cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Discussions

Key-J
Paragon

Do you remember the first game you played?

As the title says, do you happen to remember the FIRST game you played? Either on PC, Xbox, PS, Dreamcast, Nintendo etc...

I remember when I was really young, I had an original NES system and I used to play Mario all the time as a kid. However, when I switched to PC gaming, which is what I would consider my main gaming platform of choice. The first game I ever played was Virtual On: Cyber Troopers

Virtual-On-Collection.jpg

It was an Arcade Game that was ported to PC, and I remember spending an obscene amount of time on the "Family Computer" playing this game. Just watching a video of some gameplay now brings back such incredible nostalgia.

So, do you remember your first true entry into the videogame world?

----------
**Canadian Gamer & Father - www.twitch.tv/AFKidsGaming** - Live Wed & Fri at 8:00pm PST - Come join!
29 Replies
red5
Miniboss

First video game was Combat on the Atari 2600. I was about 5. My older brother bugged my mom until she finally gave in and bought one, and then he made me stay up all night and play Combat.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1085972132004991
Discord https://discord.gg/pttrmDpeVN

LOL

When I was 7 or 8yrs old'ish .. my single parent mom bought me a 13" black & white TV and an Atari 2600 that came with Combat. I played that game to death .. Night Driver, Berzerk, Wafer ..err .. I mean .. Pac-Man, Pitfall ..etc .. would follow over the years

ThreeDee PC specs

@ThreeDee 

Pitfall! Yay! I played that game on my "Intellivision" 

Intellivision.png

Sam
Your biggest fan!
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800XT

Yes I remeber the Intellivision  had many great times playing with it favorite games were Dungeons and Dragons and Qbert

Either that pinball game that came with Windows, or Civ 2.

0 Likes
vialli100
Forerunner

Space invaders.. Long time ago..

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x, Asus Tuf Gaming RX 6700 XT, Asus TUF Gaming x570 Plus, 32gb G.Skill TZ neo 3600mhz, Samsung 980pro 1tb NVME, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1tb NVME, Lian Li Galahad AIO 240mm, Antec Titanium 1kw.

Funny I was having this conversation with older brother and sister recently but they couldn't remember which console we had as in fairness we're talking 35 ish years ago (42).

It was a game was kind of a pong game

Looking through the images here it's def one of the consoles from the 70's but none of the ones on the picture. It had the one of those single controllers that just had a wheel you could spin on it to control like the pong paddles. While im 42 now I was in the single digits when playing this but can remember everything but the name of the machine very well.

Me after referencing a late 70's type console... and PONG!!! 😒 #oooooolld

dust.gif

I can't be sure, maybe Tetris in a public machine with a coin just like this. I was almost 5 at the time.

johnnyenglish_0-1649795066493.png

The Englishman

Love this thread! 

My first game was Super Mario Bros. / Duck Hunt. Actually not sure which one I *technically* played first (realistically, probably Duck Hunt lol) but that was the cartridge. Can't remember how old I was - probably around 5!

---
Ashley
Ryzen 7 5800X • Radeon RX 6900 XT • Gigabyte X570S AERO G •

@vialli100 - I think Space Invaders was the first game I was good at playing.  It was on a arcade machine.

On a PC, my first games were Quake II and Unreal.  I used to play my kids and they always beat me.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

First ever played on console was pong, first pc game was Jane's ATF: Advanced tactical Fighters.

0 Likes

Pong

On the first console ever, if it can be called that, since it only played pong.

Michael Alan Horton
0 Likes

On a "platform": Pong! 

On a PC (featuring a x286CPU, 40MB HDD, VGA, DOS 3.2, 5.25 Floppy Disk Drive, No Audio, and a fancy monochrome 14" display): Something-something-Golf

By the way, do you remember having to update/change the "Autoexec.exe" and "Config.sys" files to play games?

Sam
Your biggest fan!
0 Likes
Sam_AMD
Community Manager

@CN50 

I remember most of Jane's games. I think I played a couple, but can't remember...

That said, did you play Falcon 3.0? Remember the number of 3.5 disks (about 12?) and the MANUAL (200 - 300 pages long)? 

Falcon3.0.png

Sam
Your biggest fan!

OMG @Sam_AMD 

THANK YOU! I have been looking for this game for YEARS. Literally YEARS.

I used to play it when I was a kid, a friend of mine gave me his Floppy Disks to play it and I remember such fond memories of it. Look at those graphics, talk about amazing for 1995

947ac0158a3a09a14ce51aa40a156c43

----------
**Canadian Gamer & Father - www.twitch.tv/AFKidsGaming** - Live Wed & Fri at 8:00pm PST - Come join!

