cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Discussions

naz1911
Adept I

7900XTX Owner's thoughts

I was one of the lucky ones to get the 7900XTX MBA card at retail price on the day of release.

After playing with it, I feel conflicted. On the one hand, it is much faster than the 6800XT it replaced, but on the other hand, it does not live up to what AMD said during the reveal event primarily being 1.5X to 1.7X times faster than the 6950XT. It's more close to 1.4X.

Is this driver immaturity kicking in with a new architecture, hardware bugs or, dare I say it, was I lied to? I hope that most of it is driver immaturity and it can be resolved soon! If not, I may be put off AMD for each new architecture release.

Case in point, when I got the 5700XT, the first RDNA card, it was a buggy mess. The 6800XT (Which i believe was an evolution rather than a revolution) was the opposite. More well polished and really stuck it to the green team.

Also, when I looked over the event slides for each of the cards, I cant help but feel that AMD were honest about the 5 & 6 series cards, but the 7 series just doesn't feel honest.

Just for the record, I am a fan of AMD, but wouldn't call myself a fan boy.

Your thoughts?

Better red than (Fill in the blanks)
9 Replies
Darkness_Angel
Adept III

Only time will tell.  I'm about to put mine under a full loop, just got the gpu block today.  i'll let you know how it does afterwards.

v/r
Louis Imbrogno
Linux Administrator/Application administrator
Dpt. of Army Civilian, former ET NAV submarines U.S. Navy.
0 Likes

So i've got it under water, 7900xtx under volted so far to 1085, 3300mhz clock, fast timing memorry, 115 percent power.  I've adjusted memory frequency, but it just robs clockspeed, and clockspeed gives more performance after testing then the mem clock.  also fast timing hasnt made a difference but figured i'd enable it if it works without crashing.  Stil got some more testing to do though, thats just how far i've gotten.  

v/r
Louis Imbrogno
0 Likes
MikeySCT
Challenger

Give it a little time, AMD needs the time to polish its drivers for better performance, why do you think their driver team has been spending all this time focusing on the RX 7900 series driver?

Like when I first got my RX 6800 followed by the RX 6900 XT, their performance in games improved over time. I've yet to fire up my MERC 310 XTX, but I'm confident that it'd easily outperform my RX 6900 XT by a decent margin by the time AMD has the driver sorted out. 

AM4 R9 5900X | GB X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB RT DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX |Samsung C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 FS 2 | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | CM H500M | Win11 Pro 22H2
DaBeast02 - AM4 R9 3900X | GB X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | Acer XR341CK 34" 21:9 FS | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | SOLDAM XR-1 | Win11 Pro 22H2

I have a Radeon VII, 6800xt and a 7900xtx, right now the 6800xt is rock solid as well as the Radeon VII, has been for as long as i can remember The 7900xtx, i think is still working out the kinks, nothing major i've ran into, but it can only get better, with better performance as well.  I have 2 2060s in my other machines, and still debating on what i'm putting in my current build that i'm about to start putting together.  

I moved over from Nvidia after having 3 failed 3080 tis on release within 6 months, and they only wanted to give me a refurb card each time, from all different vendors.  At that point i moved to a radeon VII and never looked back.  I did run into a snafu for a short period when the 5700xts came out and my boys were black screening all the time.  Ended up swapping those for the 2060s, but that of course comes with new hardware.  Look at the 4090 and the burn power plugs, and the bad batch of vapor chambers on the 7900xtx.  Everyone ends up a fan of what treats them the best.  I've had hte most success with AMD since building my AMD 45 mhz 3d now processor PC many eons ago lol.  I still got a ati rage 128 mb card and a 3dfx voodoo 12 mb card.  I left ATI back then due to major driver issues.  AMDs had much more success over the years since ATI went away.

v/r
Louis Imbrogno
Bernek
Adept II

Focusing at 7000 series and completly forgetting about the majority that are on 6xxx series and payed a premium for 6800-6900-6950XT for example ... I'm having VR bandwidth issues for 2 years. They will fix them all eventually ! The only question that remains in when ?!?!?!?

0 Likes
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

I feel like the RX 6000 series is in a good place. In my experience, gaming in particular, there are few issues. I also must admit I only run one display and don't use Freesync because I bought a G-Sync display by accident. While it supports adaptive sync, it is not the same as Freesync, so I manually toggle Freesync in each game from AMD Optimized to OFF.

With all of this I can tell the driver team is working hard to put together drivers that are stable and perform well with the RX 7000 series. 

While not all of the bugs are ironed out of the RX 6000 series, there has been significant progress made to ensure stability and performance, with a few problems here or there.

When I joined this forum people were posting about issues several times a day with the RX 6000 series. Now I see less problems with GPUs as a whole. I am aware issues for the RX 7000 cards do exist however it seems to me this launch has had less problems involving performance and the issues people faced during the RX 6000 launch.

I am a fan of AMD so there is a bias in my information, but from what I have seen, in the two or so years I have been part of this forum, AMD GPUs have been relatively good value purchases.

I am aware of the VR issues people are having. I can't really comment based on experience in that department, but I would hope people are reporting the issues using the AMD report tool so the driver team can sort it out.

Having an issue and not reporting it is, in my opinion, like leaving the refrigerator door open and hoping someone closes it before all the perishables go bad. 

I am looking into buying the RX 7800 XT when it releases, and I hope I can have as pleasant an experience as I have had with the RX 6800 XT. 

I know this post is all over the place but the point is, it takes time to put out drivers for a new architecture and I am waiting patiently for the performance to reflect the slides shown at the reveal.

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
eebiii
Miniboss

Send me your card. I'll put it under some H2O and give it a good run for couple weeks. Only way I can know. 

Hang in there!

0 Likes
MikeySCT
Challenger

The latest driver for the RX 6000 and earlier series cards, Adrenalin 22.11.2, seems functional with no major issues. Judging by the Forspoken and the Calisto Protocol GPU review is that both the higher tier cards, namely the 6800XT/6900XT are capable of delivering playable framerate with RT enabled up to 1440P, 4K is a struggle for both.

Do the drivers need optimization for better performance in these, and other, games? Definitely. But as it is now, the driver is, as I'd stated, functional but in need of newer game optimizations to bring out the best in them, and earlier cards.

AM4 R9 5900X | GB X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB RT DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX |Samsung C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 FS 2 | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | CM H500M | Win11 Pro 22H2
DaBeast02 - AM4 R9 3900X | GB X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | Acer XR341CK 34" 21:9 FS | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | SOLDAM XR-1 | Win11 Pro 22H2
EmilG
Adept III

Well, it's been almost 2 full months since the release of the 7900 GPUs and also when I bought mine, and I bought one to upgrade from my 6800 XT, which I bought to upgrade from a 2060. I play exclusively VR.

Its also been almost 2 full months since I've touched my PC because the new 7900 GPUs cannot play any VR game without constant stuttering and bad performance. I have to lower the graphics in my VR headset to even lower than what I had my 2060 set at, and it still stutters and performs badly. 

So all in all, I'm incredibly pissed off that I bought a top of the line AMD product, just for it to perform worse than a 2 generation old 2060 GPU. What's worse is that the amd spokespeople aren't being transparent with the issue what so ever, providing absolutely no updates to all those people in my shoes who bought these cards to play VR. You can absolutely guarantee that my self and all those others are never coming back to AMD after this.

Such a shame.