cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

ultra99
Adept II

bought an MSI B450 motherboard....does it support 5000 series cpu out of box?

I bought an MSI B450 motherboard, and I know it supports 5000 series cpu with the new bios. However, I don't know if it supports it out of the box. Is there a way to know BEFORE using the motherboard? Don't want to break the seal...

0 Likes
9 Replies

It will be extremely useful to know the exact MSI B450 Motherboard you have to be able to answer your question.

Also the specific Ryzen 5000 series you are planning on buying.

0 Likes

my bad.

MSI B450i Gaming Plus MAX Wifi

Ryzen 5 5600G

0 Likes

Thats better thanks for the update.

According to your MSI Support for your motherboard you need BIOS version 7A40vB4.zip installed for the motherboard to recognize and boot up with your Ryzen 5 5600G: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450I-GAMING-PLUS-MAX-WIFI#support-main-block-qvl

Screenshot 2021-11-21 073159.png

BIOS version 7A40vB4 came out in 02/09/2021. So if your motherboard was manufactured after 02/2021 your processor should work out of the box. If it was manufactured before 02/2021 then you will need to update the BIOS on your motherboard: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450I-GAMING-PLUS-MAX-WIFI#down-bios

when a Motherboard is manufactured it installs the latest BIOS Version at that time.

Asus Motherboards have a White Sticker with the current Motherboard BIOS Version on it. ASRock the BIOS Version written on the Motherboard's BIOS Chip.

But from what I read MSI Motherboards doesn't have any indication of the BIOS version installed unless it is written on the MSI Retail box.

If you can't locate the BIOS anywhere on the Retail box or Motherboard the only thing you can do is open a MSI Support ticket and give them your Motherboard's Serial Number and they can tell you which BIOS version you have installed.

Or Simply install the 5000G processor and see if it is recognized and boots up. If it doesn't boot up then most likely you need to update the BIOS on your new motherboard.

I see by your Motherboard's Spec it doesn't have the BIOS FLASHBACK feature where you can update the BIOS simply by turning on power and using a USB Flash drive and hitting the BIOS FLASHBACK button.

So in case your motherboard is an older manufactured MSI Motherboard BEFORE 02/2021 you will need to either :

1- Apply for a AMD BOOT KIT to update your BIOS

2-Find a compatible processor that will allow you to boot into BIOS to update it to the correct BIOS version

3-Find a computer shop to update your BIOS on your motherboard

4-See if MSI Support will update it for you under Warranty.

0 Likes

thanks for the reply guys.

It says on the board MS-7A40 Version 2.1. Does that mean anything?

0 Likes

MS-7A40 is how all the BIOS versions start with.

But the different versions ends with a different "B" (B1 - B6) at the end of 7A40.

I have no idea what version 2.1 is unless that is the version of the Motherboard itself.

EDIT: Hey I just found out how you can find out the Month and Year your motherboard was manufactured: https://us.msi.com/page/warranty/mb

Also on your MSI Retail Box has the Motherboard's Serial Number as example 2 from MSI Warranty:

If your Serial Number after the "B" is 2102 or newer that means your motherboard was manufactured on 02/2021.

Seems like MSI Warranty made an error. The image is showing a "17" not a "14" which means that motherboard was manufactured on 12/2017 not on 12/2014.

0 Likes

Nice find!

Mine's B2012000, so that means Dec. 2020. No 5000 support out of the box. Thanks for the effort!!

No, It wouldn't have the proper BIOS version installed if manufactured on 12/2020.

According to MSI BIOS Download page the version installed should be 7A40vB3 you need version 7A40vB4.

0 Likes
Vieira7
Journeyman III

Here's a list of B450 and X470 motherboards from MSI, ASUS, Gigabyte and ASRock that will support Zen 3 based AMD Ryzen 5000 Series CPUs.

0 Likes