cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Discussions

Time to upgrade my 10 year old pc?

So I built an AMD rig about a year or so ago. 

It was grand. Ryzen 7 5800x, 32GB RAM, Rx 5600xt 240 aio so on.  But I had a guy offer me and Irresistible amount of money for it once prices went beyond common sense range.  So I sold it and returned to my ancient Intel/ Nvidia device.   Core i7 47somethin somethin and a classic gtx770.   I was curious about punishing the cpu.  Not sure if this would even be compatible but if I can get my hands on a 6600 or even 6500 xt. I'd make a youtube video about the gaming experience.  

What would if there is an option to upgrade from a gtx770 to a more modern gpu look like?  I don't want to consider a 1650. Or 3050. I'm on here as an AMD fan as I appreciate their contributions to this industry.  Introducing real competition has benefited all of us.  So that being said. I've considered rx570.  Matter of fact I bought 1 off ebay. But it's got a short on 12v rail and I'm afraid to plug it into any pcie slot.

Skippy the Magnificent
5 Replies

I retired 12 years ago and bought a gaming PC 11 years ago (Intel i7 3770 and an Nvidia GTX 1060 3GB) that is getting long in the tooth.  I doubt that this can play any of the latest games like BF2042.  Currently playing BF4 and BF1.  I have flipped back and forth between Intel and AMD and Nvidia over the last 20 years however from all that I am seeing, AMD seems to be the most innovative of any of the big names.  So working on a whole AMD spec however waiting for prices to settle down.  I am 69 years old and still love gaming.

So I feel for you Skippy.

Since my post I've been playing on xbox series x a lot. But been playing 360 Era games.  So I'm with you. I want to build a relevant pc but too many components are simply outrageous in price.   I will wait for cost to return to a range that's not outside of sanity.

Skippy the Magnificent
0 Likes

I know how you feel. I've been wanting to upgrade my PC as well, but without a GPU there is no point in even thinking about any of my CPU/PSU/RAM/MB choices.

----------
**Canadian Gamer & Father - www.twitch.tv/AFKidsGaming** - Live Wed & Fri at 8:00pm PST - Come join!
0 Likes
dust0000
Journeyman III

I just put a new XFX RX 6500 XT in an older Gen i7 like yours. The Asus P9X79 though allows it to be over clocked and a 240mm AIO keeps it cool running at 4.6GHz cross all cores. Paring that with the RX 6500 XT makes it run everything in 1080P. Yes it is a PCIe 3.0 board but it still hooks up to our Oculus rift and plays fine everything we need. I would keep your eye on NewEgg for them to drop a $199.00 model of the 6500 and mixing that with your CPU will do some great gaming for a cheap upgrade.

00e0e_1gK0ZtfSSHJz_0CI0t2_1200x90001616_9cb2dIlbrTKz_0CI0t2_1200x90000u0u_kFy8ogWYtv5z_0CI0t2_1200x90042-E5833-F-B011-4386-B3-B3-472-A661-CE733

0 Likes
rockmuncher
Adept II

Linus, of Linus Tech Tips, did a video on something similar to this. He was able to play Halo Infinite on an intel 4770k and a modern graphics card. 

If you live in the United States near a Microcenter, you're probably in luck. My local store has AMD graphics cards in stock for prices near what you'd pay at Newegg (still inflated compared to MSRP, but that is the case everywhere. An old 770 in its day is probably comparable to a modern RX 6700 or a 6600XT, both of which are in stock at my local store. It really depends on how much money you're willing to spend.

I wouldn't use a GPU with a short on the rail, you could get some really bad effects on the rest of the computer if that is the case. I wouldn't even plug it in until you've gotten it inspected by electronics repairman with a good working knowledge of hardware and the ability to fix it.

0 Likes