cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

vdancev
Journeyman III

AM5 + DDR4

Hello, I want the new socket to support DDR4, since it will be cheaper than DDR5 and it will be less painful to update your home computer

for example 2 DDR4 slots and 2 DDR5 slots for future updates when memory becomes cheaper

=========================

Здравствуйте, хочется чтобы новый сокет была поддержка DDR4 так как будет дешевле чем DDR5 и можно будет менее болезненно обновить домашний компьютер

например 2 слота DDR4 и 2 слота на DDR5 для будущего обновления когда память станет дешевле 

0 Likes
1 Solution

According to this tech site AM5 IS NOT BACKWARDS COMPATIBLE with DDR4 RAM: https://www.techpowerup.com/282637/amd-socket-am5-package-underside-pictured

ExecutableFix put out a handful more details about the I/O of this socket. Apparently, AM5 is a pure-DDR5 platform, with no backwards compatibility with DDR4. The socket features a dual-channel DDR5 memory interface. The PCI-Express interface is PCI-Express 4.0, with the socket putting out 28 lanes in total. 16 of these go to the PEG slot(s), four to an M.2 NVMe slot, and possibly the remaining eight as chipset bus. Considering these are Gen 4, the next-generation X670 (X570 successor) chipset could have double the chipset-bus bandwidth compared to Intel Z590. A typical Socket AM5 chip, such as "Rembrandt," could feature a TDP of 120 W, going up to 170 W, according to the source.

So most likely there won't be any AM5 Motherboards with both DDR4 & DDR5 DIMM Slots on it since DDR4 and DDR5 are not compatible to each other.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

According to this tech site AM5 IS NOT BACKWARDS COMPATIBLE with DDR4 RAM: https://www.techpowerup.com/282637/amd-socket-am5-package-underside-pictured

ExecutableFix put out a handful more details about the I/O of this socket. Apparently, AM5 is a pure-DDR5 platform, with no backwards compatibility with DDR4. The socket features a dual-channel DDR5 memory interface. The PCI-Express interface is PCI-Express 4.0, with the socket putting out 28 lanes in total. 16 of these go to the PEG slot(s), four to an M.2 NVMe slot, and possibly the remaining eight as chipset bus. Considering these are Gen 4, the next-generation X670 (X570 successor) chipset could have double the chipset-bus bandwidth compared to Intel Z590. A typical Socket AM5 chip, such as "Rembrandt," could feature a TDP of 120 W, going up to 170 W, according to the source.

So most likely there won't be any AM5 Motherboards with both DDR4 & DDR5 DIMM Slots on it since DDR4 and DDR5 are not compatible to each other.

it is a pity that there is no compatibility, and I am a supporter of a small TDP up to 120 W

it is clear that the more consumption the greater the performance, but I do not want to put the stove in the system system, I am a supporter of a low-noise and energy-efficient PC, maybe they can do modularity well, if there is little performance, I added a modular processor with a turbine to the slot, two modules with a turbine are not enough (you can use a mathematical accelerator graphic or for video editing) oh, if I still paid money for ideas ....