cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Drivers & Software

Koxy
Journeyman III

World of Warcraft unable to run DX12

What happens is this: If your game client TRIES to use Dx12, it hangs on startup. The main client window opens, mouse disappears and then just nothing happens at all. The client stays in background. You have 2 options there. Either do not touch anything and nothing happens, OR you can alt-tab to the client or press mouse buttons. Then you get the generic windows error message saying "the app doesnt respond etc etc" with the usual greyed out window. You can click Keep waiting and then you can watch a blank black screen until you do literally anything to get the same error to then decide to close the game.

Ways to still launch the game as a player in Dx11:

Option1: - We need to close battlenet, delete every kind of cache file in the WoW folder, then Right click run as admin the WoW.exe, select language/region, then sit in front of the black screen for 2-5minutes until the first launch cinematic plays, then the game is usable BUT it is in dx11.

Option2: - launch command "-d3d11" both Classic/retail/whatever version in the battlenet settings to enforce DX11

Edit1:
Additional info, this started happening during their 10.2.0 PTR testing that goes back to roughly early October this year. This error happening was relatively rare, but it became more and more of a problem as I guess I kept updating the GPU driver in Adrenalin

Drivers (all, not only GPU) are up-to-date. Tickets created at Blizzard always say that AMD has to fix something to make it work, they are helpless

device is AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT

5 Replies
rdawise
Adept I

Can confirm this issue is still occurring and is very, very, annoying.

0 Likes
Silmarill
Journeyman III

Same issue for me.

Intel i9-13900k,
AMD 7900XTX,
Gigabyte Z790 Gaming X,
RAM Corsair DDR5 64GB 6000MT/s,
PSU Corsair HX1000

Windows 11 pro for Workstations 22H2

Feeling bad because my friends laughed at me since I chose AMD while they chose Nvidia...

0 Likes

Try the latest drivers 24.1.1. That fixed it for me. 

0 Likes

Just tried, having the exact same issue

Waiting for next build I guess

0 Likes

Sorry to hear that. I had to do the workaround before but the new drivers fixed it for me so I can just run it normally. I did the trick to run it in Windowed then swap to full screen once in game. I have a 7900xtx too.

0 Likes