cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

ajlueke
Grandmaster

Are the updated LG OLED Freesync Compatible as well?

So, LG is updating five of their 2019 OLED TVs to be Gsync compatible, and simultaneously NVidia is enabling GSync over HDMI for Turing based GPUs.

Since, "Gsync compatible" is a term used for displays that use VESA adaptive sync, or Freesync, that meet NVidia's standards, does that mean that these displays will also support adaptive sync on Radeon GPUs?

https://www.polygon.com/2019/9/10/20859422/nvidia-g-sync-lg-oled-4k-tv

4 Replies

Yes.  I am aware.  The TVs are not Gsync, they do not have the propriety module.  They have been enabled as "Gsync compatible", which is supporting adaptive sync over the VESA standard.  This is the same way Freesync works, and some Freesync monitors are also "Gsync compatible".  I'd just like to verify that "Gsync Compatible" will work with AMD even if Freesync isn't on the label.

0 Likes

I would just open an Online AMD Service Request and ask them directly if a software G-sync capable display also is supported by AMD GPUs that uses Freesync.

This previous PC World article goes into a bit more detail about what "G-Sync Compatible" and how it will be utilized: Nvidia's G-Sync Compatible validation flunks over 94% of FreeSync monitors. Here's why | PCWorld 

Only way, in my opinion, is to see if a G-Sync Compatible display will work the same as a FreeSync Display is by connecting a AMD GPU to G-Sync compatible display and see if FreeSync is enabled.

0 Likes
sprungnickel
Adept I

LG and NVidia have delivered a VRR experience. LG C9 is listed G-Sync Compatible. 10/23 saw a firmware update drop for the C9/E9 4.70.9 I believe, and Nvidia driver 44.52 that enables G-sync. Still beta. G-Sync over HDMI is real.

AMD, we need the RX5700 series of GPUs to offer Freesync over HDMI to this G-Sync Compatible TV. Is that a thing that could happen. I am very interested in the value an RX 5700 XT offers for 1440p 120 fps gaming on my beautiful C9.