cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

me262schwalbe1
Adept III

Drivers possible issue to game performance

I just got my laptop back two days ago from rma.
Before I was able to run ryse son of rome I had 40 plus fps on high settings and never had the frames drop to 18-27 fps like it is now.

I must be missing something here.
I know it is not my machine,because the parts are brand new.
I tested Rome II and Attila and it ran fine.
Then I tested Resident evil 3 and Doom Eternal and they ran fine.

I also,noticed that re3 had cutscenes audio were out of sync when they were talking thier lips did not match with their words.

I know it is not the other games or hardware of my machine.
It must be either obs settings or some steam settings or radeon drivers...
But I cant seem to figure it out yet.

I need help narrowing it down.
Any help identifying the reason for the frame drops and audio sync problems with cutscenes would be appreciated.

Windows 10 64bit
Ryzen 7 1700
Rx 580 4gb gram
32gb of ram
Radeon 20.7.1
Bios version 306
GL702ZC-WB74 Model Asus

P.s.I updated all the windows updates and drivers I could find for my model.

I am not asking for driver help,but rather support for next Radeon driver to be patch fix for my Model and Graphics Card Series.

Rx500 series .

I want to know if there is going to be a new driver that could fix and balance out issues with older games and newer games.

Ryse son of Rome,Resident Evil 3,

Doom,Rise and Shadow of the tomb raider,

Resident evil 2,Resident Evil Operation Racoon City,Rome II total war and Attila total war.

All DX 12 related games and DX 11 games support fix

In the next upcoming Radeon driver for Rx500 series Graphics.

0 Likes
60 Replies

Try to fix the white on black "inverted text" please.
Very hard to read.

Check Windows Power Plan settings.

Maybe some games now use > 4GB VRAM at "high setting" that may cause FPS drop.

0 Likes
me262schwalbe1
Adept III

ok,now there is a problem with Doom Eternal on high settings and getting 40fps.....

Um,

My GL702ZC-WB74 maxxed out Doom 2016 and get over 140+  fps with Vulkan...........

I request a Architecture fix for RX500 series please...for compatibility and patches.....and performance boosts and tweaks to make it run faster and smoother...

I will not shutup or go away until I hear from the development team,

they are gonna fix that problem.

And where the f*** is Vulkan in Doom Eternal???

cant find anywhere...

I Need to know Which Radeon Driver Version was the Last Reported Good Fix for RX500 series GPUs on the GL702ZC?

And I don't mean the Asus provided Drivers.......

don't give me crap info and blow me off ......

do not post a reply if you don't know or do not have the correct answer I am looking for my situation....

0 Likes

You probably need to talk with ASUS Support.
No specific Driver recommeded on the Website for your laptop.

Here is the link to the latest driver for Desktop RX580: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-20-7-2 
You might want to try disconnect from the internet, DDU in safe mode and remove AMD drivers, boot into normal mode, install 20.7.2 with Advanced -> Factory Reset option.
This is a User-User forum.
You should take the follwoing steps to get more support from AMD:
https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact 
File an AMD Reporting Form using the link AMD Issue Reporting Form on that page.
You can also open an email support case:

Need more help?

Contact Support
Good Luck.

0 Likes

I need to know the last known radeon driver recommended for stability and gaming performance gains for the RX580 please?

0 Likes
me262schwalbe1
Adept III

the other two links are no good.

I used the amd submitting form.

0 Likes

if performance is suffering it might be time to install windows fresh

0 Likes

I just got my laptop back from a RMA and it was already set up as asus admin.....

It was a clean fresh install and new motherboard,bottom chassis,palm rest assembly,battery and 1tb hdd ...

I just went ahead and signed into my microsoft account and updated the pc with the 20.7.1

and then I added the 20.7.2

but Im having not so good smooth gameplay with ryse son of rome.

other games like re3 and doom eternal are good but,there is low fps....like lower than what is to be expected...

on something like shadow of tomb raider or re2 remake....

I could get over 70+ fps on re2 maxed out....before...

I don't have the time to factory reset or waste more time re-downloading games again and setting up my pc...

I waited 5 months to get back on my pc...

