Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

chippy1
Adept II

Asrock B450m pro4 usb 3.0 issues

This is my issue

when i try to use the front panel usb 3.0 ports on my case i get portable drive disconnects and reconnects over and over again while transfering files between both drives.

My only fix is to plug the usb 3.0 case cable into the usb 2.0 motherboard header using adapter. is this the usb issue everyone is talking about and will it get fixed soon as its been nearly one year.

This makes my usb 3.0 front panel ports unuseable at the moment.

0 Likes
35 Replies

Check to see if you have a very new BIOS Update.

AMD is aware of the USB disconnect issue and sent out a BIOS Update to all motherboard manufacturers to fix the problem.

If the BIOS doesn't fix the issue then you need to let AMD know either through their Bug Report in AMD Radeon or opening a AMD Service request from here : https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

0 Likes

There is new Bios updates but Asrock give this warning which has put me off trying newer Bios updates.

*ASRock do NOT recommend updating this BIOS if Pinnacle, Raven or Summit Ridge CPU is being used on your system.

I am using the 2400G

0 Likes

This is why it is important for OPs to post their computer information.

Yes, If you have a processor that will be disabled by updating the BIOS then DON't DO IT.  You might not be able to downgrade the BIOS afterwards and you have a useless  processor.

In that case open a ASRock Support ticket and asked them how you can get a BIOS version with the fix for the USB 400 & 500 Motherboard series.

0 Likes

Other motherboard brands dont give this warning before updating Bios so i dont know what to think

0 Likes

Each Motherboard Manufacturer BIOS is different from other manufacturer's BIOS. 

The BIOS is specific for the Motherboard in which it was intended to be installed.

Also depends if you have 400 or 500 Series motherboard.

So you can't compare by what other Motherboard Manufacturer BIOS are like.

EDIT: According to Tom's  Hardware the BIOS Fix does include the B450 Motherboard but for the Ryzen 3000 & 5000 Series Processor and not your APU: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-issuing-usb-fix-for-ryzen-chips-bios-patch-coming-in-early-apr...

AMD hasn't provided further clarity about the fix or the nature of the underlying problem, but the issues seemed confined to Ryzen 3000 and 5000 series CPUs in 500- and 400-series motherboards (i.e., X570, X470, B550, and B450) and consisted of random dropouts for USB-connected devices. The complaints encompassed several different types of USB devices, including unresponsive external capture devices, momentary keyboard connection drops, slow mouse responses, issues with VR headsets, external storage devices, and USB-connected CPU coolers.

Download AMD latest 400 series CHIPSET driver package and see if that helps with your USB issues from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/b450

Also open a AMD Service Request and see if it also affects your APU processor from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

Thanks for reply i will give it a go tonight when i have time and report back. The Drivers i am using are older this is my version i am using now Chipset(v2.11.26.106) and new version is amd_chipset_software_2.13.27.501

Still not working, firstly i updated the Bios to 3.90 and the installed a fresh windows and the new drivers but no change. 

I am starting to wonder if there is more to the issue like a bad motherboard. This is what happens I start transferring from portable drive to portable drive both plugged in the case usb 3.0s, it starts transferring and then slows down to a stock pretty quick and then finally the drives or drive disappear and then I get this message  error 0x800701b1 a device which does not exist was specified.

If  use the rear usb 3.0 ports no issues at all, only on the front panel usb 3.0  

0 Likes

Still not working, firstly i updated the Bios to 3.90 and the installed a fresh windows and the new drivers but no change. 

I am starting to wonder if there is more to the issue like a bad motherboard. This is what happens I start transferring from portable drive to portable drive both plugged in the case usb 3.0s, it starts transferring and then slows down to a stock pretty quick and then finally the drives or drive disappear and then I get this message  error 0x800701b1 a device which does not exist was specified.

If  use the rear usb 3.0 ports no issues at all, only on the front panel usb 3.0  

0 Likes

If the USB 3.0 works in the rear of the computer but not in the front of the computer case it could be an issue with the computer case USB cables or USB Ports.

The rear USB Ports are part of your motherboard while the front USB Ports are connected to the motherboard via USB cables inside the computer case.

