cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

TamasB
Adept I

Adrenalin - how many GPUs?

Hi Guys, I am trying to set up a mining rig with AMD cards, no issues with 4, windows 10 and adrenalin can see all and mine well. when I add the 5th card windows is fine, but adrenalin cannot start, even miner gives error and stops seing any of the cards. The added card, 5th works fine on 2 other PCs, also tried adding a different card as 5th same issue, adrenalin stops loading and miner doesnt see any of the cards, all of them are RX580 8 G cards, asrock h110 pro mb and have a i5-6500 cpu with 16 G kingston 2400 ram.

Is there a magic setting in adrenalin or i have been missing something to have adrenalin 21,2,2 handle more than 4 GPUs?

Anyone pls help.

Thanks T

0 Likes
1 Solution

SOLUTION found - i did use the most recent version of the drivers, have tried with a prior version and magic happened, i have now 8 amd GPUs running smoothleee.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

by any chance, Have you tried using a mining software like from this Mining Review Tech site showing the best Mining software, as an example:

https://www.guru99.com/best-bitcoin-mining-software.html

Otherwise I would post at a Mining Forum and  ask them how they got to run several AMD or Nvidia GPUs on their mining rig.

Could be the cables you are using, the motherboard, the Risers, etc.

Note: What does Device Manager show when you hook up 5 GPUs?

0 Likes

Thanks Elstaci! Windows 10 list all the GPUs, AMD RX 580, all come up fine, even if with 4 or 5 plugged in, problem starts when I try to run adrenalin or any miners, they dont see opencl devices if more than 4 is plugged in... also swapped cards, tried with different cards as the 5th, same issue, those work fine in other PCs, also same issue only 4 can be run by adrenalin, have changed risers as well, same issue.

Any idea what could be wrong?

Thanks, Tamas

SOLUTION found - i did use the most recent version of the drivers, have tried with a prior version and magic happened, i have now 8 amd GPUs running smoothleee.

Please mark your last reply as "Solution" so other Users can know what fixed  your issue.

Also open a AMD SERVICE REQUEST (Official AMD SUPPORT) and  let them know there is a bug in the current Adrenalin Driver concerning Multi-GPUs from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

0 Likes
leyvin
Miniboss

The Driver Limitation for the supported number of Cards is proportional to the number of PCIe Lanes available.
With the minimum PCIe Connection being x4... 

As only x16 is Dedicated to the Graphics Cards., this means that you can have a Maximum of 4 in a Desktop System.
If you were to use Threadripper this increases to 8 and Epyc this increases to 16... but that's just on a Single Board.

The Drivers do support and use ROCm (HSA) via Linux., and this will support a Network of Cards up to 512 in Total. 

But again there is a Bare Minimum Bandwidth that is required for the Drivers themselves to recognise and support said Cards; and this is a DELIBERATE Design Choice. To go beyond this limit, you MUST use the Dedicated Mining Driver; which in turn MUST be running Cards with the Mining BIOS... or use a much older Driver prior to said limitation being introduced.

Said Limitation was introduced SPECIFICALLY to combat exactly what you're trying to do.
That is use Retail Hardware to build a Mining Rig.

I personally don't believe AMD went far enough with this Solution., and I think that the Drivers should be specifically rewriting the Graphics BIOS to cripple Blockchain performance on Retail and Workstation Cards.

While the argument of "Well, it's my money I should be able to do what I want with the Cards I purchase" might seem like a reasonable one; the reality is that as it stands., the Mining Card Demands has for the past 8 years caused countless Supply Issues and grossly damaged AMD's ability to actually provide reasonable enough supply to actually increase their Market Share by any meaningful amount.

In fact even during periods where they SHOULD be seeing substantial Market Share gains; they've continued to loose ground to their Competition; almost exclusively as a result of Limited Supply in various regions.

This ultimately damages their Business, Reputation and Long-Term Profitability (remember that Mining is a Short Term endeavour; between new Crypto-Currencies emerging and garnering a "Boom" Period).

0 Likes