cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Discussions

bkone
Adept I

5700 XT black screens, system reboots etc.

Hello all, I have a 5700xt, R5 3600X, MSI X570 Gaming Plus, EVGA 850W PSU, 16 gigs 3200 Team RAM (2x8g) and WIN 10 (their latest hot mess) and I get black screens while playing WoW of all things.  Yes I have the latest drivers as of 8/22/19.  I have been through hell and back with this.  Had a 970 EVO as my primary HD lost all of that do to errors upon errors now I'm running a 500gig samsung 860.  Everything I have replaced or changed in this system and still I get either crashes or black screens.  I have run it with ram oc'd crashed no oc crashed, switched ram to corsair 3000, crashed. Uninstalled Radeon software over and over used that 3rd party driver uninstaller as well. Re installed to the latest radeon software.  Played wow last night I get into a raid and what do ya know my screen goes black again.  Ive had days where things have been fine but then it comes back. I downloaded and installed(i thought) a realtek sound driver that "finished" installing 3 days later.  Been chasing BS in the event log nothing seems to make it go away. BTW I have wiped my drives and started fresh so thats not it either.  PLEASE help..  I have built a number of systems all AMD in the past, and have never had this level of headache before.  I am a true team red fan, but I'm at my wits end. I am sure this is something stupid I have overlooked but I am at a loss.

14 Replies
xtzee
Adept I

Same issue here. Used a 3800X and 5700 xt on an Asus B450 itx board. tried all posibilities I could think of.

First I got full crashes. Now I get black screen hiccups in game.

mast3rblast3r01
Journeyman III

The only time I get black screen flashes is when I have more then one window/application open. I have a dual screens so I like having multiple things open. But not with my radon 5700.

This a link to a string with the similar issues. I also stated my problems in this. 

RX 5700 Still crashing streamlabs OBS and Apex 

0 Likes
moody
Adept I

Would say similar, however have stopped with the crashing, but realised that if I run discord. When flicking through it, discord would freeze, followed by all 3 monitors freeze shortly going black screen. Given a few minutes everything comes back fine. However on my mobo it has the VGA LED lit, signalling this to be my 5700xt Thicc 2 being the issue.

Tested this by replacing the gpu with my old 1060 and everything worked fine after an hour. Then placed back the 5700xt and immediately exhibited the issue again. 

Also noticed when running MSI after burner for my own fan curve, the monitors would flicker black every so often. 

If I don't have MSI running and not flicking through discord these issues do not occur. Clearly a driver issue. Used DDU to wipe everything GPU AMD/NVIDIA related and the issue persists.

Will most likely RMA the GPU if I can't use something as basic as MSI After Burner, discord I can sorta live without flicking through, but the GPU with the default curve is horrifying seeing temps hit 90 c on normal gaming session.

Same issue running discord in the background. I just updated to a x570 board.  Still issues from time to time with a clean install. No crashing in games, but discord blacks out for sure.

0 Likes

Which version of windows are people running? I had Win10 home just upgraded to pro and haven't had an issue since.

0 Likes

Personally running Windows 10 Pro and I can certainly confirm this is a driver issue due to the fact that I downgraded the drivers to  19.7.2 and the only issue I now have is literally chrome crashing like three times a day at most? 

But yeah as stated 19.7.2 seems to be a golden driver for me at the very least, near no issues and discord isn't forcing my displays to die off.

0 Likes
zealotki11er
Miniboss

Try setting a more aggressive fan curve. Try even 100% fan to see if temp is the problem. 90C is a bit too high even for the stock cooler. This indicated bad case airflow. 

0 Likes

What if I told you that even if you leave the case open it'll hit that on its default fan curve? None the less I've played around with the voltage now and adjusted the fan curve 10% at 40, 30% at 50, 60% at 70 and 100% at 100. Temps now peak at around the mid 70's region and low 80's.

Also just to mention ambient room temp sits around 25 marker atm, so 90c could be realistic looking at its default fan curve. Which is literally 10% till 60 20% at 70, 50% at 80 and 60% at 100.

0 Likes

Have you crashed since changing the fan curve? I went 2 days working perfect and within 15 mins of changing the stock curve it crashed hard and reset the overlay settings. So again I am lost with what is going on. I do agree that Microsoft and the AMD drivers are not playing well together.

0 Likes

I can't say for sure as I've been messing around with Voltage, however during the day before I started messing around with the voltage and only touched the fan curve, I had no issues.

Currently using Wattman in Radeon settings to adjust the fan curve. Though I will say the fans kicking in when they should its kind of a hit and a miss 80% of the time it kicks in right. But thats just from when I stare at HWinfo64 and Wattman.

Though if you are saying you get full on system crashes, I've not BSOD for a good few days now. If you are refering to the screens blacking out and coming back...I would say yes, though that maybe due to me playing with the voltage at this stage.

0 Likes

Might have found something if you are using discord. I disabled the discord overlay and all of a sudden 4 hours without crashes.

0 Likes
bkone
Adept I

So I upgraded to Win10 Pro, did a fresh driver install(19.8.2) with system disconnected from the web for the driver install.  Not sure if that matters but it's what I did.  Played last night and since 5am until now 4pm, and all has been well,  temps peaked at 80 running RS Siege.  I'm not sure what's different but my reference 5700 xt has been fantastic.  Had the metrics running on screen the whole time from the Radeon software gpu was hitting 1900+ at times no hiccups whatsoever.  Have a bunch of airflow in my case so I'm sure that has helped with the temps.

0 Likes
bkone
Adept I

I changed the fan curve went up 10% on each setting from 50c on and it ran great stayed pretty cool, peaked around 74c.  Then boom black screen.  Reboot then a nice side note telling me radeon settings reset to defaults. Why does simply adjusting the fan curve through the AMD provided driver cause this?  Uggghhh.  There is no good reason for this card to be allowed to get so hot.  I mean noise is not an issue for me I have a monster of a case so I can't really hear it anyway.

0 Likes
cesarpichardo
Journeyman III

I have the same problem for 1 month and I could not solve it.

0 Likes