cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

hardcoregames_
Big Boss

Re: BOMBSHELL: NO Ryzen 4000 Series "Zen 3" support for 300/400 series chipset motherboards

I have a MSI X470 Gaming Plus and due to the smaller 128 Mb BIOS there are some problems with it. The cost of 256 Mb BIOS chips is more than double the cost of 128 Mb. Now MSI has the MAX lineup with B450 and X470 with 256 Mb BIOS but that does not help my old board one bit.

I have a MSI X570-A PRO and AFAIK I can run most processors on it now that AGESA 1.0.0.4 supports everything. More recently I install 1.0.0.5 which fixes a lot of known issues. I am not sure when 1.0.0.6 will be released but the imminent release of Ryzen 4000 series suggests it will be soon.

0 Likes
colesdav
MVP

Re: BOMBSHELL: NO Ryzen 4000 Series "Zen 3" support for 300/400 series chipset motherboards

0 Likes
pokester
MVP

Notice that the guy from AMD they quote even said they could have supported some of the new processors and are just choosing not to. He asked that his name not be revealed.

0 Likes
colesdav
MVP

Yes I noticed that.

Glad you watched the video.

Tech Deals have been critical of some AMD GPUs in past reviews.

They seem to agree with the decision not to allow BIOS support for new AMD CPU on X470 motherboards just because of the confusion it would cause amongst consumers.

My Momma always said buying an AMD Motherboard or AMD GPU was like a box of chocolates. 
You never know what you gonna get.
Forrest Gump - "Life is like a box of chocolate" - YouTube 

pokester
MVP

Frankly it is still confusing. The fact that it is still on AM4 creates that confusion. If they were going to choose to not support boards that could support it, then they should make all current board owners buy new boards and call it AM4+.  They say they want to avoid confusion then go with a path that frankly will still be confusing to the base they believe would not understand. 

0 Likes

The problem there is the X570/B550 which are Socket AM4 and have Zen 3 support which prevents that. One solution would be to limit Zen 3 to a new socket, AM4+, with a brand new chipset series, the X670/B650, which would handle two generations of chips, the Ryzen 4000 and Ryzen 5000 series, the way Intel is doing so when they come out with Zen 5 in 2022, DDR5, USB4, and PCIe 5 would be more mature, more devices on the market, and would also give time for them to be finalized if there was a delay.

The other solution, of course, is for AMD to stop being obtuse and release the required code to the OEMs so the blame could be shifted to the OEMs if they do not implement that support.

hardcoregames_
Big Boss

AMD could easily simplify things with backwards and forwards compatibility. It is not hard to do.

0 Likes
pokester
MVP

Several of the reputable hardware sites have now come out and said that AMD is blatantly choosing not to support Zen3 and that B450 and B470 boards absolutely could support it. 

0 Likes
sol
Adept II

Yepp, serious tension is building up. It's only a beginning. AMD's putting Zen 3 sales at risk and i can't understand why. Permanent PR damage is a bad trade-off for a short-term money. 

pokester
MVP

I found an interesting take on why AMD really made this choice. This was brought up by "notanapplefan" on his youtube channel. 

x370 and x470 and their B variants are not made by AMD. AMD makes the x570 and upcoming b550. So they make make a cut of the money on all those boards sold. 

I have now seen 5 different reputable tech sites saying that this is crap. AMD most certainly could support Zen3 on B450 and X470 board, even at 16mb bios size. They just don't want to. 

0 Likes