cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

placeholder
Journeyman III

Artifacts in Rust game after updating to latest drivers.

I recently updated my graphics drivers to the latest version and i am now getting artifacts in only this game. Im playing on a 7900xt and 7700x with 32gb of ram.

1 Solution
autaztic
Adept I

You are not alone my friend! I thought my GPU was dying when I first saw them as Rust is really the only game I play and my PC has run flawlessly since I built it so when I seen what I originally thought to be artifacting I assumed the worst (dying GPU-VRAM). I went and ran a couple benchmarks right away though and I could not see any of this "artifacting" like I did in Rust so I was relieved.

just used the "AMD Cleanup Utility" to uninstall the recent 24.6.1 driver and I'm installing the previous 24.5.1 driver now. I was able to download it from "TechPoweUp". I'm going to select "driver only", as I always do, not only because I don't like the AMD software due to it being the root cause of many GPU crashes but also so it doesn't auto-update itself. I don't use any of the extra "features" it offers anyways. You don't need it for FreeSync or SAM (Smart Access Memory) which are the only 2 real "must haves" IMO, they are default on with driver only install (I have verified this). I use MSI Afterburner which can do all the "Tuning" tab could do and more. Since I stopped using/installing Adrenaline I no longer have GPU crashes.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
autaztic
Adept I

You are not alone my friend! I thought my GPU was dying when I first saw them as Rust is really the only game I play and my PC has run flawlessly since I built it so when I seen what I originally thought to be artifacting I assumed the worst (dying GPU-VRAM). I went and ran a couple benchmarks right away though and I could not see any of this "artifacting" like I did in Rust so I was relieved.

just used the "AMD Cleanup Utility" to uninstall the recent 24.6.1 driver and I'm installing the previous 24.5.1 driver now. I was able to download it from "TechPoweUp". I'm going to select "driver only", as I always do, not only because I don't like the AMD software due to it being the root cause of many GPU crashes but also so it doesn't auto-update itself. I don't use any of the extra "features" it offers anyways. You don't need it for FreeSync or SAM (Smart Access Memory) which are the only 2 real "must haves" IMO, they are default on with driver only install (I have verified this). I use MSI Afterburner which can do all the "Tuning" tab could do and more. Since I stopped using/installing Adrenaline I no longer have GPU crashes.

Please unmark your issue post as the resolution so we receive help if possible. Same issue. We should all fill out bug reports etc and get this taken care of before it just gets swept away and forgotten about just because it's bot new release. 

System: 7900xtx+7800x3D, B650, 32GB DDR5-6000. 

when in certain areas of monuments or areas light spills, the game artifacts in the exact manner a dying GPU does, and the more you move around the more increased this effect is making it extremely annoying or almost unplayable. 

For ne it happened the most consistent at fishing village monument. Go inside the boat deck and move around, got them every time.

My gpu is a sapphire nitro+, and has never been overclocked. I also assumed my gpu was dying to a point I filled out an RMA amd submitted a video of this. 

Too bad it's just AMD botching their drivers, despite me never having an issue til now and defending their drivers' bad stigma. 

How do you even screw up a game youre doing no updates or add ons in for us. 

Ugh. 

Every company has driver issues. Nvidia, Intel, and AMD it goes with the territory of developing dedicated graphics cards with 10s of thousands of possible games. Every action has a reaction. It’s easy to miss one sometime 

Ryzen 7 7800X3D/Sapphire Pulse RX7900XT/MSI Pro B650P WiFi/4TB WD Black SN770 (2x2TB)/64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5/Corsair iCUE H100i Elite Capellix/Corsair iCUE 4000D RGB Airflow/7 Corsair AF120 RGB/1000w Super Flower Leadex Platinum SE/Cooler Master VGCv3
0 Likes

Just fyi. The nitro is overclocked from factory. 

boost is 200mhz over. 
Game clock is 220mhz over

Try the reference speeds first.  2300 game. Boost 2500mhz. Lower the vram to lowest setting.  See what happens.  Make sure the cooler is clear of dust and it’s getting some air.  Thermal paste maintenance on OCed cards should be looked after every year or so because of the higher heat the cooler must move. 

0 Likes
Zstowell
Journeyman III

Yeah, but if I only play rust and they don't fix the issues they create there's no point to owning the card period, they haven't added updates or fsr or any optimizations to rust in years but they can break it, not a great experience for 1200$ regardless of whatever excuse there is for it