cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

AMD fires back at 'Super' NVIDIA with Radeon RX 5700 price cuts

MD unveiled its new Radeon RX 5700 line of graphics cards with 7nm chips at E3 last month, and with just days to go before they launch on July 7th, the company has announced new pricing. In the "spirit" of competition that it says is "heating up" in the graphics market -- specifically NVIDIA's "Super" new RTX cards -- all three versions of the graphics card will be cheaper than we thought.

The standard Radeon RX 5700 with 36 compute units and speeds of up to 1.7GHz was originally announced at $379, but will instead hit shelves at $349 -- the same price as NVIDIA's RTX 2060. The 5700 XT card that brings 40 compute units and up to 1.9GHz speed will be $50 cheaper than expected, launching at $399. The same goes for the 50th Anniversary with a slightly higher boost speed and stylish gold trim that will cost $449 instead of $499.

That's enough to keep them both cheaper than the $499 RTX 2070 Super -- we'll have to wait for the performance reviews to find out if it's enough to make sure they're still relevant.

AMD fires back at 'Super' NVIDIA with Radeon RX 5700 price cuts 

1,953 Replies

Yeah clearly when you work with Blender,  Updates are not important. So unimportant that AMD are happy for their Polaris GPUs to run slower or not even be able to complete a benchmark at all.
T77979 Blender Open Data Benchmark "Victor" fails on AMD Polaris GPUs. 
T77095 Artefacts when rendering with the GPU in Blender 2.90.2 and 2.83 release 

colesdav wrote:

Yeah clearly when you work with Blender,  Updates are not important. So unimportant that AMD are happy for their Polaris GPUs to run slower or not even be able to complete a benchmark at all.

I do not use Blender for benchmarks

0 Likes

Something it will also allow too is game developers to use very high resolution textures and models because high memory capacities, in this case 10GB and 20GB, the way 8GB made 6GB and especially 4GB irrelevant in some cases.

It will allow the card to keep more unused assets onboard if it's not told to flush it, perhaps even pre-rendered items for higher visual fidelity, reducing reliance on system RAM and potentially the SSD/HDD, increasing performance that way as well, though that effect may be negligible on most systems given how most mid range systems carry 16GB or more of RAM as well as a NVMe SSD.

0 Likes

any video card will do that. that is typical as video cards memory is not infinite

0 Likes

Very true. That is one of the things they have been talking about on the new PS4 with its special SSD. I think we will see very large level loads, lots of textures, in games and seamless immediate loads when we do. Based on what I have read this is a big part of the new console. So I would have to think that larger amounts of VRAM on upcoming cards will make those titles cross over to PC much easier with the same feel. Anyway I certainly welcome the change. I just hope it isn't too much of a premium to get it. 

0 Likes

I think nVidia may be going the route that all the cards will only be offered in one memory capacity aside from the lowest end, so there won't be a price premium for a memory capacity bump.

If the board IDs are going to be used to designate different models, PG142-10 may be akin to the vanilla 2070 and PG142-2 may be akin to the 2070 Super, same take with the PG132 boards, 15% performance differences between the two before memory is taken into account.

Also today nVidia started the countdown timer until Ampere's (likely soft) launch: August 31st. nVidia is really good at hyping things up, and they've built up enough of it over the last few months to build it into a monster. AMD's going to have to do SOMETHING to try and steal some thunder...

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-teases-next-generation-ampere-gpus-begins-countdown-to-august-31/

If it really is akin to the Riva replacement GeForce 256 the Ampere really will be something. Can't wait to see the reviews. 

0 Likes

And if they somehow bring, say, 20% performance increases to every segment, it's going to be hard to see how RDNA2 will be able to be "disruptive to 4K" unless they market a card capable of 4k60 for under $300, and I just don't see them doing that, not after the "We'll just price match nVidia", considering certain C level AMD employees still have their jobs...

