cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Discussions

VR - yay or nay?

Hi all, hope you've had a great week! I'm curious - what are your thoughts on VR/virtual reality gaming?

Personally I haven't had the opportunity to play, but I've watched some gameplay (mostly Beat Saber and Arizona Sunshine) which obviously isn't the same as playing lol. Definitely seems like something I'd want to try if I get the chance though. 

---
Ashley
Ryzen 7 5800X • Radeon RX 6900 XT • Gigabyte X570S AERO G •
19 Replies
ThreeDee
Paragon

My 13yr old daughter absolutely loves it .. I thought it was pretty trippy just setting up her Oculus 2 for her and doing things in the virtual lobby/main room/whatever it's called

I haven't really played anything myself though.. 

ThreeDee PC specs

I had a go sometime ago, and I enjoyed a lot but I feel that VR may fall like 3D for SmartTV's

You need much more content, sure the Alyx game gave VR a boost but..

The Englishman
Anonymous
Not applicable

VR of that quality a samsung or xiaomi or other mobile phone of the last several years could manage it im guessing..

try configuring your device to actually use the snapdragon AMD adreno GPU graphics in there  (only sold in china and USA and tiny areas of UAE possibly?)

you can do so with a config.ini text file and type in the words how they did in dos.. works linux windows all versions since 3.11 and android and everything. i think every OS needs a config file to boot from a floppy for dos or for the OS to load it tells the display what graphics to use and other things. or how to set the memory allocation or soundcard hardware and so on.

plug in via type C thunderbolt or hdmi for the phone adaptor and give it a try.. i can game super awesome my LG V60.. but i dont own a vr headset to test it.

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/kwym8m4h4pbuu/Documents

0 Likes
Key-J
Paragon

I owned an Oculus Rift and absolutely loved it while I had it. I used to play lots of BeatSaber, Boneworks, The Lab and Quivr.

Unfortunately, due to a house move and change in computer room space I hardly played it over the last year since I didn't have enough space to comfortably run it. So I ended up selling it.

I would happily buy a VR set again, but probably something like the Oculus Quest so that you're not linked to the PC.

I think it's still in a phase where it's not a mainstream gaming item, but is getting more and more accepted. It's definitely a lot of fun, and games like BeatSaber are great to help you get your "VR legs" so you don't feel so nauseous in game. I know I felt a bit so during some gaming.

----------
**Canadian Gamer & Father - www.twitch.tv/AFKidsGaming** - Live Wed & Fri at 8:00pm PST - Come join!

Interesting, thanks for the perspective all! Getting nauseous in game is something I've worried about. I don't really get motion sickness but I've heard that can be an issue.

How much space would you say is needed to play it comfortably? 

---
Ashley
Ryzen 7 5800X • Radeon RX 6900 XT • Gigabyte X570S AERO G •
0 Likes

@Ashley_AMD if you want to be comfortable I'd say 2m squared. You can get away with less, and there is a "guardian" system that you draw to put up a virtual wall that will warn you if you're leaving your play space.

----------
**Canadian Gamer & Father - www.twitch.tv/AFKidsGaming** - Live Wed & Fri at 8:00pm PST - Come join!
0 Likes

@Ashley_AMD 

I bumped quite a lot and everybody had a laugh lol So I guess more space than an average Portuguese living room. (18m2) LOL

But this place has an awesome facility for Virtual Reality, I'm anxious to go back when times allow it. But its expensive 😞

https://www.zerolatencyvr.pt/eng/

The Englishman
0 Likes

Personally I love it but the graphics are just... like playing a Nintendo 8-bit game in all honesty. Maybe in a couple of years when graphics (and hardware) have improved but for the moment right now I say no.

------------------------------------------------

Digital Forge - Full-service digital agency

Digital Forge - Full-service digital agency. Visit us at https://digitalforge.nl
0 Likes

in hope that you will see this, any driver above 21.10.2 does NOT work well with hevc codec while being supported by oculus!

not even the newest drivers work right with oculus link OR airlink.

the fact that this problem is 2 years old is just sad, i went from my 460 with driver issues to a gtx 970 with no problems at all to a rx 6600 and i regret it..

the card is great and is amazing but vr on a quest 2? horrible.

this might be the first time anyone at amd will acknowledge this issue but i have low hopes of it ever getting fixed.

tpefreedom
Adept I

I have not tried VR yet either. I want to but I've heard that it doesn't work well on linux (a.k.a GNU/Linux) and oculus is owned by facebook.

0 Likes
ThunderBeaver
Miniboss

I personally can't use VR due to seizure issues. I can't even watch a recorded VR gaming video without experiencing severe head pains.

Note my comment is not said to dissuade people from doing something they enjoy and could build a successful career on.

I like VR especially for its practical applications. People can build real world virtual models and have an industrial 3D printer create a scale model of their creation for a fraction of the cost that would normally require extensive infrastructure and mass human effort.

When you think about it 3D printing combined with VR could revolutionize modular production. 

When it comes to gaming if you like it go for it.  

0 Likes
Sam_AMD
Community Manager

I played a tech demo back in 2014/5 at a convention (E3 or GDC) - I was a flight simulator. I loved it, but I had the same feeling as @johnnyenglish  "I had a go sometime ago, and I enjoyed a lot but I feel that VR may fall like 3D for SmartTV's". I clearly remember telling myself "...it's so much like the 3D "rush" we had a while back". 

I believe VR is here to stay, but only in a few number of industries; yes gaming, but I believe education, development, and medical research are the best fit. 

Gaming - I'm old school; a keyboard, mouse, surround sounds and of course modern graphics are just great for an action-packed immersive experience. 

Sam
Your biggest fan!
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800XT
0 Likes
Key-J
Paragon

You should totally take a look to see if there are any VR arcades in your area @Ashley_AMD . That's actually how I first ever played VR and what got me excited enough to play it lots before buying my own set.

----------
dj4aces
Adept II

I can't do VR at this time, but I do plan on getting into it sometime in the near future. So... yay?

0 Likes
gypsydangr
Journeyman III

I love VR. My only issue with it is the cost. I don't want to just get the cheapest out there but the good ones are very expensive. The other problem is content, there are some good games out there, but far too few to justify the cost.

DarkAmethyst
Adept I

Absolutely a yay. My issue, like many people's, is probably the cost but I managed to snag a Windows Mixed Reality headset (Dell Visor) nice and cheap off eBay~ Did have to get the 2nd controller shipped from overseas to complete it. Absolutely love it for driving games though, ETS2 & ATS, Assetto Corsa for example. Did grab Skyrim VR on sale not long ago, and while not played it too much have been enjoying it.

Desktop: i7-4770, 16GB DDR3, ASRock Z87 Pro4 and :sparkles:XFX Radeon RX480 8GB:sparkles:
Laptop: Acer Swift 3 (Ryzen 4500U, 8GB RAM, 1TB SSD) in ~purple~
0 Likes
Snobb88
Adept I

I don't like VR.  I need a keyboard mouse or a gamepad. I don't want to put on a helmet whit 2 controllers on my hands

0 Likes
venaur
Elite

A bit of both. I would love to see it evolve more and continue to grow. 

0 Likes
tredeuce
Adept III

Nay for right now. Perhaps I am spoiled on the graphics of regular games and the VR games seem a bit old. Of course that is how videos games today started, so maybe years from now it will be a yay.

0 Likes