0 Likes

me262schwalbe1 wrote:

I just got my laptop back from a RMA and it was already set up as asus admin.....

I just went ahead and signed into my microsoft account and updated the pc with the 20.7.1

and then I added the 20.7.2

but Im having not so good smooth gameplay with ryse son of rome.

I dont have the time to factory reset or waste more time re-downloading games again and setting up my pc...

I waited 5 months to get back on my pc...

It took 5 months? That is pathetic.

0 Likes

5 months of waiting for the money.....then I sent it june 22nd....and got it back july 14th...

it dies feb. 10th...so from feb 10th until I got my check ...I waited until supllies werent an issue then sent it off in late june...

0 Likes

the machine is running fine,although I think the RX500 series support is waning.....

I am seeing performance loss due to whatever they did to those drivers since feb... 10th.....

0 Likes

I use a desktop for gaming and I use a Lenovo or MacBook for field work.

My RX 480 8GB can play most games even at 4K 

0 Likes

My Rog laptop can play most games great and have performance but 4gb is kind of a limit.

I still think drivers and api instructions could be not benefitting the RX500 series well.

I already wrote two contact forms to amd...

0 Likes

I suggest more RAM would help the machine to some extent

At the end of the day, a desktop is the best option for hardcore gaming

0 Likes

Yeah,I already have 32GB of Ram in my system.

2 16GB samsung sticks.

Plus the 4GB of GDDR5 memory with the RX580 Discrete.

I use a 330 watt AC Power Adapter......

0 Likes

me262schwalbe1 wrote:

Yeah,I already have 32GB of Ram in my system.

2 16GB samsung sticks.

Plus the 4GB of GDDR5 memory with the RX580 Discrete.

I use a 330 watt AC Power Adapter......

I guess your expectations are not being met with the rig.

The RX 580 is a good device but games have become more demanding over time.

This is the desktop advantage to rip out the graphics card.

0 Likes

did I mention I have the desktop Ryzen 7 1700 in the Desktop Replacement laptop?

well,I get what you mean,however I was able to enjoy it for most everything until they made the game codes/engine harder by uping the requirements...

I don't like how company's up the requirement of games and then ,it forces people to go buy something new....

0 Likes

me262schwalbe1 wrote:

did I mention I have the desktop Ryzen 7 1700 in the Desktop Replacement laptop?

well,I get what you mean,however I was able to enjoy it for most everything until they made the game codes/engine harder by uping the requirements...

I don't like how company's up the requirement of games and then ,it forces people to go buy something new....

creep in game system requirements is slow and may not be noticable. With the new consoles the next generation games will be more demanding.

I have an R5 3600 CPU and 32GB of memory but I am not sure how viable my RTX 2080 will be looking forwards.

Next year in 2H2021 the first of the DDR5 motherboards will probably come to market. So a new forklift upgrade cycle will start over again.

0 Likes

ryse son of rome is showing issues,but im using the workarounds like keep origin open or go into system.cfg file and paste resttimer=1 or something...

t=you get the idea...

its now but i still see not so smooth during walking or running around the character or the executions moves....

havent tested other games yet...except re3,doom eternal and doom 2016.....so far they run.

re3 has issues with max settings and audio not being sync during cutscenes...

doom eternal is on all high settings and smooth but I cant go any higher......and only get 60-69 fps on avergae and it drops to 50 ish and back up.....

0 Likes

You probably need to use Email Support Request.

0 Likes

I already sent amd two forms...

0 Likes
me262schwalbe1
Adept III

The New Radeon 2020 edition drivers do not support my models AMD Freesync Moniter.

freesync support gl702zc.PNG

I installed my stock drivers using express install,in order.And then I installed the latest radeon 20.4.2 without checking factory reset....

and it still does'nt allow me to select freesync...it is greyed out.

freesync panel greyed out.PNG

0 Likes
me262schwalbe1
Adept III

radeon 19.11.3.PNG

A short term fix,but for how long....

Radeon 19.11.3

was november 18th 2019 right before 19.12.1

0 Likes
me262schwalbe1
Adept III

I used DDU and restarted.Then I used the stock driver and restarted.then I used the 2nd stock driver and restarted.

then I used the new radeon 20.7.2 driver and restarted...

