cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Black Screen with AsRock MB & AMD Ryzen

Hello.
I am about to reassemble the same PC build for the third time with a new replacement of the same motherboard (under guarantee, but only for replacement--not reimbursement. I would change brand if it were not for this guarantee restriction) ) and I am afraid I will get another black screen (no video at all). What should I do to prevent this from happening again? Or what should I do before reassembling the PC that can make it possible to solve the black screen problem when it happens again? Below is what has happened until now. Thanks!

SPECIFICATIONS:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor
MB: ASRock X570 Creator ATX AM4
Memory: Kingston HyperX Predator 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3333 CL16 Memory
Storage: Western Digital Red SA500 2 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
PSU: Corsair HX Platinum 1000 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX
GPU. Zotac GeForce RTX 2070 Super Mini Edition (8 GB)
(All parts still under guarantee)

HISTORY:
1. The newly-assembled PC worked perfectly for a month, OS regularly updated. It was then left unused for 2 months.
2. After that period, when powering up, all fans work, but no video signal at all (black screen). Storage is M2 card, so no LED to see whether any OS activity. Troubleshooting listed below (*)
3. Corresponded with ASRock helpdesk; after lengthy correspondence they instructed me to return the motherboard saying it must be faulty. So a motherboard replacement was ordered and installed.
4. Then exactly the same as under point 2: PC worked perfectly for some weeks, OS updated. Then left unused for a month, again "black screen" when attempting power up.
5. Sent both CPU and motherboard back for replacement (shop will not accept reimbursement or exchange for different model).

I will reassemble the PC, but then expect getting a black screen again at some random point. While the PC is still working, what can I do that will help me out of the next "black screen" event without having to send parts back for replacement again?

I do not think it has to do with the OS or the BIOS, because when the PC worked again after motherboard replacement (point 4), it was exactly the same OS as under point 1, working perfectly.

(*)
- removed all non-essential peripherals
- tried with different display
- tried with different HDMI cable
- tried with DisplayPort on motherboard
- CMOS reset
- CPU re-seat
- tried with different RAM
- tried with only 1 bar of RAM, in different slots
- tried with storage (OS) in both M2 slots
- sent "Dr Debug" codes and footage to AsRock helpdesk

0 Likes
9 Replies

When it powers up is the computer case HDD LED light flickering or on solid while booting up?

If it is that indicates the PC is booting into Windows but without video output.

When you power on are there any Motherboard Trouble LED lights lit? Like CPU,RAM, VGA, or BIOS?

Sound like you need to ask at Nvidia Forums because it could be an issue with your GPU card or Nvidia Drivers. If BIOS checks  all the hardware on the Motherboard and passes, all Trouble LED lights turn off, then you should have a silver or white VGA Trouble light on if not Video output.

If everything powers on and the Motherboard's Trouble LEDs all turn off and the HDD LED light on the computer case is constantly flickering or on solid that, to me, seems to indicate a GPU or VGA Driver issue.

What were ASRock Dr.Debug codes?

By the way you won't get any video output from the Motherboard's video output ports since you don't have a APU (Processor with Integrated Graphics).

Have you tried another GPU Card to see if your get Video Output? 

If you are having CPU or RAM issue either the CPU or RAM Trouble LED light on the motherboard would be illuminated. But if your removed all non-essential peripherals except your Monitor and Keyboard/Mouse then what was the Dr. Debug code or Trouble LED lit?

NOTE: If it was a defective CPU it wouldn't work for awhile and then go bad each time. If it was defective you will have issues all the time. Not just when you don't use the PC for an extend amount of time.

But if you want to see if AMD believes your Processor might be defective open a AMD Service Request - Warranty and ask them from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

Thanks for your comment, elstaci.
- Case has no HDD LED, so cannot check HDD activity.
- Motherboard has "Dr Debug" codes, which I mentioned in my correspondence with AsRock: they suggested the code sequence (ending with "02" then switching off) had to do with a RAM issue. Tried other brand, and in different slots, no success. After the first rebuild, the DrDebug code display even showed codes not listed in the documentation, so I am not sure they are of any help in this instance.
- GPU: upon rebuilding I will first enter and update BIOS without GPU installed; if problem repeats, then I will try out your steps to determine GPU or VGA driver health.
- I did try with other GPU (Zotac Geforce GT 710), but no success.
- The CPU is also being replaced with a new one (no reimbursement option).

