cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Discussions

amdfusion
Journeyman III

Should AMD Fusion branding be brought back?

I think that the elimination of the AMD Fusion branding was a mistake. It was one of the coolest branding campaigns in my opinion and it was unfortunate that it was dropped. Considering the position that AMD is currently in with 7nm APUs on the horizon, and the fact that we are literally entering into the Fusion era at this point I think that it should be brought back. What's everybody's opinion on this?

0 Likes
9 Replies
zealotki11er
Miniboss

I am sure they will have something once they have Navi online. They would want people to both buy their MB, GPUs, and CPUs. 

0 Likes

Yes but do you think the current branding scheme is adequate? Would it be simpler if there was simply the Ryzen/Athlon line for CPUs and then the Fusion line for APUs?

0 Likes
swaccelerated
Challenger

Should the branding be brought back? Sure.  How would it apply to marketing its future products?  Would "fusion" apply to the next line of products? 

0 Likes

I think it should apply to the next generation of APUs being built on 7nm. I think the current branding scheme is confusing. I think that Ryzen should be the CPU line only and that anything with on die graphics should be marketed under the Fusion branding. I think AMD needs to make branding simple again.

0 Likes

No.

Seems to play into "hot and loud" to me.

fusion - definition and meaning 

• The act or procedure of liquefying or melting by the application of heat.
  • n. The liquid or melted state induced by heat.
  • The act or operation of melting or rendering fluid by heat; the act of melting together.
  • The state of being melted or dissolved by heat; a state of fluidity or flowing in consequence of heat

Mind you the current GPU line is named after Stars which are also hot, so maybe that doesn't matter.

0 Likes

Eh, I think it plays into the future of efficient power generation. Clean and unlimited. But that's just me.

0 Likes

Yes, the GPUs are named after stars, which produce energy via...fusion!  Practically writes itself.  I personally think of stellar nucleosynthesis  when I hear the word "fusion" as opposed to any of the definitions you listed.

0 Likes

I never knew that. You learn something every day. Probably should have done my "homework".

0 Likes
ajlueke
Grandmaster

Well, I think the whole "future is fusion" thing has kind of come and gone.  AMD pushed that when it's Bulldozer based CPU cores simply weren't competitive with Intel.  Marrying those with stronger graphics parts was a way to generate value and stay relevant in the market place.  AMD even abandoned releasing non APU variants of desktop processors for both the "steamroller" and "excavator" refreshes of bulldozer.

With the launch of Ryzen when have seen that the "future isn't really fusion".  There are a ton of Ryzen CPU only desktop parts, and the entire Threadripper line. 

0 Likes