I did this offline.

I made sure I had my drivers before I did it offline.

I cannot figure out which Radeon Driver will support my laptops Features of Freesync????????

0 Likes

laptop machines tend to use low cost TB panels and offer few if any features

expensive machines like Apple are different

0 Likes

according to the info I read on my device,IPS tech came a long ways and it aint cheap...

0 Likes

I have been using IPS panels for a long time. The color quality is much better.

IPS now is much less expensive and 4K HDR panels are well under $500 now

LG 27UL500-W – HARDCORE GAMES™ 

Last time I looked the price was cut and it's now below $350 so I believe it's more affordable than ever.

0 Likes

For the screen Asus went with an improved version of the 17.3-inch FHD 60 Hz matte IPS panel they put on the GL702VM, and there’s very little to complain about it.

0 Likes
me262schwalbe1
Adept III

19.12.1 works with freesync for now.

radeon 19.12.1 works freesync.PNG

Make sure all windows 10 updates are installed first,then use DDU to wipe everything.

then choose to pause windows 10 updates to longest time possible.

there is a problem with Microsoft AMD drivers that want to auto-update everytime and affect the features of freesync for this model.

I installed the two stock drivers in order and restarted ,then the june 6 2020 chipset driver for my specfic system.

then 19.12.1 since,I looked up dates of when the last 2019 driver was used before 2020 edition came.

19.12.2 and 3 I havent tested yet...but I will eventually.

The 19.12.2 and 3 are the 2020 edition.

right now I am waiting on amd to give a answer and response for support.

Im tired of the last 5 days of wasting my time trying to get the right drivers to work proplerly....

0 Likes

You should disconnect from the internet completely from before you run DDU until after you finish installing the AMD 19.12.1 driver.
Otherwise you might get What windows thinks is the correct driver installed first, followed by your install of Adrenalin 2019 19.12.1

There is an option in DDU to prevent download of Windows Drivers but it confilcts with operation of Adrenalin 2020 installer.

So just disconnect from the internet completely during the install process.

Now that you have Adrenalin 19.12.1 installed you should be able to use Windows 10 driver update and point it to:

C:\AMD\Win10-Radeon-Software-Adrenalin-2020-Edition-20.7.2-July14\Packages\Drivers\Display\WT6A_INF

That should give you Adrenalin 19.12.1 GUI/UI + 20.7.2 drivers.

Believe me it is the best of a bad bunch.

0 Likes
me262schwalbe1
Adept III

it doesnt seem to be working,when I play ryse son of rome the fps is all over the place and the performance is not good the gameplay doesnt look smooth.

I give up.

0 Likes
me262schwalbe1
Adept III

I have made sure microsoft updates were done first.

I paused the windows 10 updates.

Microsoft supplied AMD old Display and Media drivers were affecting Freesync function features.
Then I,
1:Used DDU and restarted
2:Installed asus stock radeon 17.6 first and then 17.7 
Restarted each time.
3:Installed radeon 18.2.1 and then 19.6.3
And tested freesync,it was on and working.
I'm going to test 19.12.1 today ,it also showed the freesync being on,but did'nt test it.
4: start of 19.12.2 and onwards 2020 edition does not allow amd freesync display button 
To turn on,it is greyed out.They broke the Freesync feature with my model....
Same for 20.4.1 and 20.7.1 and 20.7.2
P.S. make sure you install the supported chipset driver dated june 6th 2020 under AM4 on amd download drivers.
0 Likes

RE: I paused the windows 10 updates.
That will notstop Microsoft from updating your GPU drivers if you have none installed.

RE: start of 19.12.2 and onwards 2020 edition does not allow amd freesync display button 

To turn on,it is greyed out.They broke the Freesync feature with my model....
Same for 20.4.1 and 20.7.1 and 20.7.2

OK, Not surprised to be honest.
Many things are broken with that Adrenalin 2020 interface, such as Crossfire Options and settings, hotkeys, etc.

If you do want the latest drivers an keep the Adrenalin 19.12.1 GUI/UI you have then just

use Windows 10 driver update and point it to:

C:\AMD\Win10-Radeon-Software-Adrenalin-2020-Edition-20.7.2-July14\Packages\Drivers\Display\WT6A_INF

That should give you Adrenalin 19.12.1 GUI/UI + 20.7.2 drivers.FreeSync might still work.

