cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

toobie
Adept I

AMD Rewards won't accept game code because I'm on Linux

I bought a 5500 XT on Newegg to use on my Linux system. This came with a free copy of Resident Evil 3.

When I went to active the code on amdrewards.com, it says I need to download a Windows-only product verification tool.

This is very frustrating, I have no Windows system. I emailed support with a picture of timestamped proof I bought the GPU, and they sent me a copy/pasted canned response, pic related.

0 Likes
10 Replies
toobie
Adept I

I will make emails every day with photographed and timestamped proof I have bought the GPU until they give me this Steam code.

Eventually I will get a support technician that doesn't copy/paste a response to me.

0 Likes

Not sure if the game is available on Linux or not?

0 Likes

Resident Evil 2 works fine on Linux through Wine, RE3 most likely will too.

Even if it doesn't, I can play on a QEMU VM with GPU passthrough.

What doesn't work through Wine, or a VM with GPU passthrough, is this AMD product verification tool.

toobie wrote:

Resident Evil 2 works fine on Linux through Wine, RE3 most likely will too.

Even if it doesn't, I can play on a QEMU VM with GPU passthrough.

What doesn't work through Wine, or a VM with GPU passthrough, is this AMD product verification tool.

AMD rewards verification is focused on Windows and that is not likely to change anytime soon.

Well they should give me the Steam code when I manually email their support with proof I have the GPU,

toobie wrote:

Well they should give me the Steam code when I manually email their support with proof I have the GPU,

agreed

The Rewards procedure only works on Windows computer not on linux as you have found out and been advised by AMD Rewards Support.

You can install a Dual Boot Windows/Linux to make the verification tool to work so that you will be able to receive your game.

You mentioned this in your previous reply: "Well they should give me the Steam code when I manually email their support with proof I have the GPU" How will AMD verify that you actually bought the GPU card? 

I believe that is the reason why AMD has the Verification Tool to make sure you did purchase the appropriate hardware and you have it installed in your computer.

Anyone can send a stolen or fake receipt saying they purchased the AMD GPU.

elstaci

It's called a timestamp.

You take a photo of the GPU with a piece of paper with the date and something like "AMD support ticket #"

Do the same with timestamped photos of your newegg invoices/order history.

There is so many reasons someone wouldn't be able to run this stupid program to get their game code

- They use Linux or Mac

- The GPU was for use in a server/crypto miner

- The product verification tool just doesn't even work, even on Windows (many complaints of this)

- Someone collecting GPUs

- Someone without all the necessary parts to build their computer just yet

And only 1 of them is people trying to resell game codes, which is what AMD is trying to stop with this ridicolous process.

why would they even care about people reselling their codes. wouldn't amd give out the same amount of games either way?

0 Likes

I don't understand what their issue with it is, if they have unique codes people have to enter, wouldn't the code be enough? why make people have to download some software to verify it...

0 Likes