displayport 1.0 not support 144mhz all resolutions

27" Монитор HP 27xq [3WL54AA]

amd radeon r9 270x (driver 19.2.1)

windows 7 х64

cable displayport 1.0 

help please from russia witch love

0 Likes
5 Replies

According to this old thread, DP 1.0 doesn't have the bandwidth to support 144 mhz: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440772-displayport-10-vs-12-for-1440p-ips144hz/ 

Posted August 30, 2015 · Best Answer

I've tried googling this, and I'm having an unusually hard time finding out the maximum capabilities of different versions of displayport.

Displayport 1.2 offers twice the bandwidth. Both support 4K at 60hz.

However, 144hz at 1440p requires much greater bandwidth than 4K at 60hz. So I'm wondering if displayport 1.0 can even handle the 144Hz.

144Hz at 1440p requires about the same amount of bandwidth as 4K 60Hz. 12Gbps for 4K@60 vs 12.7Gbps for 1440@144. DisplayPort 1.2 can carry up to 17.28Gbps, ~4K 75Hz. DisplayPort 1.1 maxes out at half that, and is not capable of 2560x1440 at 144Hz.

But there are no 2560x1440 144Hz monitors with DisplayPort 1.1 or below anyway for that exact reason, and the last graphics cards with DP 1.1 were the GeForce 500 series cards, so it's a bit of a moot point, you won't be dealing with a DisplayPort connection below 1.2 with any newer hardware. And if you're just shopping for cables, be aware that DisplayPort cables do not have revisions. There is only one type of DisplayPort cable.

From Wikipedia concerning Displayport various versions: DisplayPort - Wikipedia 

If your monitor supports 1080P at 1920 x 1080 at 144 Mhz than it probably will work. But your monitor DP must be able to support DP 1.0.

I believe all Displayport versions are backwards compatible.

According to this Review on the R9 270X, it has Displayport version 1.2 so how is it you have Displayport version 1.0? AMD Radeon R9 270 Graphics Card Roundup - HardwareZone.com.my 

leyvin
Miniboss

Your Radeon 9 270X and HP 27XQ both have DisplayPort 1.2., so that shouldn't be an issue.

Instead the problem is almost certainly with your DisplayPort 1.0 (RDR) Cable. 

Keep in mind that DisplayPort Cables come in:

RBR (Limited DisplayPort 1.0 • 1080p60, 1440p60, 2160p30)

HBR (DisplayPort up to 1.1 Full)

HBR2 (DisplayPort up to 1.2 Full)

HBR3 (DisplayPort up to 1.4 Full)

RBR and HBR Cables today are "Uncommon" to say the least., with HBR2 / HBR3 being the ones typically available.

I'm not entirely sure how to check the DisplayPort Cable version; any more than I know of any way to check between a Standard and High-Bandwidth HDMI Cable. 

You'd think given DisplayPort is from VESA, rather than the Digital Transmission Standard Commission … with VESA specifically existing for the purposes of Standardisation of the Computer Display Industry (the 80s were a much more "Interesting" Era in terms of Standards before VESA), that they would've required the include, like with their DVI Standard to essentially have a form of differentiator.

For, DVI there were specific (mostly compatible) Pin Layouts that denoted DVI-A, DVI-I, DVI-D plus the Single and Dual Link Modes; so that at a glance you could see what type of Cable it was.

With DisplayPort and HDMI., well you just kinda have to hope the Manufacture lists it in the wrapped text around it (which not all do)

I mean just a simple Grounding / Shorting Pin on the Outside would frankly be enough so there's a way to see the Cable Version.

Say... None = RBR, 1 = HBR, 2 = HBR2, 3 = HBR3... that way they remain Pin Compatible and it would be down to the Device Manufacturer to support said Versioning; but it could be easily done with a simple and cheap circuit.

In said way a Display / Graphics Card (Driver) in the Setup / Control Utility be able to list what is and isn't available due to the Cable being used.

Well, anyways... either get another DisplayPort Cable, or just use a HDMI Cable instead., as that display only support 1440p60 or 1080p144; a Standard HDMI (up to 1.4b) is more than enough.

It'll even support HDR10 and FreeSync without any issues.  

mornet
Journeyman III

I have cable displayport V1.2a but this not supported 144mhz ALL (random) resolutions ....

0 Likes
mornet
Journeyman III

what cable displayport do i need?...

0 Likes
mornet
Journeyman III

HBR (DisplayPort) !)

0 Likes