cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Discussions

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Adrenalin Driver 24.7.1 was released today (19 July 2024) - Does it work for you?

I've only installed the new 24.7.1 Adrenalin driver update on a few of my computers so far today.  I'm not sure yet what improvements are in this update, but it appears to be working fine for me.

What are your thoughts?  Are you giving it a try?

I did notice that one of my computers asked if I wanted to switch to the new audio device - being the speakers built into the monitor.  I am sick and tired of being asked this, or having it done without my knowledge until I hear the tinny sound of the monitor speakers and I know that I have to switch back to my regular external speakers.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
38 Replies
ardankyaosen
Miniboss

Here's the relevant part of the Release Notes:

Highlights

• New Game Support

• Zenless Zone Zero
    • Kunitsu-Gami: Path of the Goddess
      • Up to 16% increase in performance for Kunitsu-Gami: Path of the Goddess @ 4k resolution, using AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition:trade_mark: 24.7.1 on the Radeon RX 7900XTX GPU, versus the previous software driver version 24.6.1RS-663
      • Up to 12% increase in performance for Kunitsu-Gami: Path of the Goddess @ 4k resolution, using AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition:trade_mark: 24.7.1 on the Radeon RX 7800XT GPU, versus the previous software driver version 24.6.1RS-664
      • Up to 12% increase in performance for Kunitsu-Gami: Path of the Goddess @ 4k resolution, using AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition:trade_mark: 24.7.1 on the Radeon RX 7600XT GPU, versus the previous software driver version 24.6.1RS-665
  • Expanded HYPR-Tune Support

• Gray Zone Warfare
    • Lords of the Fallen
    • RoboCop: Rogue City
    • Like a Dragon Gaiden: The Man Who Erased His Name.
    • Click HERE for more information regarding HYPR-RX
  • AMD Radeon™ Anti-Lag 2 Support for Dota 2

• Takes responsive gaming to the next level by introducing an in-game option to optimally pace frames, further reducing input lag on AMD RDNA™ architecture-based discrete and integrated graphics products.
      • AMD Radeon™ Anti-Lag 2 features an onscreen overlay that can be used to display the system latency of supported games. When Anti-Lag 2 is enabled, the onscreen overlay can be toggled on using the ALT+SHIFT+L hotkey. 
        • Use the ALT+SHIFT+L hotkey to enable the Radeon Anti-Lag 2 Latency Monitor. Once activated, a small white chevron will appear in the top left corner of your display indicating that it is enabled.
        • Use ALT+SHIFT+L again to cycle through the following Latency Monitor display options: No metrics, FPS only, FPS and latency (in ms), FPS and latency (in ms and frames), FPS and latency (in ms and frames) with a legend.
        • To compare the difference between Anti-Lag 2 On and Anti-Lag Off, hold the right CTRL key. 
      • Anti-Lag 2 currently supports Dota 2 while using the DirectX® 11 API.
    • Join the conversation by sharing how well AMD Radeon™ Anti-Lag 2 is working on your system. This information helps us make further improvements.

• Fixed Issues and Improvements

• Improvements to stutter when AMD Radeon™ Anti-Lag and AMD FidelityFX™ Super Resolution 3 frame generation is enabled.
    • Improvements to stutter while playing Fortnite with DirectX® 12 API. 
    • Texture corruption may be observed while playing TEKKEN™ 8 with Ray Tracing or Upscale enabled. 
    • Corruption may be observed while playing Dying Light 2 Stay Human: Reloaded Edition with Radeon™ Boost enabled.
    • Intermittent system crash or corruption may be observed while playing Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy with Ray Tracing enabled. 
    • Virtual Super Resolution or Display Color Enhancements may be set to disabled after driver upgrade.  
    • Unable to change display pixel format with certain Windows display languages. 
    • Intermittent black corruption may be observed on scaled 3d models while using Origin or OriginPro application. 
    • Black corruption may be observed while fast forwarding using PotPlayer.

Known Issues

• Lower than expected performance or excess stutter may be observed while player Battlefield 2042 on Radeon™ RX 6000 and 7000 series GPUs. [Resolution targeted for 24.8.1]
  • Audio and video may intermittently become out of sync while recording using the AV1 codec in AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition. [Resolution targeted for 24.9.1]

Works great for me and I have not seen any issues with it!!! 
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor 3.40 GHz
Installed RAM 32.0 GB
GPU: Rx 6950 Xt M.2 nvme 2tb ssd seasonic 1000w PSU gold rated

Adam J Martin
Dragokar
Miniboss

Works so far for me. Didn't post the release notes it though, still salty about the com mods closing my thread because I was faster xD

CayroMx4
Adept III

No I don't have a good experience, DayZ is still broken. Next suck drivers . 

humanaut
Adept I

The terrible coil-whine introduced in 24.6.1 is still there... 😞

I had coil whine and found out its certain power supply's can cause coil whine so I switched to a sea sonic gold rated and no more coil whine!!!

