cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

cantons
Journeyman III

Best AMD eGPU that works with boot camp and limited to two thunderbolt 2.0

I'm using an R9 m370x. I'm running Windows 10 on a Mac but I only use Windows for VR. I know my R9 m370x is not fast enough for the PSVR (20 fps). I recently gave up on VR until I found out about the eGPU option. My current understanding is plugging the eGPU into the thunderbolt ports for connection? I'm looking to test if I can get better fps using an eGPU. I only have the thunderbolt 2.0 version on my mac. Having two Thunderbolt 2.0 ports, am I going to be too limited for an eGPU capable of VR? Also, do you think I'll be forced to get apple version of eGPU for compatibility purposes? A previous post said that for VR, I'd need ,"Radeon Pro 580 or better." The game I'm wanting to play is not optimized though so the eGPU might need to be quite a bit better than that. Thanks for any suggestions!

Message was edited by: Stephen Cantonwine

5 Replies

you are better off with a desktop PC for VR and you may want to get a Vega64 which has enough horsepower to handle the workload

0 Likes

You are probably right about a desktop but I don't have a lot of money to throw at this. I'm just looking to see if it's possible to do with what I have, save the eGPU. Apple has eGPUs at their local store so I was fixin' to see if they'd let me plug one in and test the setup. They seemed willing. I'm just here to see if an eGPU from AMD would be a better test at like BestBuy or some other local computer store as I've heard bad things about apple GPUs in general.

0 Likes

eGPU products I have seen are mostly targeted at the retail display market where stores like McDonalds have digital menus etc

0 Likes

Just for your Information only. Latest Apple High Sierra has removed the feature to run Thunderbolt and Thunderbolt 2: Thunderbolt, Thunderbolt 2 eGPU compatibility purged from macOS High Sierra beta 5 .

Found this very good website that shows you all the eGPUs that can be used with Thunderbolt 1,2, & 3 and Apple and Windows OS: Build Guides by users - eGPU.io

Note: Just input what you are looking for and it will list all GPU compatible with the OS version and GPU card. Also you can always purchase a Thunderbolt 2.0 - Thunderbolt 3.0 adapter to install and use a 3.0 eGPU docking station.

0 Likes

I did a search for eGPU and there are very few available. The multiple panel market mostly ran for DisplayPort which with its multiple stream transport can handle 3 HDMI panels each.

So given some of AMD's recent workstation cards with 4 DisplayPort connections, it can handle 12 HDMI displays which is more than McDonalds and other restaurants presently use.

USB to VGA exist and USB to HDMI also exist which is an option for low bandwidth applications.

0 Likes