Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

kaz_0909
Journeyman III

BIOS for GL702ZC (RYZEN LAPTOP)

Hello,

Owners of the Asus GL702ZC laptop, which runs a Ryzen 1700 and an RX580, have been discussing over at the dedicated thread for this laptop at notebookreview (Asus ROG GL702ZC owners lounge | Page 175 | NotebookReview ) the possibility of Asus releasing a BIOS for the lapotp that would allow and the Ryzen 3000 CPU`s to be used in it -  it's something this community of owners would really like to see happen so that we can purchase the new CPU lineup.  The CPU on the GL702ZC is a desktop CPU and can be removed with little effort from the laptop and thus swapped out for a newer CPU provided 1) the TDP is the same, in this case if it is 65w and 2) that there is BIOS that can be flashed that will support the 3000 series.  However, Asus don't appear to show any signs of releasing a BIOS that will allow any of the newer CPU`'s to run on it.  Some forum members have mentioned that something similar happened to the Acer Helios 500 - a laptop that uses the desktop Ryzen CPU`'s - and that members complained to AMD that Acer weren't releasing and newer BIOS's and AMD put a little pressue on Acer, who in turn released a BIOS.  My question is: who would I write to in AMD to find out more about the possibilliyt of a BIOS update for us GL702ZC owners?  Who might be able to encourage Asus to release a BIOS that woulkd allow 3000 cpus to run.. any suiggestions wold be appreciated.

13 Replies

asus update can find drivers and BIOS updates

0 Likes

The problem is Asus have never enabled newer chips on this laptop with newer bios version. They just haven't made them!

0 Likes
technerd88
Journeyman III

I would also like to see something done about this!!!! It's not rocket science. I think they should update it real quick for us so we can buy some ryzen 3000 goodness

Yep, I agree. I've tried to contact them directly but the technicians are no help. Perhaps send an email yourself to them asking who to contact.

jhsvip
Journeyman III

我尝试着移植了一份BIOS,谁有兴趣测试一下?

我移植了Strix B350i gaming  ver6042,如果能正常点亮的话它可以支持到AMD 3000系列。

注意:刷入这个测试的BIOS未经过测试,有很大机率无法启动,一旦无法启动就需要使用编程器来恢复原厂BIOS!对于由刷入此BIOS造成的一切损失后果自负!假如你刷入了这个BIOS,那么代表你同意冒此风险!

使用后请反馈一下使用结果,谢谢!

Translation:

Screenshot 2022-06-11 234746.png

0 Likes

Anyone tried it and updated the CPU?

0 Likes

0 Likes

You are incorrect. Go to the support page for the motherboard and it shows you CPU's supported and which bios revision you need for each CPU. The 6402 the above poster mentions supports all the way up to 5000 series! See Link.

https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-b350-i-gaming-model/helpdesk_cpu/

0 Likes

Is the bios modified?

0 Likes
tkalfaoglu
Adept I

I fail to understand why they wouldn't support this.. They are going to sell CPU's en masse..

Because ASUS have to do it. Not AMD. SHouldn'tbe that hard though.

0 Likes
psiboy
Adept I

It would have been nice if AMD kept their support promise for so many generations on one socket, one board with bios Update. Surely adding support for newer cpu's in the bios would only be a day or two's work for one Bios tech.

0 Likes