cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

KidDaGoat
Adept I

AMD Radeon 6950XT Soft Lock

I posted this as a reply to another member's post, so if this counts as a duplicate I do apologize.  

I will occasionally be playing a game and it will get stuck on a single frame, audio and other actions appear to take place.  When I Alt-Tab and select the game window, it comes back up and resumes running normally until it happens again at a random interval.  It doesn't appear that the game is crashing, but just gets stuck/froze on a single frame.  

This has happened playing Mass Effect Legendary Edition and League of Legends.  My system is on a custom loop watercooling both the CPU and GPU.  

AMD 5900X

MBA AMD 6590XT 

ASUS X570-F 

AW3821DW  Monitor (AdaptiveSync is enabled)

0 Likes
5 Replies
lak611
Adept II

Have you tried turning off Free-Sync?

0 Likes
KidDaGoat
Adept I

Yes, I have FreeSync off at this time.  I also have Enhanced Sync disabled as well.  I am only using the AMD Anti-Lag.  

I am now getting mircostuttering and momentarily hitching.  

0 Likes
KidDaGoat
Adept I

I am still having issues with the microstuttering and momentarily hitching.  I wonder if there is an issue with the card itself??

The card does not hold constant frequency or voltage.  If I use Wattman or MSI Afterburner, the settings don't seem to matter at all.  

I am at a loss as to what to do with this.  I was playing Tekken 7 earlier and especially in a fighting game, the hitching and stuttering is brutal.  The game locks at 60 FPS but there is definitely something going on.  

This is my first AMD card since my Fury X, and I don't recall ever having these issues.  My Nvidia cards haven't had these issues in the past, and if so, I could manually set the voltage and frequency for testing purposes.

0 Likes
t3chl0rd
Adept III

Anti-Lag can cause issues also, the card does not sustain constant frequency or voltage any more than the CPU's, this is why setting the minimum frequency come into play in Adrenalin 100mhz below max. This is also the reason I stopped using Afterburner because it does not have a min freq. setting and fights with the wattman which keeps setting it to 500 which is no minimum frequency and can run below defaults.

Ryzen 5900X PBO/OC, Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite F37 bios, Arctic Freezer II 420 AIO, Fans: 3x140mm 2x120mm, 24 GB G.Skill DDR4-3600 18-20-20-40 1T, CM MWE V2 1050w, Gigabyte G32QC A 1440p, PowerColor RedDevil RX 6950XT OC.
0 Likes
KidDaGoat
Adept I

I just now did a clean install with the Minimal Install after using DDU on my system.  I turned off everything in the AMD Control Panel.  I also just installed MSI Afterburner because I wasn't having much success with Wattman.  

This is an Made By AMD 6905XT I have. 

Currently it shows that my core clock is 0 MHz and my voltage moves between 0 and 825mV.  

0 Likes