Since your USB devices work normally in the rear USB ports which are part of your motherboard then the problem is with your computer case and its USB cabling or ports.

You can verify this by opening the computer case and see what cables are coming from the front where the USB ports are located at.

In my computer case, The front USB Ports are located at the top front and uses both USB 2.0 & 3.0. But unfortunately all the USB ports are bad or damaged from years of use. So I disconnected the USB 3.0 cable (Blue) that was connected to the middle of my last motherboard USB header and removed all the electronics and just left the computer case LEDs and Switches intact.

So either your Motherboard USB header where the computer case USB 3.0 cable is connected to is bad or the cable is bad or loose or the computer case USB Ports are bad.

When you installed the motherboard and connected the computer case USB Cable to the Front panel did you connect it to the correct USB header on your motherboard?

EDIT: @chippy1  I apologize because I misread your original post. I thought you were talking about the USB ports in the rear of the motherboard and USB headers in general which would involve the BIOS update to fix the disconnection issue. But reading your answers from the original post and now from your last reply I should have started troubleshooting your issue differently.

So I would first check your computer case Front panel USB cables and USB Ports. But it still could be a defective motherboard if everything else checks good.

I suggest you open a ASRock Support ticket and see if they believe your motherboard should be RMAed due to being defective.

0 Likes

I have thought about faulty usb ports or cable but I don't have a spare pc case to try. I have also been trying to deal with Silverstone about this issue but they seem to be ignoring my emails. But I will try to get a different pc case and give that a try. 

0 Likes

When you mentioned that you connected to the rear USB ports that everything worked correctly, correct?

Are you saying that you connected the Computer Case Front panel USB cable to the rear USB Port and worked fine?

If that is what you did that indicates that the Front Panel USB cabling and Ports are fine otherwise it would have the same symptoms with being connected to the rear USB ports.

So it it is beginning to sound like a defective Motherboard or the USB Header on the motherboard is not compatible with your USB Port cable connection or is defective.

EDIT: just read your last reply about RMA ASRock policies. That was one of the main reasons I didn't purchase a ASRock motherboard after thoroughly reading ASRock RMA policy. Basically it is very expensive to RMA anything back to ASRock with many dis-qualifiers and restrictions.

But ASRock Motherboards did have many great features that higher cost motherboards had at a much lower cost when I decided to upgrade from a AM3+ Motherboard to a AM4 Motherboard.

0 Likes

No I just plugged both my portable drives into the rear motherboard panel usb 3.0 ports and files transfer fine. 

But think about this, I opened my case unplugged the case usb 3.0 cable from my usb 3 header on the motherboard and then plugged in the usb 3 cable into a adapter cable and plugged into a usb 2 motherboard header and all transfers are fine. so now i am still using the case usb 3 sockets on my case and the usb 3 cable inside the case but instead if it going to the usb 3 motherboard header its going to the usb 2 header. so does that mean the usb 3.0 sockets are fine and does that mean the usb 3 is fine. 

0 Likes

To me it indicates that the USB cable and USB Ports are working on the front panel. Otherwise I believe you would have the same problems no matter where you connect it. 

Okay, So your Portable Drives works fine connected directly to the Rear USB 3.0 Ports of the motherboard but not when the Computer Case Front USB cables on connected to a USB 3.0 Header somewhere else on your motherboard.

Does the Computer Case Front Panel USB 3.0 Port work with your USB 3.0 Drives when you connect the cable (Extension adapter) to a different USB 3.0 Header on the rear of the Motherboard?

If you are able to connect your Front Panel USB 3.0 to a rear USB 3.0 using an adapter and your drives works normally that sure seems to indicate a bad USB 3.0 Header on your motherboard.

Since you were able to connect the computer case Front Panel USB 3.0 cable to a Motherboard USB 2.0 Header and your portable devices work correctly but probably slower since it is using USB 2.0 speed that is a sure indication of a bad USB 3.0 Header on your motherboard.

Okay I had  to edit my reply since it is late and I am misreading your posts. sorry about that.

