cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Discussions

joumxyzptlk
Adept II

AMD: Help Microsoft with Nested Virtualization!

Hi AMD! Please help Microsoft to get Nested Virtualization into Server 2019 and Windows 10, at least for Ryzen 3xxx and the Zen2 based Threadripper and Epycs. I still have to use my old i7-4960x for this, which is kinda annoying.

Please kick them, that feature is a must - and I know Microsoft needs your help on that.

2 Solutions
joumxyzptlk
Adept II

Big update on this! Nested virtualization works!

Windows Insider Build 19640.1, create a new virtual machine with machine version 9.3:

New-VM -Name "S2019 Nested Test" -Version 9.3 -Generation 2

activate nested:

Set-VMProcessor -VMName "S2019 Nested Test" -ExposeVirtualizationExtensions $true

It will boot, you can activate hyper-v within that virtual machine, and it will work.

This screenshot contains everything you need to know.Win10-AMD3900x-nested-virtualization-works!.PNG

View solution in original post

As for Insider Build 21313.1000, the first one that fixed my PREOOBE Problem and installed fine since June 2020:

The configuration-version can now be 10.0. New created VMs using the GUI will have version 10.0 automatically. You can upgrade an existing machine to Version 10.0 in the GUI. Now you ONLY need to run Set-VMProcessor -ExposeVirtualizationExtensions $true -VMName <your vm name>. And then you have Nested Virtualization on Ryzen.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
saywhut
Challenger

Microsoft hasn't mentioned anything about an ETA for nested virtualization support for Hyper-V:

Nested Virtualization | Microsoft Docs 

I also started a thread on this over at Server Forums:

https://community.amd.com/message/2908791?commentID=2908791#comment-2908791 

cyberstorm64dd
Challenger

I could help if I had a little clarification on what "nested virtualization" is

Cyberstorm64 of UNYU
Tessellation Enjoyer.

You have a host computer, at least Server 2016 / Windows 10 1607. Activate Hyper-V. Install another Server 2016/2019 as virtual machine. Use "Set-VMProcessor -VMName <VMName> -ExposeVirtualizationExtensions $true". If you have a Ryzen you cannot start that virtual machine any more. If you have Intel, at least i7-4xxx or Xeon v3, you can then activate Hyper-v within that virtual machine.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/virtualization/hyper-v-on-windows/user-guide/nested-virtualization

I seriously doubt you can help if you have to ask that question. But it would be great if you are a Microsoft contact to push your kernel guys to make it work - at least for Server 2019 and Windows 10 1809 (and higher).

joumxyzptlk
Adept II

Make Microsoft listen (hopefully): https://windowsserver.uservoice.com/forums/295047-general-feedback/suggestions/31734808-nested-virtualization-for-amd-epyc-and-ryzen

joumxyzptlk
Adept II

Ah, finally!

From: https://windowsserver.uservoice.com/forums/295047-general-feedback/suggestions/31734808-nested-virtu...

Bruce kommentierte  ·  Dienstag, 11. Februar 2020, 14:43 Uhr  ·  Missbrauch melden

Hello Hyper-V fans! I was recently alerted to your feedback on this topic and I hear your request loud and clear! I run the engineering team that is responsible for the Hyper-V hypervisor. I cannot commit to a specific Windows release that will support nested virtualization on an AMD CPU at the moment, but I recommend monitoring Windows insider builds for previews of this support as we push the changes into the hypervisor this year.

That seems promising. I hope to see more in the future

Cyberstorm64 of UNYU
Tessellation Enjoyer.
joumxyzptlk
Adept II

Big update on this! Nested virtualization works!

Windows Insider Build 19640.1, create a new virtual machine with machine version 9.3:

New-VM -Name "S2019 Nested Test" -Version 9.3 -Generation 2

activate nested:

Set-VMProcessor -VMName "S2019 Nested Test" -ExposeVirtualizationExtensions $true

It will boot, you can activate hyper-v within that virtual machine, and it will work.

This screenshot contains everything you need to know.Win10-AMD3900x-nested-virtualization-works!.PNG

As for Insider Build 21313.1000, the first one that fixed my PREOOBE Problem and installed fine since June 2020:

The configuration-version can now be 10.0. New created VMs using the GUI will have version 10.0 automatically. You can upgrade an existing machine to Version 10.0 in the GUI. Now you ONLY need to run Set-VMProcessor -ExposeVirtualizationExtensions $true -VMName <your vm name>. And then you have Nested Virtualization on Ryzen.

ideaushertech
Journeyman III

AMD has announced that it will be working with Microsoft to support nested virtualization on its processors. Nested virtualization allows virtual machines (VMs) to run within other VMs, enabling more complex and flexible virtualized environments.

AMD's support for nested virtualization will be available through its AMD Secure Encrypted Virtualization (SEV) technology, which provides hardware-level security for virtual machines. With nested virtualization, VMs can be nested several layers deep, allowing for more advanced testing and development scenarios, as well as improved workload isolation.

By collaborating with Microsoft, AMD is helping to enable nested virtualization on its processors for use with Microsoft's Hyper-V virtualization platform. This collaboration will provide developers and IT professionals with more options for creating and managing virtualized environments, and it will also help to improve the overall performance and security of virtualized workloads.

0 Likes
vikasagarwal
Journeyman III

Contributing to the advancement of virtualization technologies within Microsoft's platforms is part of helping them with nested virtualization. Customers can report defects, offer insightful comments, and take part in beta testing for features pertaining to nested virtualization in Microsoft products such as Hyper-V. The development process can be improved by participating in Microsoft's tech forums, filing thorough bug reports, and reviewing virtualization documentation. To get early access to releases and to offer their thoughts with the development community, users can also sign up for the Windows Insider Program. By working together, Microsoft can improve and enhance nested virtualization technologies for the benefit of both users and the larger virtualization ecosystem.

Virtual Reality Development

0 Likes

You are a bit late - but if you want to help: Server 2022 and the newest Server vNext run into deduplication data corruption in combination with nested-v. However it needs a somewhat fast machine and SSD to reliably reproduce it. I try to get this through to Microsoft since about September 2023. Server 2019 is not affected.

Last update / complaint was December 11, see here: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/windows-server-insiders/server-vnext-25987-26010-and-server-2...

This applies to AMD  (Ryzen 5950x) and Intel (Dual Xeon 6228R) CPUs. Get the ready-to-reproduce packages, exported from a Server 2019 with nested-V host so anybody should be able to import them:

Server 2022 package: https://joumxyzptlk.de/tmp/microsoft/S2022-nested-2023-09-30-exported-from-S2019-host.7z

Server vNext 26010 package: https://joumxyzptlk.de/tmp/microsoft/Server-vNext-26010-nested-dedup-problem-2023-12-11-exported-fro...

How to use:

Have a host with nested V capabilities. Intel or AMD CPU. With Server 2019, Server 2022 or Windows 11 as host OS with Hyper-V active. Import the VM. Start the VM. Follow the instructions in the text file on the desktop to reproduce the data corruption together with deduplication.

To counter test: Either don't activate deduplication, or compare with Server 2019 in the same scenario which does not have that problem in the same constellation, on the same hardware. https://joumxyzptlk.de/tmp/microsoft/S2019-nested-2023-10-07-exported-from-S2019-host.7z

0 Likes
ebizneed
Journeyman III

If you know how to build a real estate app, this blog will help you explore AR and VR’s role in real estate apps. You can use AR and VR to plan your interior design. It lets people try out different styles and layouts before making any changes.

0 Likes