Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Zec
Journeyman III

Cards concerned : RX 7900 Series Temperature Issues

Hello,

Im reading alot of things about this problem but one think isnt clear to me.

Is the 7900XT concerned too?  Or only 7900 XTX ?

I dont really get the answer to how define if a card is MBA or not.

There is no indication like : 7900 XT MBA on box or anywhere.  So how none expert guys are supposed to see if the card he gonna buy wont melt?

Exemple : (i guess AIB mean custom card)

7900 xt asus tuf  are AIB i think , are they going to burn out?  the version XTX is going to burn?

7900 XT sapphire pulse is AIB i guess , are she going to burn out?  the version XTX is going to burn?

Well i hop my message was clear and not that supid

greatings

0 Likes
1 Reply

It is not stupid and people can get easily confused about the situation. English isn't my native language, so please forgive me if my sentences aren't fully correct. TL;DR: The MBA XT cards can also be affected by temperature issues, however it appears to be a lot less common than on MBA XTX cards. Custom designs like your mentioned Asus 7900 XT TUF or Sapphire 7900 XT Pulse aren't affected to this very issue, since they are using a completely different cooling solution.

MBA, AIB and so on.

MBA is short for Made by AMD, these are also called reference cards. These cards are, as the name suggests made by AMD (or rather produced for AMD), but they aren't only sold by AMD directly under their own branding, but also sold by board partners like Sapphire, Asrock, Power Color, XFX, Asus, Gigabyte and so on. If you buy a reference card from one of the board partners, it is not made by them (so for example if you get a reference card from XFX, the card itself is not made by XFX), however their own warranty terms and service conditions apply.

AIB basically means just Add In Board, so more or less a graphics card. Board partners like Sapphire, XFX and so on are often refered to as AIB partners. It doesn't automatically refer to a custom design, which might lead to some confusion. Often enough MBA cards are mentioned along AIB if they aren't bought directly from AMD, but are rather distributed by the partners. The easiest way to call non reference designs is simply custom design or just "custom" - it referes to a card which is actually fully designed and produced by an AIB partner, they are using their own custom made cooling solution and in most cases also their own, custom designed and manufactured PCB. Examples include Sapphire Nitro, Asus TUF, Power Color Red Devil or XFX Merc.

How to define a MBA card.

The easiest way is to check the product images and / or cross reference it on the manufacturers own website. If the images already show a reference card, you can be to 99% sure you are looking at an MBA / reference card. For instance if a shop lists a Power Color AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24GB GDDR6 card, you can check Power Colors website and actually notice it is indeed a MBA card. If it would be a Power Color Hellhound AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24GB GDDR6 card, it would be a custom design made by Power Color itself.

Temperature issues and information so far

As of now it seems like only MBA (reference) cards are affected, it doesn't matter whether they are AMD branded or branded by AIB partners, since they all use the very same cooling solution and are just being repackaged by the partners. So far I haven't heard of any custom designs which suffer from overheating.

It is important to note that not all MBA cards are faulty, there are cards which run absolutely fine. My own reference XTX for example evens out at around 77°C hotspot with fans spinning at around 1750 rpm. I have been using it since almost three weeks now and haven't noticed any odd temperatures or throttling. The card is installed in standard horizontal direction by the way. As of today it is not known what exactly causes the issues, latest rumors speak about a batch of faulty vapor chambers, which were assambled on some MBA coolers.

The XT models seem to be less likely affected, but it can also happen. Igor from website and YT channel Igor's Lab for example has a 7900 XT which is overheating. So far if you really want to avoid the issue, your best bet would be buying a custom card, doesn't matter if it is an XT or XTX custom card. Buying an MBA XT would most likely the second best way to stay clear of a faulty card.

So as for your question: The Asus 7900 XT TUF is a custom card and thus unlikely to suffer from temperature issues, the same goes for the Sapphire 7900 XT Pulse, which again is a custom card and thus unlikely to be affected by temperature issues, since it also uses a completely different, custom cooler.

0 Likes