cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

HARDWELL9191
Journeyman III

XFX 7900 XT Screen Freeze

So basically, I got a new GPU yesterday the XFX 7900 XT Merc Black and it all seems to work fine while gaming, but when just browsing or doing anything on my PC every couple of hours my screen image just freezes audio becomes choppy and then it also cuts out. Any idea what's causing this? Myb a driver issue? I previously had an Nvidia RTX 3070 installed. I uninstalled the drivers using DDU in safe mode so that shouldn't be interfering with these drivers. Any ideas how to fix this?

0 Likes
2 Replies
asnyder
Journeyman III

I have this exact card and this exact issue. I've tried 3 different versions of the drivers for the 7900XT and none fix it. Gaming is fine, it can go hours and hours with no issues. Thermals are in 30-40 C range. Just web browsing in Chrome and randomly it will freeze the PC. The mouse/keyboard stop working. Sound, if playing, stutters, becomes choppy, buzzy, major digital distortion. I don't use the sound card HDMI audio. It's only hooked up the DisplayPort. Everything else on PC is brand new AMD 7700 CPU, 32GB RAM, 2TB NVMe, Windows 10 Pro x64. I've also tried reinstalling drivers, using DDU, using the built in driver cleanup option, even reinstalling Windows and the issue persists. It's maddening!

0 Likes

@HARDWELL9191 Just wanted to post that the new Adrenalin 23.3.1 drivers in March 2023 mentioned freezing as a fix and I haven't had this issue since installing them. My PC is night and day more stable than before the March driver update. I haven't yet installed the current driver 23.3.2 but I suspect it's fixed in that too.

0 Likes