cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Discussions

ivone45
Journeyman III

Kernel power 41 rx5700xt

I have a problem and I have no idea how to fix it. All games are launched and  playing at 1080 60 fps + without any stutters and freezing. I don’t have any problems, but the other day I decided to install the AC Odyssey  and after starting the game a black screen appears and the computer restarts. In event viewer shows error kernel power 41. I decided to try the driver version 19.7.5. The game started, in-game benchmark passed on ultra settings at 60+ fps, but when it starts a new game it throws it to the desktop. I tried reinstalling various kinds of windows, installing drivers through the remote control on the video card, trying to identify problems with RAM, scanned the disk, updated the BIOS ... nothing helps.
My computer:
Amd ryzen 2700x
Sapphire PX 5700 xt

Asus prime B450 plus

RAM radeon performance series R7 2666 mhz 4 gb  x2

PSU Cougar cmx 850w

ssd A Data SU650 480 gb

0 Likes
7 Replies
ivone45
Journeyman III

Change pci express bus slot, the card now work at pci express 2.0 (x4 mode) (was 3.0 x16 mode) the game work fine but lost -8-10 fps... 

0 Likes

Your RX5700XT is a reference blower right? What are the temps like? If they are high then likely more current will be used by the GPU.

You should not have to run the GPU off PCIe2.0x4.

You can do a search and you will see:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2028504/windows-kernel-event-id-41-error-the-system-has-reb... 
also, this:
Kernel Power 41 error in Windows 10 [ULTIMATE GUIDE] 

Running at PCIe2.0x4 will reduce GPU performance and therefore reduce FPS which reduces power consumption.
If the game has an FPS Limiter, set that to a reasonable level.
If not then try running FRTC to keep FPS from spiking too high. 
As a last resort try running Radeon Chill with Chill_Min set as low as possible = 30, set Chill_Max to 300. Turn off Profile FRTC. Set Global FRTC to ~1 FPS below your monitor refresh rate or the FPS limit you want. Then launch the game from the game profile in Radeon Settings. Do not use the Radeon Overlay to change CHILL_MAX. You will very likely find that it will kill your Keyboard only input FPS, but Chill might be able to keep RX5700XT reference GPU temps down to stop power input problems. Rapid mouse movement should lock to Chill_Min = 30, or Global FRTC limit. The mouse locking behaviour is random in Chill.

0 Likes

Solved the problem by update BIOS with empty PCI express port (w/o videocard). Now finaly iam happy with 5700 xt)

0 Likes

OK glad to hear it.

0 Likes
ivone45
Journeyman III

well, decided to update the drivers to 19.9.2 and the problems starts again...

0 Likes

try 19.10.1 most probably work fine.m8 

0 Likes

My system is brand new. The mainboard is the Asrock Taichi X570, CPU is Ryzen 9 3900 XT,RAM is 32Gb (2x16) @ 3200Mhz, only a single Adata SX8200 drive and a new Corsair 850W PSU. The GFX as listed is a Gigabyte Radeon RX5700XT. The case is an open Lian-Li design with no airflow restrictions as all cables are hidden. 

Imagine my surprise when the system blackscreens so often that I reinstalled Windows on the foirst day of getting the system running. I have tried updating BIOS, new drivers, added extra cooling, yet I still get nothng workable from this sordid mess. Every option I have heard people suggest does not work. The system is running defaults, the PSU checked out AS DID THE ram.

The Kernel Power error appears too often on the event log for anything other than a hardware failure. Mainboard, PSU and RAM has all been checked and verified. even without a drive, the system blackscreens in BIOS screens. The component retailer has told me that the GPU has overheated, even with no sides on (yet!) and a 360mm cooling system. The system has blackscreened without the help of windows. Is the RX5700XT a dead duck and a waste of money?

0 Likes