cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Discussions

cyberstorm64dd
Challenger

Tessellation Effects and MLAA missing on RX6750XT works on ATi HD5870

I am noticing that tessellation and MLAA are not working on my new GPU in places there they worked on my old GPU. Some demos that exclusively require it give me an error saying that I do not have the feature at all. They are distractingly not visible. Or to put it in a way you can understand: Tessellation enabled, MLAA Enabled, but don’t work. This does not apply for some games, because they aren’t actually doing the tessellation effect, it’s just a higher LOD. 

MLAA works on my HD5870, and my RX560X.

it does not work on my RX6750XT 

(Real-time) Hardware Tessellation works on my HD5870 and RX560X. It does not work on my RX 6750 XT

comparison screenshots can not be provided as my laptop is not with me, and my HD5870 is broken in a way that damages other components of my PC. 

Current PC Specs: Dell precision, T7500 full tower workstation. 

CPU: iNTEL Xeon X5660 x2 (second processor is on a custom riser board)

RAM: 96GB DDR3

C Drive: Samsung 870 QVO SATA SSD

GPU: RX6750XT (Navi 22)

is there a program that can be used to test if features are properly working or not that is easy to use and understand? Most programs I can think of don’t work, or might just use the CPU/other parts of the GPU to do the effect. I 

Cyberstorm64 of UNYU
Tessellation Enjoyer.
3 Solutions
cyberstorm64dd
Challenger

NOT SOLUTION, But contains important information. 

MLAA and TESSELATION are BROKEN in the latest generations of AMD cards on the latest drivers. Other effects like local reflections for image-based rendering also seem to be broken in some way or other. |

MLAA DOES NOT WORK ON RDNA BASED GRAPHICS CARDS. (It works on GCN however) 
Automatic Tesselation is broken and framerate takes a larger than expected hit on RDNA based GPUs. 
Some Shading effects also seem to be broken, polygons inside of shape seem to be highlighted for no reason whatsoever. 

These issues do not exist on GCN cards or are less severe. 

Put simply, if you want your older games to look correct use GCN, or TerraScale. If you want DX12 Ultimate use RDNA3. 

Cyberstorm64 of UNYU
Tessellation Enjoyer.

View solution in original post

cyberstorm64dd
Challenger

Hello, This is the current state of some of the features of AMD's drivers on RDNA3 GPUs as far as I am aware and have tested or experienced.

• MLAA: Not Functional. Global or Per Game Enable makes no difference, the effect is not applied at all, absolutely nothing happens except for the indication it's been turned on in the Radeon Settings.
  • Tessellation: Functioning, however, there seems to be some slight issues with performance in some places.
  • Texture Filtering: I can't exactly tell if the enhanced quality filtering is doing anything or not.
  • 10bit color: seems to only work in a few places, not may games support 10bit SDR.
  • Video Upscaling: functions after some setup, sometimes breaks.
  • Video enhancements: not available for RDNA series GPUs (yet?)

If people from AMD are reading this, please do the following:

• Make sure MLAA and all other AA options are fully functioning.
  • Fix performance and quality issues with tessellation.
  • make sure texture filtering quality levels function as intended or better than intended
  • figure out how to get 10bit working in more places, perhaps by working with game devs directly
  • make sure that the video upscaling works more consistently and in more situations
  • Port the video enhancements from GCN to RDNA3 and allow developers to create apps that support those features. Especially AFMV (AMD Fluid Motion Video)
Cyberstorm64 of UNYU
Tessellation Enjoyer.

Things to note:

• A lot of this already works on GCN. (E.g., MLAA)
  • GCN's video enhancements might require specialized SIP blocks that RDNA doesn't have. (e.g. AFMV (AMD Fluid Motion Video (Would be nice to have on RDNA3)
  • Most of the issues are the things not working on RDNA series GPUs specifically. (Maybe RDNA4 fixes it? Or is AMD going to go into the new AI craze instead of fixing things they need to fix?)
Cyberstorm64 of UNYU
Tessellation Enjoyer.

0 Likes
16 Replies

I did that, the games that have the problem still have the problem, even after a drivers reset. 

and I am talking about real tessellation, where it fills in geometry data based on existing geometry data. Not the fake hight map displacement stuff or additional LODs/high resolution terrain. Curves in Need for Speed Hot pursuit (both versions) and other things are jagged and blocky. Not like “pixelated” it’s just “simplified” looking. The game is designed for tessellation. On my other GPUs the curves in the road are curved instead of being blocky. 

As an example, on all my GPUs that I have run valheim on, the tessellation on not only tessellated (added more geometry details) the ground, but also the giant rocks too on when enabled on my systems that are not my RX6750XT. 

MLAA is also enabled and not working. 

Cyberstorm64 of UNYU
Tessellation Enjoyer.