This is interesting. It appears that Intel may be launching an externally produced (TSMC or Samsung likely) beast of a GPU next year complete with ray tracing. RDNA3 and it's "revolutionary chiplet architecture" isn't expected until 2022...

https://videocardz.com/newz/intel-to-unveil-xe-hpg-gaming-architecture-with-hardware-ray-tracing

More news out of the green camp today courtesy of Micron not being able to keep their mouths shut. The RTX 3090, or whatever nVidia will call it, will ship with GDDR6X and will have over 1Tb of bandwidth, nearly the same as the Radeon Instinct MI50, and they are developing the double capacity chips for use, presumably, in the RTX 3000 series based Titan or RTX 3090 Ti, whatever nVidia will call it.

Do note how there is NO "Big Navi" RDNA2 card listed on the application type...

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/micron-confirms-rtx-3090-will-have-over-1-tbs-gddr6x-bandwidth

More news out of what I guess now will be Team Blue from their Hot Chips presentation. Assuming their 2T (2 tile) performance is being rated the same way AMD rates theirs, can't go with nVidia because they use a different rating, it is looking as if Intel Xe-HP will launch with about the same power as the 5700 XT, or maybe even more since these are still engineering samples. Depending on their launch price, as well as AMD's Navi Refresh prices, consumers could be looking at a very, very competitive market for cards the power of the 2070 Super, since it's not difficult to believe Intel is going to come in very low (relatively) to sap market share, and AMD cannot afford to leach what little market share they have (relative to nVidia) for another generation to Team Blue or Green, especially since it's going to be 2022 or 2023 before RDNA3 and its "revolutionary" design hits the shelves. I'll go out on a limb and say 2070 Super levels of performance for $250-$300 from both Team Red and Blue, with Team Green banking on Ampere's higher compute performance and being $50-$100 higher. That's great for the consumer, a price war with very powerful cards, easily 2560x1440 60hz or 1920x1080 120hz capable in most titles, along with much greater ray tracing capabilities than Turing.

The article is mostly about their 4 tile part which could bring a petaflop of compute power, as it contains tensor cores, and be quite the benefit for datacenters where space is at a premium.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/raja-koduri-petaflops-scale-4-tile-xe-hp-gpu-hot-chips

The intel claims are eye opening but I have to ask how much

Cards like my RTX 2080 cost a pile so I prefer to get a few years out of it

I hope the competition is there. It really is up to AMD and now Intel to keep GPU prices down. Hopefully even regressing a bit from where prices are now. I won't hold my breath on that. Was watching a Mores Law is Dead video on YT this morning and he had said it is up to AMD to keep prices in line too. 

He had an interesting perspective on why no tangible information on Big Navi yet, one that kind of lined up with a comment I made in another thread yesterday. I had said that the console makers seem to be able to make AMD graphics work better than AMD's own driver team can. 

He made that same point saying that their struggles in this arena is likely why we don't know more and that both MS and Sony are better with AMD's hardware than AMD is. He even went on to point out that Sony even said they make a better Radeon card than AMD does. 

So pretty much like many of us have felt for a while now good hardware but bad drivers in many ways. 

He seems to believe based on what we do know so far with console specs that AMD will be faster than current RTX 2xxx across the board and they will compete from top to bottom finally with a card at every level. He also though believes that Ampere will still be faster. Time will tell.

I am actually impressed to see that Intel could come out of the gate with a potentially 2070 super speed card. That would be great.

Intels drivers have gotten really good over the past 5-6 years and some good hardware to go with it would make for some decent competition added to the equation. 

0 Likes

Moores Law is Dead was telling everyone that "Big Navi" was going to absolutely beat Nvidia hands down not so long ago.
Nvidia Ampere Arrogance Leak: AMD Really Could Win with RDNA 2 - YouTube 

Yoyo Youtubers create videos in the following manner. 
Navi Great, Navi Bad, no it's great, no it's awful, wait actually it's great...
Often based on total rubbish data and rumours.
They do it to get hits.

