cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

hafer
Journeyman III

AMD RAID2Xpert - is it solid enough for Server or Workstation?

Hi there!

I am building a Threaripper 7650x Pro Server/Workstation and it will have 4 NVME drives.Optimal in term of data availability and storage space would be a NVME RAID 5.However Hardware RAID with NVME is kinda expensive and it also comes with drawbacks like latency hit due to RAID card and bandwidth limitation with the PCIe card/slot.

So I thought AMD RAID2Xpert might be worth a look as it should bypass those problems as it uses CPU direct PCIe lanes - similar to Intels VROC.Another Option would be to uses Storage Spaces and a RADI10, however that comes with a 50% capacity hit.

Is there any experience with the current AMD RAID2Xpert version from 2023 in terms of speed but also reliability? - it seems quite hard to any info that isn't like 3-5 years old

0 Likes
1 Reply
FunkZ
Exemplar

I wouldn't choose RAID5 for an operating system array regardless of whether it's hardware or software RAID. It's really only suitable for a data array and even then there's a significant performance hit for transactional data such as databases.

If you're building an array that will host the operating system and you need high availability go with the RAID10 as your best performing option despite the capacity loss.

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
0 Likes