cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Discussions

What instantly ruins a game for you?

Subject says it all. 😁 Potentially unpopular opinion, but for me, it's certain types of fan service. Just not...a fan. 😉 

Is there anything in a game that will instantly cause you to not want to play? Or may kind of put you off of playing? Content, gameplay, etc?

giphy

---
Ashley
Ryzen 7 5800X • Radeon RX 6900 XT • Gigabyte X570S AERO G •
17 Replies

If a game is too complicated with too many different keystrokes or combination of keystrokes in excess.

A Gamer that plays games for hours that has the proper equipment to play today's High Quality games and doesn't mind memorizing 20 - 40 or more keystrokes to press during a game may not be an issue but for a older non-gamer a complicated game takes the fun out of playing.

Granted once I learn the most common keystrokes to use during game playing then it isn't so bad. At least it gives me time to learn more key strokes later on which will make the game more interesting.

That is one reason I enjoy playing Hidden Object Games. Easy to play while being interesting.

That's a good one @elstaci , and I feel the same exact way. I'm too tired and busy to have much desire to learn complicated gameplay haha. 

Though I do agree that once you learn keystrokes, etc. it's not as bad, but the time it takes to get there can be frustrating. Also, if I spend a decent amount of time away from a game and have to re-learn things...yeah, no thanks. 😂

Hidden Object Games do not get the love that they deserve in the gaming world. Of course not all are created equal in terms of gameplay, puzzles, storyline, etc. but like you said, they're easy to play while still being interesting and that's a really good combo in my opinion. 

---
Ashley
vialli100
Forerunner

Cheats..

Add to that, Subscription based (used to love WoW) and Pay to Win..

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x, Asus Tuf Gaming RX 6700 XT, Asus TUF Gaming x570 Plus, 32gb G.Skill TZ neo 3600mhz, Samsung 980pro 1tb NVME, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1tb NVME, Lian Li Galahad AIO 240mm, Antec Titanium 1kw.

@vialli100 

LoL, True, Cheat notes does make is easier to play when stuck in a complicate gaming scenario but you still need to know what keystrokes to activate.

Cheat notes does help when you have been stuck in one gaming scenario or level and you can't figure out how to get past the level you are stuck in. I, myself, have used it in the past but it sorta wanes the enthusiasm or satisfaction of playing the game since you needed to cheat to beat the game.

but good point, I forgot about cheat notes.

Ripix
Adept I

When I don't get the "whole" game, and have to buy DLC or IGPs to get the best experience. Build games so everyone get the best game you can make. Nothing against adding value to a game, but the first job a game should be to be great, not, a money extraction tool.

tredeuce
Adept III

Constant bugs, crashes, lag, and queues, but that is probably most people as well. I also think if a game has outdated graphics, I just cannot get into it, no matter how good the game might be otherwise.

AlexXxX
Adept II

@Ashley_AMD wrote:

Subject says it all. 😁 Potentially unpopular opinion, but for me, it's certain types of fan service. Just not...a fan. 😉 

Is there anything in a game that will instantly cause you to not want to play? Or may kind of put you off of playing? Content, gameplay, etc?

giphy

Yes, bad graphics in the game

There is a game entitled "DayZ" and because of terrible pixelated graphics play in a game do not want with this problem, but i play because options more no, and this problem already as two years exist here so graphics everywhere (screenshot)

Nl9jU5h.png

hope once will come out new driver amd and this pixelated graphics in DayZ will leave in past and play will in pleasure

Totally agree, graphics can make a big difference.

---
Ashley

So can AMD engineers help fix it? This is observed on 580, 5700 cards in games using MSAA antialiasing (Dayz, Red Dead Redemption, GTA 5 and other). I have been writing about this issue for over two years.

feedback.bistudio.com/T149563 

@melis  exactly, I find this post ironic since a lot of us have been reporting issues for years without response and then AMD staff would start a post "What instantly ruins a game for you?".

The unfixed driver issue I have explained here is definitely one of the first things that makes an otherwise enjoyable game, unplayble: https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/directx9-unreal-engine-3-optimizations-loss-still-not-...

0 Likes
jay1131
Adept III

I don't mind a game with bad graphics or old graphics if that's what you're talking about. For example amnesia is great because of the story but graphics is not so hot and my most favorite is Neir Automata. The graphics was so bad that I had to download the k mod from nexus mod to play it until they officially released a high res texture pack but I love the story and played its multiple endings. Probably will never uninstall it but thats my opinion. My deal breaker is when I go to download a game and it says I have to download some dumb idiotic launcher and enter more data or worse in which was the case for Mirrors Edge, I was so pissed. I bought the stupid game because I played a game similar I liked and wanted to play that one. I uninstalled it and look at in discuss everytime I see it in my library lol. Also deus ex is my favorite,  bugs, glitches and all.

mengelag
Volunteer Moderator

100% it's games that use microtransactions to buy game progress, forcing anyone who doesn't buy, to level at a snail's pace. That takes all the fun out of it for me.

Ryzen 7800X3D - RTX 4090 FE - ROG Strix B650E iGaming - 64gb 6000mhz G-Skill Neo - Noctua NH D15 - ROG Loki Platinum 1000w SFXL - 4TB Samsung Gen. 5 NVMe - Fractal Torrent Case - ROG PG48UQ OLED

Game as service. Forced payment to see if game will be completed some day (that will never happen).

I miss the good old days when the game upon purchase was wholly owned by the buyer and was complete product without micro-transactions.

Key-J
Paragon

Honestly, the one thing that puts me off from a game so quickly is over-complication. This can show itself in many different ways, but normally you see it through things like Crafting/Alchemy or Skill-Tress/Character Progression.

I know a lot of developers are going with the, "play it your way" model - but honestly, I just don't want 100 options to choose from. I do want a certain level of cookie-cutter-ness. 

I actually just saw this video from Viva La Dirt League (Amazing New Zealand content creators btw if you have never seen them) that nearly perfectly sums this up for me.

----------
**Canadian Gamer & Father - www.twitch.tv/AFKidsGaming** - Live Wed & Fri at 8:00pm PST - Come join!
lowteck
Miniboss

Getting T-bagged...

What instantly justifies a game for me?

T-bagging someone...

Too Many CPUs & GPUs to list...
Ekelekuele
Adept II

😅Having an epic tier story line and an awful gameplay, that goes for you Tiny Tina...

BlackSabbath
Adept II

Yes Amd drivers 😂