Adam J Martin

I've never had the problem, but I know that coils are used in PSU's and other components as chokes.  Here is a good explanation from a Google search:

Coils, also known as inductors or chokes, are used in power supply units (PSUs) for many purposes:

• Energy storage
    Inductors store electrical energy in a magnetic field, which can then be used to produce DC current. This allows the circuit to keep flowing during periods when the power is switched off, and can also enable higher output voltages than input voltages.
  • Noise removal
    Choke coils can remove noise from AC current and adjust it to a unidirectional current. For example, two choke coils can be integrated together to create a common mode filter, which can remove noise from digital interfaces like HDMI and USB.
  • Electromagnetic interference (EMI) and radio frequency interference (RFI) prevention
    Choke coils can prevent EMI and RFI from the power supply from interfering with the power circuit. 

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

If there is coil whine with 24.6.1 or 24.7.1, and no coil whine with 24.5.1 or before, than is not the PSU to blame...

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Are you sure that you would have heard it when using 24.5.1?  

0 Likes

My RX 6700 XT is not a coil whine free card, but before 24.6.1 this was occuring only while gaming/high-load scenarios, but 24.6.1 introduced coil whine in Windows, most notably during scrolling in Chrome or Steam... After some research on the web, and on this forum, it seemed reverting to 24.5.1 might help. And it did. Weeks passed, 24.7.1 came out, updated, the terrible coil whine returned. Reverted again to 24.5.1, solved it again... So I guess 24.6.1 introduced something that causing this issue... Browsing on the forums it seems more people is affected with this.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I guess you just continue with 24.5.1 for a while then.  At least it works fine for you.

FunkZ
Exemplar

Other than it required 3 reboots cause Windows kept warning me my hardware had changed, otherwise working fine since in-place upgrade from 24.5.1 to 24.7.1

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

You skipped 24.6.1 for a particular reason?

0 Likes

I normally don't like to jump on an update as soon as it comes out, I wait and see if anyone reports any issues. June just got away from me and now we're almost into August.

Fix DayZ!!!!

Ok @BigAl01 , I take back my earlier statement.

24.7.1 caused TBP (Total Board Power) to increase to 40W average usage, and fans were always running at ~500rpm

24.5.1 is reinstalled, TBP is back down to 15W average and Zero RPM is working again.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I guess they broke something.

0 Likes
peter1956
Adept II

No Another flop on my end al games lead to crash at boot!
then the whole process of reinstalling 24.5.1 which is the last working one for me
Ryzen 7 5800x3d and rx7900xt

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

At least you have a recovery plan.  Maybe you should just stick with 24.5.1 for the rest of the year.

cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

After DDU I still have the only issue I had with 24.6.1 being that, Adrenalin takes a long time to start at startup.

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

It takes a few seconds on several of my computers.  On other computers, it comes right up.  It's nothing I cannot live with though.

I'm also noticing that long startup time with this version (about 30 seconds longer than it should take).  That's the only problem I've had, so far.

Sky822
Journeyman III

Hello,

I've experienced the issue with 24.7.1 drivers.

My issue is that my RX 580 4GB does not reset cache when exiting programs it just keeps using more and more VRAM to the point where it starts to stutter when playing video on YouTube, yesterday I had it use over 3GB, I exited all the programs and it stayed cached, 20 min ago I was 2GB cached, had to restart my pc to make it clear. 

I'll most likely go back to 24.3.1 drivers and just not change for a long time, think that's my best solution since had no issues with it, regardless of what I do, you should know about the bug. Cheers.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I think you need to use the AMD driver search tool to identify the best driver for your video card.  I've noticed in the past when I tried to update my RX 580 or RX 590, it only found older drivers for me to select from.  I agree that you should go back to the older driver that worked, and stay with it.  Also, think about upgrading your video card to a 7000 series, like an RX 7800 XT for example.  It will be a big jump in performance.

Thank you for the reply. 

I actually did use AMD search tool to find the driver, so I did that step. As for the upgrading the GPU, that would be impossible as I don't have the funds for it and the one suggested uses way to much power then my BeQuiet 550W PSU (real wattage) can supply. I do feel very fortunate to even have a PC. My CPU is also AMD, I have Ryzen 3 PRO 4350G, but I would not say it was the reason for the bug, I'm not 100% sure though.  