No one will know how AMD "Big Navi" or Nvidia's new GPUs will perform until they release and we get some independent benchmarks, if they even exist.
There is so much nonsense pushed out about GPUs from review sites I do not trust most of them any more, especially those that get samples from manufacturers for free and do not just buy the card themselves.
Reviews of RX5700XT have been far too positive and majority did not mention anything about the state of AMD Drivers or the fact that AMD are now down to running on Windows 10 only with Linux support for ROCm gone.

I think for the most part in this latest video it was more of a devils advocate type presenting both possibilities and that being due to lack of information so far on the PC GPU part coming from AMD. 

0 Likes

This video is all fluff and little new information 

0 Likes

I have now seen several different videos saying that likely the 3080 or whatever they call it will initially be the top. Then depending on what AMD brings to the table we could see, 3080ti, 3090 or a new Titan variant as well. Maybe all of the above. 

I know one thing, all of that will be out of my price range. 

0 Likes

Latest rumor today from a reliable leaker pegs the RTX 3090, or whatever they will call it, likely will be the 3090 at this point given the lack of other name leaks this close to reveal time, at $1400. If it's upwards of 50% faster than the 2080 Ti, RDNA2 tops out at around 20% faster than the 2080Ti, and Xe-HP tops out at, let's be generous, the same as the 2080Ti, then nVidia really does have the market segment to themselves.

That being said...It's going to be up to Intel to set the price levels, since I doubt AMD will drastically undercut nVidia, not since they didn't do it with Turing.

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3090-flagship-graphics-card-rumored-cost-1399-us/

0 Likes

Which for many cards will mean at least 1500 for custom variants. That price tag sure is going to limit sales to an even smaller base. I hope they don't raise the new 3070 and 80 in price too. I'd consider paying 500 for a new 3070 but 600 or more and I would pass. 

0 Likes

Personally I think the RTX 3090 will end up being a Titan model, since nVidia really is up the creek with the Titan naming convention, so designating it as the RTX xx90 makes a lot of sense. Given how Threadripper has made HEDT so much more affordable and accessible, the market for a Titan level GPU is growing, especially since Covid-19 might permanently shift some jobs to work at home. Also given the fact it's supposed to pack 24GB VRAM lends credence to this fact, since I haven't even heard any memory issues at 4K with an 11GB 2080 Ti, and there will supposedly be a RTX 3080 20GB model as well.

If that's the case then it really does make sense at that price level given its target audience, and I would expect Ampere price levels to be about $100-$150 more than current Turing prices ASSUMING AMD and Intel decide to play along with the price fixing and keep prices high, but that's not in either of their best interests, both because of expensive new GDDR6X, but also because they're going to be the only ones on the market for at least two months, and it wouldn't make sense for them NOT to do it. Right now they're still having to target the GTX 1000 series and earlier crowd for upgrades given the high prices to low performance increases for Turing, and we know from years back when AMD dropped the bomb with the HD 4870 that nVidia will not hesitate to slash prices drastically overnight if RDNA2 turns out to be 50% faster than the 2080Ti as initially rumored. The Steam Hardware Survey backs this up to an extent, with non-RTX cards having a much larger share than Turning (and Navi having a 0.87% share with the 5700 XT, nothing higher), and reflects what most of the reputable review sites have said since Turing launched, that if you already had a GTX 1000 series there was little reason to upgrade.

In any case the more I think about it, it's going to be up to Intel to set the prices. nVidia can do whatever they want for 2 months and they're going to set the bar crazy high, AMD likely will have RNDA2 cards that will be able to compete with at least the RTX 3070 and will likely price match since they will have ray tracing, but Intel we know from their Hot Chips presentation will tap out at RTX 2070 Super levels of performance with their 2T Xe-HP, and being fresh to the market, and considering their CPU division isn't going to get back on track until about this time next year, they need to score a win, and like a fresh contender into any market who lacks products to swing with the upper levels, they'll come in low and attract a following which will force AMD to lower their prices since they're shortstacked against nVidia 8:1 essentially in share and no doubt ticking off loads of Navi owners with persistent issues, which will force nVidia to -slightly- lower their prices since they do have tricks up their sleeve, such as DLSS 2.0, which neither AMD nor Intel will be able to match.

