cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Re: AMD is Investigating Black Screen Driver Issues on Radeon Cards

Andrej Zdravkovic, SVP of Radeon Software Development, needs to be much more active. Minimum he needs a weekly post on Facebook, Reddit, and here of updates, and not in those generic "we are aware of..." formats, and even needs to host a teleconferenced question and answer session viewable by all but where the reputable tech sites (TomsHardware, Anandtech, etc...) ask the questions, most of them will be issues seen on their forums and elsewhere anyway. He also needs to establish higher standards for the driver developers, and fire them if they do not hit them. And finally, he needs to get a driver control panel out at least when the release of RDNA2 cards happens. He needs to start acing like an SVP and not like an anonymous employee. He needs to bring Radeon up to par with GeForce before Xe hits the market...

Also, I came across the interview he gave KitGuru back in 2016. How much of this can you say applies to AMD these days? Their out of box experience is far from ultra simple (disable this, tweak that, change that setting in UEFI to attempt to prevent this black screen issue, for example), the software is not intuitive to use anymore, and I dare say the Navi architecture is so flawed that it is impossible to fix with software, which is why major issues are persisting for months.

pokester
MVP

Can I get an Amen to that one!

hardcoregames_
Big Boss

nothing has changed since then, drivers are still troublesome 

0 Likes
devilzzz
Adept II

It is now July 7th, 2020 and I still see many people talking of issues that happened long, long ago.  When does AMD get this right?  I honestly don't want to go back to Green Team.  AMD get your act together.

pokester
MVP

All issues will be fixed by the end of the week. We just don't know which week yet. LOL

colesdav
MVP

Why do you say " I honestly don't want to go back to Green Team"?
Their GPUs:
(1). Have stable, working drivers, Nvidia Control Panel might look old, but it works. The Nvidia Installers work.
(2). Work with 3rd party overclocking tools like Palit ThunderMaster, Asus GPUTweakII, MSI Afterburner.

(3). Nvidia GeForce Experience offers more advanced features than Adrenalin 2019 GUI/UI . I do not count Adrenalin 2020 because it is a mess.

(4). Get bug fixes on games very fast. Still support some very old cards and add new technology features to them where possible.

(5). The RTX Turing series have Ray Tracing hardware and it works.
(6). If you are a Blender Artist / User, an RTX2080 can beat current AMD CPU or GPUs using Nvidia CUDA or even faster with OptiX which uses RTX hardware.
(7). If you do GPU Coding - CUDA is much more widely supported and easier to get started with than OpenCL.
(8). If you use Linux - Ubuntu for example - Nvidia provide a GUI/UI for their GPUs.

(9). AMD Opensource ROCm for OpenCL is a nighmare, and AMD latest cards do not work on it.

(10). Nvidia cards are not much more expensive than AMD now, since AMD claim they perform as well as Nvidia cards now.

I am not here trolling.
I believe the above statements are all true, based on my time using AMD GPU versus Nvidia.

The only AMD GCN/RDNA GPU series I have no hands on experience with so far is the Radeon 7.

The most recent AMD GPU I tested / worked on was a Navi RX5700XT, and I was really disappointed with it after seeing all the reviews and hype about Navi.
I compared the RX5700XT at stock clocks (barely stable, so no overclocking) to an RX Vega 64 Liquid with an HBM2 overclock. Very little difference in performance. Identical at 1080p ULTRA. Slightly faster at 2K ULTRA, but stutters. Slower at 4K ULTRA generally. In a few cases where it reported higher FPS, it suffered from stuttering versus smooth experience with RX Vega 64 Liquid. The RX5700XT does run at high temperatures as well.  The compute performance on the RX5700XT is worse than the RX Vega 64 Liquid. Blender performance is poor. The power consumption reported by the RX5700XT GPU is ~ 260Watts at 4K Ultra versus ~ 360 Watts on the RX Vega 64 Liquid GPU.That is the only improvement I see.

RX Vega 64 Liquid GF 14nm   launched: August 14, 2017.
RX5700XT Series TSMC 7nm launched: July        7, 2019.

So after two years of development and R&D effort, and migrating from GF 14nm to TSMC 7nm  AMD released a GPU with the same performance as an RX Vega 64 Liquid, and they still cannot do Ray Tracing. It has taken about 1 year to get ~ working stable drivers using a Hybrid install of Adrenalin 2019 GUI/UI and 20.5.1. drivers.

Pitiful and really sad.

0 Likes
devilzzz
Adept II

What I mean by not going back to Green Team is giving them twice as much for high to top end cards.  They are making PC gaming more expensive.  Also about things you mentioned about Green Team many I know and don't need to be told.  I remember when I could get the high end card, GTX 1080 Ti, for a reasonable price in Canada but now ... LOL!  The only way I would buy Nvidia is to buy their stuff used.  The are an example of disgusting corporate greed right now.

0 Likes
pokester
MVP

I agree that all GPU's are too expensive. AMD's pricing is near double what it was a the same tier points a few years back. While a  5700xt is a little cheaper than a 2070 super for instance it is worth the price as it has hardware features AMD does not, and a driver as well as interface that actually work with no tinkering required. I think they all need a reality check on pricing.

I am hoping with how strong the next consoles will be that it will help driver PC GPU pricing down. Time will tell. 

0 Likes
hardcoregames_
Big Boss

My RTX 2080 was slightly less expensive than the Radeon VII and it is slightly more powerful

0 Likes
devilzzz
Adept II

It depends on where you live.  If you are in America then it is a whole different ball game than Canada and other parts of the world.  Please don't defend Nvidia's pricing practices lately.

0 Likes