To update on my issue, I changed my mind and decided to let it run for a few more days and see what happens, so far so good. Strangely the issue only popped up the first 2 days of using the new drivers, now it's running with out issue and also boggling my mind. I don't understand why did the bug happen? 

Hope you have a nice day, cheers! 

redlightuser
Adept II

The issue with idle temps remains unchanged since 24.6.1 so i am stuck indefinitely on 24.5.1. I always install drivers using the AMD cleanup utility, while making sure the chipset drivers are updated, as well as OS, BIOS, etc 

I can tell now that the installer always had two options regarding information collection, difference being in the design. I did the 24.7.1 while unchecking those options, but still getting 55° for iddle temps on my RX 6600 Sapphire Pulse. Running around 41° now, as usual.

Maybe you can increase the airflow through your case to help your RX 6600 video card?

0 Likes
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Please remove the link @jack0076 , otherwise it is considered spam to advertise here.

0 Likes

Same temps on my RX 6600 powercolor fighter.

KillFrenzy
Journeyman III

My system does not give display output for first or first two boots and gives display output on third boot.

System specs:

Ryzen 5 5600X

Rx 6700XT

RAM: 16GB 3200MHz 

PSU: Corsair VS 550W

Windows 11

ardankyaosen
Miniboss

One other issue I'm having with these drivers is that their installation causes Event 7000, Service Control Manager errors in Event Viewer:

"The AMDRyzenMasterDriverV26 service failed to start due to the following error:
Cannot create a file when that file already exists."

I'd "fixed" that with earlier versions by deleting an entry in Task Scheduler and 2 entries in the Registry:

https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/the-amdryzenmasterdriverv22-service-failed-to-start/m-... 

But, it returned with this version.  I deleted those entries again and the error's gone away.  But, AMD really needs to fix whatever the problem is with that.

Mooncatt
Adept II

Completely broken for me, as was 24.6.1. Every game now crashes and reboots the PC on launch. 24.5.1 and before was rock solid.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

You should try using DDU to completely remove old driver files and then do a clean install of 24.7.1; at least, that's what I would do.  

Been there, done that, many times over along with many other things trying to figure it out.

thaddyBOOM
Journeyman III

It's not working for me, both my 6700XT and 7800XT are now rendered useless... I now running on my onboard graphics. This is Crazy, I haven't been able to game in four weeks, maybe more. I'm so upset I updated. 

I'd suggest uninstalling the existing drivers (with either DDU or AMD's uninstall utility) and downloading/installing an earlier version.  You might even try the Pro Edition (should be on the same download page as the regular drivers).  I've seen some references from people saying using those will let things run properly again.

Nosstra47
Journeyman III

Guys.....I have an issue where in my amd overlay, the CPU temps will randomly get stuck. It messed up the reading too on my CPU cooler. It just freezes it to whatever value was there at the time. This only happens with the adrenaline overlay. All other stats do not freeze and work great but the CPU temp just freezes. What is weird is that I was leaving my computer on idle and my temps would still freeze. This does not occur when I use MSI afterburner. What is weird is that to fix the freezing issue, I just have to open save settings and close. My temp readings then remain perfectly fine for my CPU cooler and I can use MSI afterburner and have no issues......the problem is that there are benefits to using amd's over because it is able to get information on frame generation stuff......I am wondering if this issue of the temp readings freezing has happened to anyone else with these new drivers. I tried the AFMF 2 drivers and let me tell yah, AFMF 2 is REALLY good. Unfortunately this drivers seem unstable and cannot handle OC or undervolt settings that been stable for a long time......anyways, if anyone has some insight, it would be highly appreciated.

0 Likes

@Nosstra47 wrote:

Guys.....I have an issue where in my amd overlay, the CPU temps will randomly get stuck. It messed up the reading too on my CPU cooler. It just freezes it to whatever value was there at the time. This only happens with the adrenaline overlay. All other stats do not freeze and work great but the CPU temp just freezes. What is weird is that I was leaving my computer on idle and my temps would still freeze. This does not occur when I use MSI afterburner. What is weird is that to fix the freezing issue, I just have to open save settings and close. My temp readings then remain perfectly fine for my CPU cooler and I can use MSI afterburner and have no issues......the problem is that there are benefits to using amd's over because it is able to get information on frame generation stuff......I am wondering if this issue of the temp readings freezing has happened to anyone else with these new drivers. I tried the AFMF 2 drivers and let me tell yah, AFMF 2 is REALLY good. Unfortunately this drivers seem unstable and cannot handle OC or undervolt settings that been stable for a long time......anyways, if anyone has some insight, it would be highly appreciated.

Sorry, I mistyped. To fix the freezing I open HW info and my CPU reading is working again

0 Likes