cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

afernandezody
Adept II

Does my desktop (FX-8370) need a new fan?

Hello,
I bought an AMD 4 GHz FX-8370 Octa-core Desktop Processor with Wraith Cooler, Black Edition more than 3 years ago. It has always been a bit on the noisy side (located in the basement) but over the last few months, it has gotten noisier. The problem is not the noise but that it actually restarts itself; when this happens, it's very, very noisy, almost as if it were to melt. [Just for clarification it's running Ubuntu so the root of the problem is unlikely to be a buggy OS]. I have tried to clean it with compressed air, it got a bit better but still crashing every few days. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestion or any recommendation on a more powerful fan compatible with the wraith cooler/CPU combo.
Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution

If the fan is noisy most likely the bearings are worn out or needs to be lubricated again. There are YouTube videos that gives you instructions on how to add oil to a fan's bearings to make it work like new again.

If the fan intermittently stops and then starts again than most likely the fan is going bad and eventually will stop entirely.

I not sure but I don't believe there are any 3rd party compatible replacement fans that will fit in that specific Wraith cooler. You can find out the size of the Wraith Fan Cooler and see if you can adapt it to fit on the Grill using tie straps as an example. 

I believe this is the Wraith CPU Cooler that came bundled with your FX8570: https://www.ebay.com/itm/332525374012?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&item...

Cost about $37.00 including shipping at Ebay. It mentions it uses a 2.75 inch fan which equals to 70 MM fan:

AMD WRAITH SILENT COOLER w/LED light Socket FM2/FM1/AM3/AM2+/AM2/1207/939/940/754 Copper Base/Alum Heat Sink & 2.75" Fan w/Heatpipes & 4-Pin Connector Up to 125W

• AMD ORIGINAL WRAITH COOLER, Featuring near-silent 39dbA operation, and with "LED-illuminated AMD logo" on the side (see 3rd picture)
  • Copper Base/Alum Heat Sink & 3.75" Fan w/Heatpipes & 4-Pin Connector
  • Support Socket FM2/FM1/AM3/AM2+/AM2/1207/939/940/754
  • Support up to 125W CPU

The same fan at Amazon cost including shipping $48.50: https://www.amazon.com/WRAITH-SILENT-COOLER-Heatpipes-Connector/dp/B06XP5GFFH

NOTE:  I found many 70 MM size square shaped fans at Amazon.  So you can try and see if you can adapt one of those 70 MM fans by using Tie straps if it doesn't fit on your cpu cooler.

Or you can purchase for around or less than $40.00 something similar to Cooler Master Hyper212 EVO CPU Cooler (150 Watt TDP)  if your computer case is large enough to handle a CPU Cooler of that size.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

If the fan is noisy most likely the bearings are worn out or needs to be lubricated again. There are YouTube videos that gives you instructions on how to add oil to a fan's bearings to make it work like new again.

If the fan intermittently stops and then starts again than most likely the fan is going bad and eventually will stop entirely.

I not sure but I don't believe there are any 3rd party compatible replacement fans that will fit in that specific Wraith cooler. You can find out the size of the Wraith Fan Cooler and see if you can adapt it to fit on the Grill using tie straps as an example. 

I believe this is the Wraith CPU Cooler that came bundled with your FX8570: https://www.ebay.com/itm/332525374012?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&item...

Cost about $37.00 including shipping at Ebay. It mentions it uses a 2.75 inch fan which equals to 70 MM fan:

AMD WRAITH SILENT COOLER w/LED light Socket FM2/FM1/AM3/AM2+/AM2/1207/939/940/754 Copper Base/Alum Heat Sink & 2.75" Fan w/Heatpipes & 4-Pin Connector Up to 125W

• AMD ORIGINAL WRAITH COOLER, Featuring near-silent 39dbA operation, and with "LED-illuminated AMD logo" on the side (see 3rd picture)
  • Support up to 125W CPU

The same fan at Amazon cost including shipping $48.50: https://www.amazon.com/WRAITH-SILENT-COOLER-Heatpipes-Connector/dp/B06XP5GFFH

NOTE:  I found many 70 MM size square shaped fans at Amazon.  So you can try and see if you can adapt one of those 70 MM fans by using Tie straps if it doesn't fit on your cpu cooler.

Or you can purchase for around or less than $40.00 something similar to Cooler Master Hyper212 EVO CPU Cooler (150 Watt TDP)  if your computer case is large enough to handle a CPU Cooler of that size.

@elstaci wrote:

• Support up to 125W CPU

"Or you can purchase for around or less than $40.00 something similar to Cooler Master Hyper212 EVO CPU Cooler (150 Watt TDP)  if your computer case is large enough to handle a CPU Cooler of that size" is the BEST answer.

A cooler for that CPU is really inexpensive and the aftermarket will work much better, plus if a fan goes, they are easily replaced. The stock cooler's fan is proprietary, so you need to find the exact thing to do it right. FYI, replace the thermal paste once a year if you use this daily. Use something that's decent like "Arctic Silver 5", like $5 for a tube. You could rig a fan onto that cooler block as well but you're most likely shutting down from heat, so I'd fix that ASAP.

"It worked before you broke it!"

Hi @elstaci,

Yeah, you're right in that the fan came with the CPU and the shutdown seems to be happening because of excessive heat. Very useful tips: I will follow them and shop for a new fan. Thanks.