The wildcard, if there is one, are the new consoles. Not only are they a trickle of revenue AMD can use to offset lower margins on GPUs, but they may start causing a shift back to consoles if they truly are as powerful as they are being hyped up to be. If they do then that's going to hit the midrange market the hardest which will force lower prices all around.

I think you will see a lot of people jump on the new consoles this time around. Like when the 360 came out they will really be starting off with some decent parity to PC gaming at an attractive price. 

I hope that translates into bringing down PC GPU pricing. I am sure that the green team won't discount and will very certainly gouge until other competition actually hits the market. I just hope at that point prices return to about what they are now or better.

Another user was talking a couple weeks ago and pointed out that at 8k the 11gb of ram isn't enough. So maybe these top cards will begin to push 8k with all that memory. 

0 Likes

If I were just buying GPU/CPU for gaming I would go for XBOX SERIES X console this time around just based on the hardware specification and the data from the Gears 5 Demo.

It will all depend on how much Microsoft charge for the console and if they manage to cool it properly.
I still have an XBOX 360 that lasted < 8 months before it "Red Rig of Death" on me.
No RMA or Refund was given.

The problem with the consoles is the cost of the software versus PC.

0 Likes

Navi and Adrenalin 2020 GUI/UI and Drivers was clearly a big success:

NVIDIA GeForce GPUs Gain Major Market Share Versus AMD Radeon in Q2 2020 

Jon Peddie Research: AMD lost 9% dGPU market share since Q2 2019, 5% since Q1, now at 20% vs nVidia'...

Ray tracing aside there just isn't a lot of incentive to choose AMD over nVidia once you consider you really have to buy a higher end custom Navi model from the AIBs, such as the Sapphire Pulse, because the lower end variants just had too many issues, and by then you were so close in price to nVidia it didn't make a lot of sense to go with AMD if you were either already current nVidia user looking to upgrade, a current AMD user if you already had a negative experience with them, or as a new person to the dGPU market and you saw articles from the reputable review sites talking about unresolved issues for months on end, or, more likely these days, overwhelming negative sentiment from social media.

And even worse we are now 4 days away from nVidia's Ampere presentation and there hasn't even been a rumor that AMD is going to do anything to attempt to steal their thunder with any kind of Navi Refresh or RDNA2 announcement, presentation or launch of their own even though nVidia's been in the news for weeks, and even Raja has been making announcements for Intel for their Xe graphics...

And in reality the so called leaks from months back about Ampere had pretty much all panned out. So in reality we have known what is coming on the green side a long time. AMD sure is tight lipped. I can't imagine why it would hurt so much to give a bit more real information so consumers that want to stay brand loyal can start making educated decisions. They really are forcing another few percent of purchasers into no options with the zero information approach. 

0 Likes

Yes if the idea was to lose more market share it is working famously! LOL

Seriously with the fact that AMD didn't even have a top competitor sure that hurts but in reality most gamers are buying in that mid level anyway. AMD definitely had the price and hardware advantage in many way with Navi. Honestly reputation of the drivers and experience with the drivers first hand has to be the biggest factor in losing nearly 10% market share. That is a huge decrease statistically too. I hope AMD share holders are not drinking the cool aid and are ready to demand the kind of change that reverses this situation. 

0 Likes

You know if Big Navi doesn't hit until November and if AMD doesn't give any information on Navi to maybe keep people from jumping ship. At the rate they are losing market share, with what the trend has been they could stand to lose another 5-7% by November. Or higher if Nvidia sales with the new product have good availability and prices are not too high. That may be AMDs only saving grace between now and then is that Nvidia is historically fairly greedy in pricing, initially especially. 

0 Likes

Radeon 7 story must be a big warning to anyone even considering looking at a "Big Navi" GPU.

0 Likes

Not just the VII, but Vega 56/64 and the Fury series as well. When you drop $400+ on a high end GPU, you expect it to not be abandoned shortly after release with everything being put into the next generation so that cards with lower power, such as the RX 580, end up performing better with fewer issues, on top of what has now become and even more bloated software UI which most of isn't needed at all.