(The lack of working geometry tessellation is misssing in every game I have.) it’s also distractingly noticeable. 

Cyberstorm64 of UNYU
Tessellation Enjoyer.

for clarity, I am talking about automatic subdivision 

Cyberstorm64 of UNYU
Tessellation Enjoyer.

MLAA does not work on my RDNA 3 card either. All these things worked fine on my GCN and Terrascale 2 GPUs

Cyberstorm64 of UNYU
Tessellation Enjoyer.

Tessellation is working on RDNA 3 but not as well as it worked on GCN cards. Performance loss is incredibly significant when using Tessellation on RDNA based GPUs. 

Cyberstorm64 of UNYU
Tessellation Enjoyer.
cyberstorm64dd
Challenger

NOT SOLUTION, But contains important information. 

MLAA and TESSELATION are BROKEN in the latest generations of AMD cards on the latest drivers. Other effects like local reflections for image-based rendering also seem to be broken in some way or other. |

MLAA DOES NOT WORK ON RDNA BASED GRAPHICS CARDS. (It works on GCN however) 
Automatic Tesselation is broken and framerate takes a larger than expected hit on RDNA based GPUs. 
Some Shading effects also seem to be broken, polygons inside of shape seem to be highlighted for no reason whatsoever. 

These issues do not exist on GCN cards or are less severe. 

Put simply, if you want your older games to look correct use GCN, or TerraScale. If you want DX12 Ultimate use RDNA3. 

Cyberstorm64 of UNYU
Tessellation Enjoyer.

Been having the exact same problem, did you find a solution ? Or are we gonna have to wait for AND to do something about it ?

Tesselation seems to be "Fixed" on RDNA3. MLAA still broken on all AMD generations.

Also dGPU on laptops with dGPU is now only showing generic stand-ins for its "engines" in task manager, where they all showed correctly before drivers 24.1.1

Cyberstorm64 of UNYU
Tessellation Enjoyer.
olgabotezatu
Adept I

The most common cause for missing features is outdated or faulty drivers. Make sure you have the latest drivers downloaded and installed from AMD's official website for your specific RX 6750XT model. You can find them here: https://www.amd.com/en/support

on the same driver versions, verified functional and complete, the MLAA feature works on GCN but not on RDNA. Tessellation was specific to the games in relation to the hardware and not the drivers I think.

Cyberstorm64 of UNYU
Tessellation Enjoyer.

Drivers are up-to-date on both machines.

Cyberstorm64 of UNYU
Tessellation Enjoyer.
0 Likes
ritayong
Adept I

Hi, thanks for the solution it helps me too.

Mini Militia App Lock

cyberstorm64dd
Challenger

Hello, This is the current state of some of the features of AMD's drivers on RDNA3 GPUs as far as I am aware and have tested or experienced.

• MLAA: Not Functional. Global or Per Game Enable makes no difference, the effect is not applied at all, absolutely nothing happens except for the indication it's been turned on in the Radeon Settings.
  • Tessellation: Functioning, however, there seems to be some slight issues with performance in some places.
  • Texture Filtering: I can't exactly tell if the enhanced quality filtering is doing anything or not.
  • 10bit color: seems to only work in a few places, not may games support 10bit SDR.
  • Video Upscaling: functions after some setup, sometimes breaks.
  • Video enhancements: not available for RDNA series GPUs (yet?)

If people from AMD are reading this, please do the following:

• Make sure MLAA and all other AA options are fully functioning.
  • Fix performance and quality issues with tessellation.
  • make sure texture filtering quality levels function as intended or better than intended
  • figure out how to get 10bit working in more places, perhaps by working with game devs directly
  • make sure that the video upscaling works more consistently and in more situations
  • Port the video enhancements from GCN to RDNA3 and allow developers to create apps that support those features. Especially AFMV (AMD Fluid Motion Video)
Cyberstorm64 of UNYU
Tessellation Enjoyer.

Are you a Student at UNYU and if so what is your Major? Computer Science or Programming or Engineering?

Not trying to change the subject but by your detail technical analysis and troubleshooting I can tell you are studying some sort of Computer science or Engineering  major. 

Enjoyed reading your technical analysis even if I didn't understand many of your points since I am not a gamer nor into video Rendering.

0 Likes

Things to note:

• A lot of this already works on GCN. (E.g., MLAA)
  • GCN's video enhancements might require specialized SIP blocks that RDNA doesn't have. (e.g. AFMV (AMD Fluid Motion Video (Would be nice to have on RDNA3)
  • Most of the issues are the things not working on RDNA series GPUs specifically. (Maybe RDNA4 fixes it? Or is AMD going to go into the new AI craze instead of fixing things they need to fix?)
Cyberstorm64 of UNYU
Tessellation Enjoyer.
0 Likes