cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

rancax
Adept II

Re: AMD Stop supporting R9 and Non-Rx Series GPU cards on ProRender

ha - nice comments... Well thing is - as I can tell from a point of non-programmer - opencl 2.0 is open cl 2.0 = maybe new features of updated RPR somehow not playing well with hardware architecture on r9 cards, as I understood everything regarding gpu rendering since its opencl language has to be recompiled in order to use it by gpu's hardware - another reason why it is slower than cuda framework - and not to mention that almost all gpu based renderers are using cuda... Only as I have seen redshift is announcing that theirs rendering engine is under development for opencl to use - I guessing they are waiting realtime raytracing features in amd cards to implement it... 
and of course - big companies like amd, intel, nvidia are just dropping support and forcing you to buy new products just because of money flow, and technical improvements - no one is going to make a gpu that will last for 15 years - profit and technical boundaries must be moved. I think they can make it work maybe for r9 cl issues to be resolved but, it's just easier to drop support and move to powerful products... it's just how industry works... 
btw - not to advertise here anything but maxwell - uses cuda, and can utilize all gpu's in system,doesn't have restrictions like redshift - whre only one gpu and it's memory can be used for rendering - more complex and it's forcing you to by titan's or quadro's very expensive cards...  
on 2070 rtx - I tried RPR - works very nice - but now I get to choose where to work - cuda or open cl - and must say cuda's framework is pretty fast... 
Maybe with big next rdna cards - rpr and redshift will blow all other renderers but just have to wait and see...
cheers