Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Discussions

zazzn
Journeyman III

why i'm returning my 5700 xt

Hello AMD,

I would like to give you feedback on why I returned my 5700XT and went back to my old GPU and probably another team green GPU.

Let me first say that I've owned many AMD/ATI cards in the past and the last significant card that I owned was a 5870. That beast of a card was fantastic and I didn't have any issues with games or drivers. Maybe because back then you had more market share as you were the leader with that card for several years...

Anyhow on to my reasons to why I am returning my card to Amazon.

#1 Driver bugs and issues. I understand new products will have bugs. Color adjustment vs Nvidia is poor. Nvidia's Digital vibrance, gamma control, brightness and contrast work so much better allowing darks to become brighter and more adjustability. The Radon color tools are very poor in comparison when actually using them for anything meaningful. I ended up with a 3rd party tool VibranceGUI.exe to help correct the situation but wished the abilities to change would have been enough.

#2  Playing games like Starcraft 2 and PUBG  had unbearable freezing. At first, I thought it was my internet connection, but later discovered others with the same issues as me in the same games and same spots. Specifically, PUBG had lag/studders which would freeze the screen for .5 to 2 seconds and then teleport you across the map. Thinking this was my internet connection caused me untold hours of troubleshooting. Installing my old 1070GTX resolved the issue immediately. Of crouse yes I used driver cleaner and all the other tools.

Starcraft 2, also has similar problems with studdering especially at the start of the game. Basically, having the trouble in the two games I'm actively playing to the point that they are almost unplayable made it so I had no choice but stay with team green. I hope the driver team puts as much effort as the hardware team did for Navi.

Previous cards I've owned Mach 32, 9700 Pro, x800xt, 4870, 5870 hoping to get out of the greedy grasps of Nvidia.

0 Likes
2 Replies
zazzn
Journeyman III

I forgot to add the strange behavior when the focus wasn’t on the main screen. Any GPU accelerated screen like discord overlay, steam overlay and other things acted funky and would have a black screen or mis-behave. Another thing is if you had a game going and a YouTube video on a separate screen it just would not run. On my 1070gtx no problems. Just bought a 2080ti and yes while expensive as all hell and really really didn’t want to give team green the money. No more issues, it’s fast as all hell, and everything works...

0 Likes
zazzn
Journeyman III

Well, yes and no. I agree that they may have had higher FPS because of Nvidia paying or partnering but sc2 is 10 years old there should be no stuttering at all. The 5870 is what I used to play that game on before and it was smooth! Unfortunately, these are the only two games I play. 

0 Likes