Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

ESSA
Adept I

Amd 7 7800x3d setup advise

Hello,

First time building an AMD system so need some guidance from the community on the setup process.

Current parts list:
AMD RAYZEN 7 7800X3D
Asus Strix Rog B650I-E
G.Skill flare x5 6000mhz cl30 16x2
Corsair sf750
Coolermaster Masterbox NR200P

After BIOS update and windows installation what should be the next course of action? Driver chipsets, BIOS Setup, windows update etc? what is the correct procedure of order of doing this.

What settings changing should I make in the BIOS which are essential.

Thankyou

0 Likes
1 Solution
Dragokar
Miniboss

The setup looks neat. Your to-do-list is also very good. I do it this way:

1. UEFI/bios update (do your fan curves/settings etc.)
  2. Chipset driver (do a restart, even if not asked)
  3. GPU driver (do a restart, even if not asked)
  4. other drivers like network or audio
  5. Windows Updates (option for automatic driver updates disabled)

Regarding the actual UEFI updates, just make sure to look after them in the next 1–4 weeks, your board does have a beta version with Agesa 1.0.0.7 and there is a 1.0.0.7A, B, C coming and a final 1.0.0.9. I would strongly suggest going with the recent version, even if beta, until Asus and AMD release a final 1.0.0.7xyz or 1.0.0.9.

That's my tiny advice and welcome to the community.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Dragokar
Miniboss

The setup looks neat. Your to-do-list is also very good. I do it this way:

1. UEFI/bios update (do your fan curves/settings etc.)
  2. Chipset driver (do a restart, even if not asked)
  3. GPU driver (do a restart, even if not asked)
  4. other drivers like network or audio
  5. Windows Updates (option for automatic driver updates disabled)

Regarding the actual UEFI updates, just make sure to look after them in the next 1–4 weeks, your board does have a beta version with Agesa 1.0.0.7 and there is a 1.0.0.7A, B, C coming and a final 1.0.0.9. I would strongly suggest going with the recent version, even if beta, until Asus and AMD release a final 1.0.0.7xyz or 1.0.0.9.

That's my tiny advice and welcome to the community.

Hey thanks for the reply, really helpful.

In regards to the bios  version. Ive gone with the non bios version 1413, the warranty disclaimer put me off.

Had a question in regards  to the internet connection whilst installing Windows 11, if i use the WiFi antenna would I be able to connect to the Internet  without installing the lan drivers from Asus, or should I use the ethernet cable.

If I  can't connect to the Internet what should I do?

What actually happens when  we connect to the Internet whilst we're installing Windows 11? Are we downloading something?

Check list:

So update bios -  check

Chipser driver from Asus or AMD  I think AMD is this correct?

After installing the drivers In the order you mentioned the last  steps Windows update would this overwrite any of the drivers? or is it just security updates etc.

thanks look foward to your reply

Go with the og manufacturer for the chipset driver, that's AMD. You can use the LAN and or the Wi-Fi driver from asus, that's no problem.

Please do yourself a favor and use the beta ones this time, they already told Steve and Jay that they gonna change the disclaimer. So my advice is going with 1602 and update to a "final or newer" if its available.

What I would do, but that's only me, I would disable Asus armory crate in the UEFI. In my opinion, that “feature” is a pain in the u know...

Do you have build pictures if you don't mind?

Hey,

Update ive manged to Install Windows 11 pro and have installed AMD Chipsets just got the other drivers to install and than rub  Windows update.

Ooh just noticed they have removed the disclaimer about using beta hmm, is there any problem with 1602 that you know of? 

Would have to look for Asus armory crate kn the bios haven't come across it yet, will definitely turn it off.

Sure I  can show you my  build,  need to finish the  cable management  tho. I need to zip ties usb 3.0 cable amd some fan cables.

20230514_121007.jpg

This looks neat.^^

I would go for the beta, it is by no means perfect yet, espcecially regarding VSoc and memory compability, but it does try to fry your CPU so much as before

Amory Crate is to be found in the tools section in ur UEFI.

0 Likes

Cheers, went with the new official 1616 looks to control v soc under 1.3 but ive manually put in 1.2 for now.

Is asus suite 3 software okay to install? I saw  it in the driver download section on the Asus support page.

Is there any settings in  the bios i need to change?  I'm currently on how  undervolting works and how to do it.

Just recived my Nvidia 4090FE card this  morning  super excited.

20230519_122139.jpg

Well, I do think you could try Curve Optimizer and test your settings. Many just start with -30, but I suggest testing and try it. Some examples and explanations can be found here:

https://linustechtips.com/topic/1487126-ryzen-7000-undervolting-pbo-curve-optimization-thread/

In regard to the Asus Suite, I personally install only the necessary stuff. For cpu control just stick with Ryzen Master.

0 Likes

I would rather have Armoury Crate than Asus Suite. 

I know that AC is "problematic" and ASUS is slow to react, hardware and software wise.

But that's on you, if you only have an ASUS board you might just skip it however I find it useful to control fans. Plus, if you don't have RGB, AC impact is actually minimal.

johnnyenglish_0-1684595079779.png

For undervolting You have two options, either use the friendly Ryzen Master or go BIOS for the extra control.

Some advocate to start high and lower down things a notch till you get stable, but I feel that's for more intermediate users. Start slow and test it thoroughly.

The board BIOS does have a general rating (don't take it seriously however) of how good is your CPU, SP rating (Silicon Prediction) and its similar to Ryzen Master way to check the best cores. This is a cool feature for more advanced curve settings per core, but leave that when you get more skilled, not all cores are equal.

Start with -15 on all core with curve optimizer, be careful! With a mini ITX temps will go crazy and with that, PBO will have less headroom and so your boost clocks.

You can set PBO enabled and force it to +200 all you want but if you hit high temperatures you won't see good returns at all.

In RoG boards, PBO AUTO = CPU decides
PBO Enabled = Board imposes on the CPU till you reach thermal limit

With that said, leave PBO on AUTO for now, revisit this later when you get a stable Curve Optimizer, good temps and vcore voltage.

Browse the forum as I posted quite some information on other threads about this.

Example of a bad silicon lottery winner with curve optimizer
Curve Optimizer -10 or -5 should work well
Add vCore negative offset to keep voltages away from 1.4v thus maximizing headroom
PBO enabled with +200 or scalar 8X whichever performs best and gets stabler.

Example of a good silicon lottery winner with curve optimizer
Curve Optimizer -30 and its all peachy!
PBO enabled with +200 and let it fly!

Good Luck

The Englishman