Never played Falcon 3.0

Mostly owned Jane's Combat Simulations  From Advance tactical fighters Dos / windows

AH-64D Longbow 

US Navy Fighters'97 

Jane's Combat Simulations -688 (I) Hunter/killer

Jane's F-15

Jane's IAF Israeli Air Force

Jane's USAF and F/A-18

All time favorite game to play was F-22 total Air wars, -  I logged so much flight time in that game alone. I remember it was one of the first games I playing online.

Funny enough I still have many of the Game CD's of these games full books and maps that came with them. They are the golden era of video games to me.

I still have F-22 TAW on my 2005 HP my first Amd laptop loaded ready to be played.

Sam_AMD
Community Manager

Ha ha! I remember now, that I played AH-64D Longbow (the Apache - attack helicopter)! Thank you!
Sam
Your biggest fan!
0 Likes
GreatnessRD
Miniboss

First game I played was Duck Hunt/Super Mario Bros on NES. It belonged to my Uncle. Then when I was about 6 or 7, my father bought me a Sega Genesis bundled with Sonic 2. You just had to be there, lol.

Leonidas - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | MBA RX 6800 XT Midnight Black | Be Quiet 802 Silent Base (Main)
Maximus - Ryzen 7 3700x | Power Color Fighter RX 6700 XT | Fractal Ridge ITX Case (HTPC)
0 Likes

You know, the Sega Genesis is the only platform I never had. But I do remember it made a huge splash in the market. 

Sam
Your biggest fan!
0 Likes

Sega Genesis was ahead of its time for me, Sam. I've never owned a SNES, so I can understand. And we know how huge of splash that made, haha.

Leonidas - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | MBA RX 6800 XT Midnight Black | Be Quiet 802 Silent Base (Main)
Maximus - Ryzen 7 3700x | Power Color Fighter RX 6700 XT | Fractal Ridge ITX Case (HTPC)
0 Likes
andrewG2
Journeyman III

I remember the first game I played was FIFA 04 on PlayStation and that FIFA intro still gives me chills. **bleep** those lines were awesome "game after game after game, I realize now the most beautiful thing in my life _FOOTBALL_" 

ajlueke
Grandmaster

I cannot remember which one I played first.  But it was probably one of these few games on the Commodore 64.

260076-omega-race-commodore-64-front-cover.jpg492737-warp-commodore-64-front-cover.jpg20337-moon-patrol-commodore-64-front-cover.jpg

Moon Patrol! Yes! One of my all-time favs!

I just played it a couple of weeks ago at Cidercade for about an hour, when I took my son there. 

Thank you for the walk down memory lane @ajlueke 😎

Sam
Your biggest fan!

As I recall, if you beat the game, it just started again.  Except the moon patrol vehicle was red instead of blue on the second loop.  I don't think any of those games actually ended, since they were all originally in the arcade, they were about high scores as opposed to any finite ending.

0 Likes

Exactly! They never ended, I remember finishing the game a few times (yes I'm bragging :-)). In the end, it was all about timing, when to jump, when to shoot, and when to accelerate/decelerate. Good times!
Sam
Your biggest fan!
0 Likes
Amber_AMD
Community Manager

I can't believe I didn't respond to this originally! 

My first PC game was Putt Putt Travels through Time. And also spent a lot of time on Paint LOL

header.jpg

As for console games, my dad raised me on a Playstation 1. I played: 

• Spyro
  • Crash Bandicoot 
  • Jersey Devil (which, I loved this game so much. I wish they would remake it for newer PlayStation or PC. Would deff play again for the nostalgia) 
Best,
Your friend at AMD
PC specs | Twitter | Red Team Discord

Put Put was just a legend of a game

----------
0 Likes
jamesc359
Forerunner

The first video game I ever played was the original Star Wars arcade machine that was released in 1983. I would've been around 6 years old or so by the time I discovered it in a local coffee shop/candy store. It sat tucked away in a corner by the candy section. I had to stand on a milk crate that the store owner kindly brought out just for me. At a quarter a play it was extremely expensive for a kid with little to no money. At the time that was enough to buy 50 gummy fish or 25 pieces of penny candy!

*pew-pew*

0 Likes
hrpuffnstuff
Miniboss

Outside of home it was the arcade version of Pong in 1974 that our local skating rink had.  At home it was F-15 Strike Eagle on my Atari 130XE hooked to a color tv back in 1986.  

0 Likes