cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

badm4n
Adept I

Z1 Extreme GPU Inaccessible by RuneLite Plugins

The RuneLite client is a 3rd-party, but supported interface for Old School Runescape. Some of the plugins for this application allow the application to access the GPU to render some graphical enhancements not originally included in the games more minimal official interface.

These plugins (specifically "GPU" and "117 HD") function on all other APUs I have tested on, to include:
4500U
5700U
5700G
6800U
6850U
as well as the Steam Deck's Aerith

However, when turning either of these plugins on with the Z1 Extreme, the application stalls and then Windows stalls, sending you to a black screen for 5-10 seconds before everything comes back up except the application.

Looking deeper, I was able to find "Application has been blocked from accessing graphics hardware" within the Windows errors. In response, I have tried pointing the application to use the GPU directly through graphics settings, as well as tried setting the tdrdelay to pretty generous times, but all this does is prolong the driver stall.

I have tried this on the same unit with two clean installations of Windows, fully updated in Windows, MyAsus, and the Asus Armory Crate.

Does anyone have any other recommendations? This really feels like a driver-level issue.

8 Replies
badm4n
Adept I

Bump for visibility, would love if anyone has any ideas.

0 Likes
badm4n
Adept I

There is no ability to report a bug from the AMD software with the Z1 Extreme, so as an additional effort, I have reported this issue using my desktop with the explicit header that it is for a different machine.

0 Likes
badm4n
Adept I

Bump

0 Likes
badm4n
Adept I

Bump

0 Likes
ramihaidafy
Adept II

Seems driver-related. We are all asking for official Z1 Extreme drivers: https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/graphics-drivers-for-ryzen-z1-extreme/m-p/614065

Draxis
Adept I

Didn't AMD say they weren't officially supporting the Z1 with driver updates, and that it's up to Asus to develop and provide them? Not that they couldn't change their mind. They said the same thing about the 7840U drivers initially, but are supposedly supporting them at some point (The last driver update tried to add support but failed miserably.)

I did not even realize this. Given Asus's track record for maintaining their own software updates as it stands, this doesn't seem like very good news to me. I might be considering one of the 7840U handhelds now.

0 Likes

Not develop the driver, just take the official AMD drivers and optimize them for the manufacturers particular devices. Usually involves setting the power profile, fan curves etc.

0 Likes