One forum user suggested the culprit may be the M2 SSD, which is supposed to run all the time and not be unused for long periods of time.

0 Likes

That eliminates the GPU card since you installed another one with the same results.

Strange that your Computer Case doesn't have a HDD LED light on it. I thought that was standard for all computer cases. The HDD LED light, in my opinion, it quite important. It lets you know whether the computer is booting up or if the HDD is active all the time etc.

You can purchase a cable set that includes both the HDD & Power LED, Power and Reset switches. They are quite inexpensive. I purchase one to replace my HDD and Power LED Lights on my computer that were having problems. 

When I looked at your manual I didn't see any connection for the HDD than further down the manual It did show the connection on the Motherboard:

Screenshot 2021-10-26 150056.png

I would install the HDD LED light that way you will know if your Windows Drive is working or not. If you computer case doesn't have a hole to insert the HDD LED then you can use a Soldering tip to melt a hole the same size as the LED Bulb. That was what I needed to do when I replaced my HDD LED which was smaller than the one I purchased. Then you can use a dab of hot glue to keep the LED in place.

If nothing else you can just connect the LED to the HDD LED Port and leave it hanging in a place you can see it. 

I never heard if a M.2 SSD was left powered off for an extended time period it would have problems. But I guess it is possible. But SSDs are basically solid state electronics so it shouldn't have those types of issues. 

One way to check is by connecting temporarily another SATA HDD or testing the M.2 drive in another computer when the problem occurs.

First time I see a Motherboard without any TROUBLE LEDs on it. Dr. Debug is good if the codes are recognized.

Does  ASRock Support believe you need to RMA your motherboard to be checked?

Also if the problem occurs after a long period of time of inactivity it could be something mechanical such as overheating because a Fan is not turning on or even the PSU.

I'll certainly include a LED connection to monitor the OS activity--omitting it was a mistake. Thanks for the detailed explanation. Problem was explained to AsRock tech support who advised me to send the MB for repair. This will be the third copy of same MB that I am installing. All fans worked at power up.

What exactly do you mean by "even the PSU"? I read on some forums that the PSU can be a possible culprit for black screen events.

Thanks

One thing I learned when I contacted Asus Support chat for my motherboard is that they seem too eager to tell you to RMA the motherboard.

By PSU I meant it is possible that the PSU is not outputting the proper power to the GPU Power connection to allow the GPU Card to work.

On the GPU card there should be some sort of LED light to show if the GPU card is getting proper power or not from the PSU.

I have a Nvidia GTX1070 and when I have proper power the GPU's LED light is white and on, If I am getting bad power or no power the GPU's LED is red, as an example only. Other GPUs might be different.

NOTE: When I upgraded from a AM3+ PC to a Ryzen PC I had no video outputs. After more than a day of troubleshooting I decided to take my GPU to have it tested. At the Computer Shop it worked immediately. Then I brought my entire PC without monitor or keyboard to the same computer shop. I started having video output immediately. Then I knew it was a BIOS or a Monitor issue and not my new Motherboard or GPU card. As an example in my case. Luckily the computer shop didn't charge me a fee for just testing the hardware. I gave him $30.00 for his efforts anyways as a token of my appreciation.

I found out that I did have video output to my 2K TV set but not to my 4k Monitor. Once I was able to enter BIOS I changed the BIOS Setting to CSM Mode (Legacy) and immediately I started having video output to my 4k Monitor.

Thanks for this, elstaci: your experience might be just the information I need!

deepdelirum
Adept I

Have you tried booting the system form usb? Best case with anonther OS than the one you acctually use. In example, try Ubuntu from USB and test the hardware. When it works, then install to the SSD an try again. if it still works, you can eliminate the hardware from your list of possible reasons and go on searching the reason.

I did try with Windows Media Creation Tool process and also System Restore from an external backup of the system I had saved on an external drive, but no success. Will bear the Ubuntu troubleshoot option in mind, thanks.

0 Likes

Mistake in my parts list: the SSD was actually changed for a WD Blue SSD (2000 GB, M.2; Protocol AHCI (SATA)) .

0 Likes