cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

TJSefcik
Journeyman III

Cannot launch the AMD Software Compatibility Tool

I am trying to correct the problem that the "AMD Radeon Software you have launched is not compatible with your currently installed graphics driver."  I went to the website that is detailed in the "Radeon Software Warning" that appears after attempting to launch the AMD Radeon Software.  The Software Compatibility Tool "appears" to download, but I receive an "Error Downloading AMD Software" Message.  I do not know how to correct this error, ergo I am now unable to clear whatever "bug" is preventing me from launching the AMD graphics software.  I have religiously maintained the Windows 10 System Updates.  I do not know if Windows 10 is updating my Radeon RX580 Graphics card per AMD.    My currently installed driver is provided by Advanced Micro Devices, Inc., v26.20.15029.27017, dated 15 May 2020, and signed by "Microsoft  Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher".   When I try to update the driver via the Windows 10 Device Manager, Windows 10 tells me that the current driver is the best driver.  How do I perform a reset of the RX-580 Card so I can start over with a better AMD Driver?   Where do I find a compatible driver for the card?  Is it time to find a new graphics card?

Fortunately, my PC video has not been degraded to the point that it is impeding my use of the PC.  However, I am running 3D-modeling software such as SOLIDWORKS and Fusion 360, so I would like to maximize the performance of the equipment that I am using.  However, I am receiving an AMD "General" Message that says that I have "one or more high-DPI panels are connected to my system.  Enabling Virtual Super Resolution will increase your resolution and allow you to . . . "  Is there someone out there that knows how I can fix this problem - or let me know that I need to purchase a new video card?  

Tom

tjsebusiness@gmail.com

//

0 Likes
6 Replies
FunkZ
Paragon

Your current driver from 05-15-2020 is quite old.

You can download the latest Adrenalin software package here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/radeon-500-series/radeon-rx-500-series/radeon-rx-580

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT

Before installing the latest RX580 AMD driver you might want to disable Windows Update for Drivers to prevent Windows from downloading and installing a different driver than the one your installed: elevenforum- enable-or-disable-include-drivers-with-windows-updates-in-windows-11.2232/ 

After you install the latest driver that @FunkZ  linked to download and run GPU-Z and make sure all the appropriate boxes at the bottom are check marked and showing the correct AMD driver installed and data about your RX580.

NOTE: Unless you just want to basic AMD driver than you can use Device Manager for that but if you want all the full features of the drivers through Radeon Settings then I would download the full RX580 driver package from the link in the previous reply in the future.

EDIT: By the way AMD Forums has a forum for ProRender that has a SolidWorks Forum included: https://community.amd.com/t5/solidworks-discussions/bd-p/solidworks-discussions

IF you have any issues with SolidWorks that might be a good place to ask for information even if you are not using AMD ProRender Plugin.

0 Likes

I'm having the exact same issue as TJSefcik. I have the RX5700 that up till last year used to update with AMD software, but now refuses saying either not compatible or the compatibility tool saying "error downloading AMD software" with no resolution? An to reply to FunkZ, any attempt to use the latest or earlier Adrenalin software package results in the same error, not compatible.

0 Likes

Instead of using the Compatibility Tool or Auto Detect use the direct download link, save the file and execute it locally.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/downloads/drivers.html/graphics/radeon-rx/radeon-rx-5000-series/amd-r...

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
0 Likes
Jimbeam
Journeyman III

See post below

0 Likes
Jimbeam
Journeyman III

Honestly, all of those issues I was having with not being able to update the software or use the AMD updater happened about two months ago, but I did not have the time to try and figure out why. And since my windows device driver was working ok, I left it be. So last week I had some time to research and came across this post from TJSefcik with the exact same issues I had.

When FunkZ posted this link (https://www.amd.com/en/support/downloads/drivers.html/graphics/radeon-rx/radeon-rx-5000-series/amd-r...) to try, I saw the "Auto Detect & Install Updater" at the top, I decided to try it again, but this one had a newer revision number than the one I tried in April.

So the newer revision worked just fine, it auto installed the latest Adrenalin Edition with not one issue. I have to say, the latest version of the updater fixed something that had broke in the earlier version, I have to assume?

0 Likes