cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

LuisFigo
Adept I

AMD Computer crashing

Hi all, I have been having trouble with my computer for 3 years, and I have tried everything I could imagine. I would be so grateful if someone could help me.

Computer Type: Desktop

GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 5500 XT

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8GHz

Motherboard: MSI B450M Mortar Max

BIOS Version: 2.8

RAM: RGB DDR4 3200 PC4-25600 16GB 2x8GB CL16

PSU: EVGA W1 600W 80 Plus

Case: NZXT H510

Operating System & Version: Windows 10 Pro

GPU Drivers: 23.30.13.01-231128a-398226C-AMD-Software-Adrenalin-Edition

Chipset Drivers: 5.08.02.027

Chipset Drivers: Kingston A400 SSD 120GB (Windows 10 installed here) +
Toshiba P300 3.5" 1TB 7200RPM SATA 3

Description of Original Problem: My PC has been giving trouble for 3 years, since i aqquired it, with different kind of errors. Every component was supposed to be brand new, and the store where I bought them, also built it. I couldn't process the refund, because it was partially functional and during COVID confinement I really needed it for work purposes.

1- Games suddenly close. In one hand, Fifa 24, Fortnite and League of Legends close without following and specific pattern. Sometimes when I've been playing 5,10,30 minutes, or some days it works fine for hours.

2- Different BSOD without and specific time pattern, but never when I'm playing any of the games previously mentioned, the games only crash or close. The BSOD appears when I'm through the internet, using Office, watching Twitch/Netflix, etc.
I've written down the different errors it has been giving for this 3 years:

- IRQL_LESS_OR_NOT_EQUAL
- SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
- PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
- CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED
- FAST_ERESOURCE_PRECONDITION_VIOLATION
- RESOURCE_NOT_OWNED
- MULTIPLE_IRP_COMPLETE_REQUESTS
- KERNEL_AUTO_BOOST_INVALID_LOCK_RELEASE
- KERNEL_LOCK_ENTRY_LEAKED_ON_THREAD_TERMINATION
- KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
- KERNEL_MODE_HEAP_CORRUPTION
- APC_INDEX_MISMATCH

Troubleshooting: I've tried different test software and swapping some components.
- Tried reinstalling Windows 10 on the SSD and also the HDD (using the free disk for multiple files)
- Updating drivers from AMD Radeon Software.
- Memtest86 and everything was fine.
- Chkdsk and everything was fine.
- Updating BIOS from old Version.
- Same problems with Kingston FURY Beast DDR4 3200 MHz 16GB 2x8GB CL16
- Same problems with Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite Motherboard.
I still can try a different GPU, Processor and Power Supply, but I would like to ask for advice before buying more components, since they are more expensive.

Thank you so much in advance.

1 Solution
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Some of those errors (not all) indicate to me a problem with the RAM.  But you have swapped the RAM and even swapped the motherboard.  Other error messages are new to me, but some point to the CPU having problems.  I would be tempted to swap out the CPU with a 5000 series, like the 5600X on the AM4 socket.  I am assuming that you have cleared the CMOS (pull the battery out with the computer unplugged for a few minutes), to eliminate the issue of a corrupted BIOS.

I would ensure the BIOS is updated to the latest version.  I would run all components at stock speeds.  I would consider a better PSU, as in a name brand with 750 W capacity or better.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

View solution in original post

5 Replies
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Some of those errors (not all) indicate to me a problem with the RAM.  But you have swapped the RAM and even swapped the motherboard.  Other error messages are new to me, but some point to the CPU having problems.  I would be tempted to swap out the CPU with a 5000 series, like the 5600X on the AM4 socket.  I am assuming that you have cleared the CMOS (pull the battery out with the computer unplugged for a few minutes), to eliminate the issue of a corrupted BIOS.

I would ensure the BIOS is updated to the latest version.  I would run all components at stock speeds.  I would consider a better PSU, as in a name brand with 750 W capacity or better.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

Hi BigAl,

I just accquired a 750W PSU and Ryzen 5 5500 processor, just as you suggested. I'll test my PC for a few days with the new components independently, and I hope it works fine with one of them! If it is not one of these, I guess I'll only have the GPU left.
Once I detect the component that gave me so much headaches, I'll work on fixing it or confirming it was really faulty.

I'll keep you updated, thank you so much for the advice.

Javier

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Over the many years of building computers, I have found that you need a good PSU to ensure your computer will function properly.  Cheap brands of PSUs can have poor voltage regulation and as the load increases, their voltage outputs fluctuate and cause issues with the computer components.  In my current builds over the past five years, I've gone to 1K Watt (or more) name brand PSUs (Gold or Platinum efficiency rating) that generally cost over $200 USD.  I try to find them on sale of course.  Remember that the PSU provides the power that the load draws.  If your computer is drawing 350 Watts, then the PSU will provide that plus a bit more due to it's efficiency in converting the wall voltage (120 V) to the lower voltages for your components.  The PSU won't be burning up 1 K Watts just because it's rated for that; it just has the capacity to provide that. 

Hi BigAl,

I'm glad to say that I've only changed the processor for the moment (Ryzen 5 5500), and it seems the problem has been fixed! I've been working and playing with the computer since Tuesday, and i didn't have any problem yet. 
I also saw can that now my GPU activates more frequently in situations that it has never worked, but it makes common sense it does now (high quality videos, more stability in some games, etc.).

Maybe the processor I accquired 3 years ago was faulty from the beggining

Thank you so much!,

Javier

greattibettour
Journeyman III

The problem of computer is really troublesome, which affects work and life. My computer has just been repaired. I hope yours will be restored soon. I like to look up travel information online, recently wanted to go to China, but I did not know how to China visa, just searched some websites. I feel great when the computer is fixed.