0 Likes

I don't want to ...I spent a whole week trying to find the right driver....I'm stuck on the last 2019 driver until they f******* fix it!!!!

0 Likes

Did you open an email support case with AMD?
If you didn't it will be much more than one week before you see a fix, probably more like 1 year.
If you didn't file an AMD reporting form on the latest 20.7.2 driver your report wiull be ignored anyhow.

Creating a "Hybrid Driver" is quick to do and it works fine for me on RX5700XT, RX Vega, RX590, R9 Fury X, Fury, Nano, R9 390X.
It might be worth a try but fair enough I understand that you seem angry about the AMD Drivers situation.

pastedImage_4.png

pastedImage_5.png

0 Likes

yes,I opened a ticket and contacted asus and amd by email..letting them know all the issues...

Thank you for your response .

I will take this as a valuable feedback and I will forward this to our relevant team for further investigation  I hope you understand I appreciate your patience in this regard please wait for next update .

Thanks for contacting AMD

just got this yesterday

0 Likes

right now I m seeing fps drops to 40ish and 30ish when game settings of vsync are enbled and the game is not staying at a solid 60....the games right now are Ryse son of Rome,World of Warships,Resident Evil Operation Racoon City,etc...for now..

I am going to retest ACM and BC2......to re-check...my hope is to find the settings and maybe get a answer as to why my fps is all over the place....and not staying at 60 fps...with vsync/freesync...

I know what I am talking about,because I did Aliens Colonial marines,AVP 2010,Rome II,BC2,BF3,BF4 on youtube.....

proof I got the game recorded with OBS software using 1080p quality recordings and smooth gameplay....

either it was x264 or H265 ,but I cannot remember the exact settings I used back in feb....

I am getting these fps behaviour when OBS is closed and not running and as well as during gameplay and recording...

sigh,I am beginning to think it might be the old radeon 19.12.1 old driver....

I'm also think installing radeon 17.6 stock and then 17.7 stock and then 18.2.1 and then 19.6.3 and then 19.12.1 all on top of each other could be causing issues...

How do I just get the minimum?

Do I need only radeon asus stock 17.6 and 17.7 first,Then the newest radeon 2020 edition 20.4.1????

As a minimum?

P.S. I know it not the Hardware,because Asus RMA Repair Facility gave me a copy of paper charts showing all the Essential parts were replaced with new ones...

0 Likes

RE:

sigh,I am beginning to think it might be the old radeon 19.12.1 old driver....

Don't think so.

RE:
I'm also think installing radeon 17.6 stock and then 17.7 stock and then 18.2.1 and then 19.6.3 and then 19.12.1 all on top of each other could be causing issues...

Yes that will cause issues. It has in the past for me. Going from an Adrenalin 17.x.x -> 18.x.x -> 19.x.x -> 20..x.x has been a consistent mess for me in the past, using the AMD Driver Installer. 

I think need to decide which base driver you want to install, and then download the latest version of DDU, disconnect from the internet, boot into windows 10 safe mode. Run DDU to remove AMD drivers. Boot into normal mode, install the driver of your choice (say Adrenalin 2019 19.12.1). Reboot the PC after the driver installs. Then and only then reconnect to the internet. Check Adrenalin 2019 19.12.1 performance. If is seems ~ o.k. then you can decide to keep the Adrenalin GUI/UI and proceed to use Windows Device Manager to update the Drivers to 2020 20.7.2 like I explained above.

Are you absolutely sure you have not turned on Radeon Chill?

It is possible that ASUS have messed up putting your GPU back together.

What GPU Temps are reported?

GPU Utilization?

0 Likes

I'll have to use amd gpu monitor software and record my progress.

I told you the parts are new.I dont think it is messed up.

0 Likes

With my RX 480 8GB I did not have problems. Only reason I got the RTX 2080 was to perk up games at 3840x2160 but the RX 480 was not disappointing. Facet is that the RX 480 was really eye opening as to what it could do. Never did that card ever overheat.

0 Likes