cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Discussions

WreckTangle
Journeyman III

5950x Build with Workstation Mobo Questions and Opinions

Building a new rig for my father, he wants it to have the 5950x (obviously cant get it now) with a workstation board. I've been compiling a build list and I can't seem to really find any workstation boards that will support that CPU socket size.... 

He has been using a Asus P8 Z77 WS mobo since 2011 with a i7-3770 with 0 problems since he built it--very stable.

Right now, the only Asus workstation mobo I can find is the ASUS AMD AM4 PRO WS X570-ACE ATX Workstation.

Can anyone recommend a Workstation board that will fit the 5950x? Asus, prefered but will consider other brands. 

0 Likes
2 Replies
pistolet53
Journeyman III

According to the reviews I've seen on X-570 motherboards, this particular model is the only X-570 board that currently aims directly to the  "workstation" crowd with this product. It looks like a very solid choice. You can't go wrong with it. I personally own a 5950X with an X570 Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Wi-Fi and it is a beast!

There are some very good motherboards from other manufacturers but none that are squarely aimed at workstations. Your other options are not on the AM4 platform. The Threadripper platform is definitely aimed at the workstation crowd and there are some very good choices available, at higher cost though.

Good luck finding the perfect hardware for your father. I'm sure he deserves it!

Thanks I'll definitely check into that board... May be leaning towards a threadripper which will give me more "workstation" options, plus additional capabilities to support more RAM.
0 Likes