A while back I found this USB Diagnostic program that checks the USB ports and whatever is connected to it and gives you all sort of data concerning the USB port being used.

Try running this USB Diagnostic program on your computer case Front Panel with the Portable USB Devices  connected: https://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbtreeview_e.html

The link above where to download this program explains what it does.

USB TREE VIEWER

EDIT: Also download USB Drive Info and see what data it shows for your portable drives while connected to the USB 2.0 & 3.0 Header on your motherboard: https://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbdriveinfo_e.html

0 Likes

USB Tree View and USB Drive Info should help your to determine where the problem lies when you have both portable drives connected to both the USB 2.0 and  USB 3.0 Header.

Here is my USB Tree Viewer with data from my USB Flash drive connected to a USB Hub:

Screenshot 2021-04-17 210823.png

Here is using USB Drive Info for the same Flash drive:

Screenshot 2021-03-24 172051.png

0 Likes

I think I have 2 options now either buy a case and see if the issue still happens or try a new motherboard.  

0 Likes

I would try a new motherboard first. Your testing has shown that the USB ports on the Front panel are working otherwise you would have the similar or same symptoms while connected to the USB 2.0 header on your motherboard.

I would just open a ASRock Support ticket and let them know of your results and let them decide if you need to replace your motherboard. You can link this thread of the troubleshooting you have done to ASRock Support.

The Front Panel has 2 USB 3.0 ports correct? Because according to the Motherboard specs the USB 3.1 Header supports only 2 USB ports:

1 x USB 3.1 Gen1 Header (Supports 2 USB 3.1 Gen1 ports) (Supports ESD Protection)

0 Likes

manual says USB 3.2 Gen1 Header might be best for you to look at the manual as well

You are correct, the Manual must be concerning an updated Motherboard version of the Specs from ASRock website.

ASRock should update the Spec sheet on the Motherboard to show USB 3.2 instead of USB 3.1.  The USB 3.1 must be for the original version of that model.

But that is besides the point. The point I was trying to make is does your Front Panel only have two USB 3.0 ports which is all the USB 3.2 header supports.

0 Likes

my case silverstone ML03B only has 2 usb 3.0 sockets

This is the Amd reply 

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing USB connectivity issues with your AMD 500 Series chipset motherboard.

Our engineering team is activity investigating this issue with high priority and we will provide an update once a fix is available.

Based on user feedback we have received; the suggestions below could improve or resolve general USB device stuttering issues.

• Verify that your motherboard is updated to the latest BIOS version and configured using optimized/factory default settings.
  • Check your motherboard manufacturer’s website for BIOS update and download instructions.

• Check if your Windows 10 is on the latest build and fully up to date.
  • For information on updating Windows 10, please refer to Microsoft article: Update Windows 10

• Ensure that the Ryzen chipset driver from AMD is installed and up to date.
  • Latest Ryzen chipset driver version is 2.13.27.501 and can be download here.

If you continue to experience USB connectivity problems after following the suggestions above, you may consider using either of the following workaround:

Set PCIe mode from Gen4/Auto to Gen 3 in the BIOS

Disable Global C-State in the BIOS.

These settings are found in the BIOS. Please refer to the motherboard user manual if more information is needed.

Updated to the latest Bios 5.10 which is suppose to fix usb issues but still my portable Drives connect and disconnect over an over again.

Here are 3 portables Drives that wont work 

HDTB320EK3CA Toshiba Canvio 2TB 

HDTB310EK3AA Toshiba Canvio 1TB

MQO1ACF050

0 Likes

The last person I know of had a nightmare trying to RMA a Asrock motherboard and even having to send it to another country.

0 Likes
spiritofjerry
Journeyman III

This exact problem happens to me, too. Semaphore timeout and the drive disconnects. Only on the front USB 3.0 port. Did you ever resolve it?

0 Likes

No never did get it sorted, Asrock seem to think its a faulty Motherboard now but I cant send it back as its out of warranty but I Don't know if there correct say its a faulty motherboard or AMD or Asrock messed up the USB front panel as its only the front panel USB 3.0 that has the issue if I connect Drives to the rear panel everything works .