I cannot even get Adrenalin 2020 20.8.3 to install without BSOD on non overclocked systems.
Hybrid Adrenalin 2019 19.12.1 + 20.8.3 drivers via Windows Update works o.k.
Example: pastedImage_1.png

What are AMD doing?

Why did they move from the above GUI/UI?

A couple weekends ago I built a new machine for my son. R5 3600. I had a GTX 1060 which he had been using in the last machine and my old RX 580 that I took out when I got my RTX 2060. I put the 580 in because for a lot of games it is a bit more powerful and has more memory than the 1060. I could not install the drivers. So I went to the 2019 drivers, and finally got that working. Unfortunately several of his newer games needed the driver updates and since the two cards are so close in performance I went back to the ZERO PROBLEMS GTX 1060. With the CPU improvement of the new machine that old card is doing really well and no issues whatsoever. I only have myself to blame for thinking for a second that putting that RX 580 in could possibly be a better solution. 

Can I ask what version of Windows you are running on that new build please?

All of my rendering machines are stuck on Windows 10 19.09 and will not upgrade further.

I was wondering if AMD simply do not test installing Adrenalin 2020 since ~ 20.7.1 on anything other than the very latest version of Windows 10?

AMD do seem to have dropped work on Polaris GPUs. 

I am having problems with Blender on the RX590s I bought for rendering.
They will not complete a number of jobs, and even fail some standard Blender benchmarks.
They should be better for compute tasks - more FP32 TFlops than lower end Navi GPUs at same price. 

0 Likes

I want to say too that Zotac just really F'd up and revealed a large amount of information about nVidia's RTX 3000 series.

AMD needs to do something now to at least attempt to steal some thunder, because after this drop, the only thing that people are going to think about going through the weekend is Ampere...

https://wccftech.com/zotac-geforce-rtx-3090-geforce-rtx-3080-geforce-rtx-3070-custom-graphics-cards-pictured/

0 Likes

Yes I loaded Windows 10 Pro 2004

0 Likes

If a 3070 is really at or above a 2080ti for 500 bucks. I would be very interested. 

AMD really badly needs to let consumers know what their new cards will do. Or gamers will have spent their yearly upgrade money before AMD even gets to market with their new cards. 

0 Likes

Any more than that and they won't attract any upgrade crowd. No matter how powerful it is it's still a mid range card that won't be able to do 4K in new games, and still have to take detail hits in some of the more recent games to hit 60fps.

Even at 50% faster than a 2080Ti it still puts in sub-60 FPS performance on Microsoft Flight Simulator at full details at 4K. Granted it's a bit of an extreme case, but it does seem to be a game which is very well optimized, though high clock speeds definitely help in the overall average vs core count, vs something like Horizon Zero Dawn, and is clearly the direction games are going to be heading in in the near term given consoles will be outputting 4K.

Even though custom models will likely push the $600 mark, it's still going to put AMD behind the 8-ball unless they return to Polaris levels of pricing, since even a card which matches 2080 Ti performance at $300 will be an epic seller, assuming of course AMD sorts out their software issues...

0 Likes

It's OK, Nvidia should be worried about this...
Just announced, "Small Navi" : https://www.amd.com/en/products/graphics/amd-radeon-rx-5300 
Seem to be hiding the fact it needs an 8 pin power connector in the description.

AMD Intros Radeon RX 5300 3 GB Graphics Cards For Budget 1080p Gamers 

0 Likes

"NVIDIA has replaced the GeForce GTX 1650 with the SUPER variant which comes with a similar price point and far better performance so that might be a more valid comparison."

When a vendor compares a GPU to a long non-existant GPU...It means it should be an easy hard pass for anyone.

Especially since Adit Bhutani,  Product Marketing Specialist for Radeon and Gaming at AMD,  told us not to buy a GPU with less than 8GB of VRAM for gaming...

https://community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2020/05/06/game-beyond-4gb 

0 Likes

Yes.
It is a ridiculous GPU to launch.

Dead On Arrival.

0 Likes