cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Discussions

cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

Driver Software For RX 6000 and Earlier

When do you all think AMD is going to release another driver compatible with the last gen cards again. I have noticed The lack of new driver software over the last two months for anything before the RX 7900 series, and I am curious about when you think we will get some new driver software for our older hardware, and what features you would like to see. 

I personally want to see what more we can squeeze out in terms of performance in raytracing and upscaling. I would love to see even a small performance uptick in games like Cyberpunk 2077, or the Witcher 3 next gen update with raytracing on.

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
10 Replies
GreatnessRD
Miniboss

I'm thinking the next global update (For both 6000 and 7000 series cards) will be in March. The focus is on the 7000 series and the problems with those cards, so I understand the 6000 series not being a top priority at the moment since those cards are pretty well off compared to that of the 7000 series. I think the shipped has sailed on raytracing improvements for the 6000 series, but I'd like to see more upscaling via FSR and what not. Any performance update is welcomed for sure.

Leonidas - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | MBA RX 6800 XT Midnight Black | Be Quiet 802 Silent Base (Main)
Maximus - Ryzen 7 3700x | Power Color Fighter RX 6700 XT | Fractal Ridge ITX Case (HTPC)

I don't think we're likely going to see RT speed ups. It's mostly in the hand of game developers. I've played games that run great with RT, even on my RX 6700 XT. Cyberpunk and Witcher are not those games.

I do feel a little left alone in terms of drivers too, though. We used to get regular ones, to add game specific optimizations, and now we didn't get any in a while. I wonder if we're gonna get one for Hogwarts Legacy, which releases in 3 weeks.

I would be VERY surprised if AMD didn't put out game ready driver support for all GPUs and Hogwarts Legacy.

Leonidas - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | MBA RX 6800 XT Midnight Black | Be Quiet 802 Silent Base (Main)
Maximus - Ryzen 7 3700x | Power Color Fighter RX 6700 XT | Fractal Ridge ITX Case (HTPC)

It has been about a month since the last update for the 6000 series GPU cards.

With AMD Forum Users constantly complaining about how buggy and sub par AMD Drivers are and how some cards seem to be overheating with latest AMD drivers it seems like AMD is taking their time to release the next update.

The majority of Users really doesn't have a need to update their GPU drivers every time a driver comes out unless a specific App or Game requires it or it fixes a known issue they are having at the moment.

In my opinion I rather have AMD take their time about updating the GPU drivers and making sure the next driver update is not full of bugs nor causes more problems than it fixes.

cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

I do like the idea that they would be taking time to actually fix the issues we have been facing for months if not years. While I personally haven't had a major issue in quite a while there are many in this forum who have had to run older drivers because of this issue or that issue. It would be amazing to see people having a more positive experience with AMD hardware.

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
MADZyren
Paragon

I am surprised there is exactly one driver option for Ryzen 7000-series iGPUs and at least mine doesn't do well with video playback. It also identifies my monitor as 10bit although it is only 8bit, but I haven't noticed any issues with this. For video playback to work, have to change angle graphic backend -setting from edge://flags/  to OpenGL and disable hardware accelerated video playback from everywhere to get video playback working.

Also I would like to see a more recent and stable BIOS version. I was lucky to see other peoples experiences with later BIOSes and have stayed with Asus 0421 BIOS, which does work and I have not yet encountered any remarkable issues, but still... It is from 19.8.2022.

Maybe AMD has released so much new stuff, driver/BIOS people are overwhelmed and maybe the professional side (EPYC, Instinct MI aso.) and maybe the laptop side for OEMs are economically more relevant.

0 Likes

Try DX9 instead of OpenGL... I had better results with that.

Ever since they changed their DX11 driver, all Chromium based browsers are having issues, especially with video playback.

It annoyed me so much, I actually went back to Firefox. And I don't regret it. It's so much faster now, compared to when I went to Edge.

0 Likes
MikeySCT
Challenger

I think there might be a driver update for the RX 6000 series and earlier cards for specific new releases, for performance uplift and possibly stability.....like Hogwarts Legacy, Dead Space Remake, Forspoken and such.

I think AMD main focus now is on improving performance and stability for the RX 7000 series cards for now. So far, from what I've gathered, Adrenalin 22.11.2 plays nicely with many games, now it's only the newer games that might be of concern/

AM4 R9 5900X | GB X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB RT DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX |Samsung C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 FS 2 | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | CM H500M | Win11 Pro 22H2
DaBeast02 - AM4 R9 3900X | GB X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | Acer XR341CK 34" 21:9 FS | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | SOLDAM XR-1 | Win11 Pro 22H2
0 Likes
alejito480
Adept II

The lack of update for RX6000 and earlier is a true shame. I say, Forespoken came today, and they released a new driver that support the game... ONLY for RX 7900. Man, I want to play the game w/o any major problem. 2 months since last driver update and there are a bunch of games that lack of support.

AMD. I support you, but the actual driver maintenance is the worst, even Intel is doing nice w/ Arc last releases.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D |MSI X570 Unify| PowerColor Red Devil RX6750 XT | 32GB RAM 3200 Mhz
0 Likes

Radeon

Ryzen 3 3250U supremacy
0 Likes