I tried the new bios update but still not sorted the issue.

people say update chipset Driver that will sort it but it don't sort it out.

I have my Asrock B450m pro4 and my MSI b450m mortar max both have USB issues with some of my portable Drives . Too be honest if I knew switching to AMD was going to be such a problem I would of stuck with INTEL never had USB issues with them.

If you have warranty left on your motherboard get it replaced just in case that's the issue 

0 Likes

I am doubtful it's a faulty motherboard, as we both have the exact same issue on the exact same board. It seems more likely that it's something inherent that's wrong with the chipset. It could be an ASRock problem, or an AMD problem, who knows. It could also involve Windows. Something is funky, and I want to know what's going on. I am going to find out what it is. I suspect AMD though.

Like you, I have done a bunch of troubleshooting with no real difference. All drivers up to date, recent BIOS, etc. 

Does your MSI board have the front USB disconnect issue with your drives as well? I read on another forum someone else had this exact problem, and it wasn't on an ASRock board.

0 Likes

I am using the MSI board at the moment and the Asrock motherboard is sat in its box because of the issues and my MSI board is working so much better on front panel USB 3.0. 

Have you tried like me plugging in two USB 3.0 portable Drives into front panel USB 3 sockets on your case and tried to transferring files from one Drive to another the transfer starts and then slows and then finally Disconnects the Drive or Drives and shows this message error 0x800701b1 a device which does not exist was specified.

I wouldn't completely rule out getting your board replaced just in case it dose proof to be faulty keep an eye on your warranty because as soon as Asrock know your motherboard is out of warranty they don't want to know.  

Let me try the question about the Drives transfer and disconnect again on my MSI as I been trying so many different things to try and get things working

0 Likes

I have just finished testing my MSI Motherboard, I plugged in 2 USB 3.0 Drives into my front panel USB 3.0 case sockets and did a 50 minute transfer between Drives with no issues. 

To be honest I am leaning to a possible motherboard fault.

But what I don't understand is when using the Asrock Board front panel USB 3.0 it will let me install window 10 from a flash Drive without issue but wont allow me to transfer files from one Drive to another Drive using the same sockets.  

Another thought is why if I connect my case USB 3.0 cable to to a motherboard USB 2.0 header using adapter cable all drives work with no issues and all Drives work in rear of the motherboard. So its either a fault with the USB 3.0 controller or AMD haven't fixed the issues.  

If I could of got my Asrock motherboard replaced I would of sent it off a long time ago just in case. 

0 Likes

Asrock have now asked me to send the motherboard for repair but I would have to pay myself

0 Likes

No still happening only today i plugged drive in to do a surface test to get all red sectors and then try again for it to give all green sectors on the test. I wonder if its the 2400G thats at fault as i tried on 2 motherboards Asrock B450m pro4 and my msi Motherboard.

0 Likes
chirantan300
Journeyman III

I don't know if i am late but i also have the same issue and it is a agesa related issue. The latest bios that doesn't have this issue is P4.20, and iirc 2400G is supported on 4.20, i never had issues with bios revisions before 4.30, P4.30 is where the problem started. 

PS - I am using asrock b450m pro 4 with ryzen 3100. 

0 Likes
nopikus
Journeyman III

Issue still here.

0 Likes

And, yes, november update not helped

0 Likes

If I knew I would go thru 2 years of AMD issues I would of stuck to Intel as intel just works. 

I have been thinking it was a USB 3.0 ports issue on my case and was just about to buy a new case until I seen your post today. 

Also 3 weeks ago I returned my Msi B450m mortar max for the issue of flash drives and portable drives not being seen on front USB 3.0 ports.

0 Likes
munrobasher
Journeyman III

Pretty late to the party here but I've got a MSI B540 motherboard and I get the same problem with the front-facing USB ports. I've got 1 x USB3 and 2 x USB2. Works fine on USB2 but doesn't work at all on *some* Orico hard disk enclosures. Same enclosure works fine on the rear USB3 ports and through a USB3 hub. It doesn't sound like a problem with case/cabling so must be some quirk on the B450 chipset/motherboard.