cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

gjlies
Adept I

Windows black screens after updates

So sick of having this issue, but no solution has completely gotten rid of this problem.  I had a 6800 since 2020.  Not sure when the issues started, maybe 6 months after I got the card.  It started with the PA-300 error and AMD software refusing to start.  Not sure how I initially fixed this, but now when ever I encounter the issue I use DDU to uninstall all amd drivers, and reinstall amd software and driver.

The issue progressed to random black screens (All 3 of my monitors).  The problem here always seems to be the same.  Windows does some update or automatically installs a conflicting driver, then tries to swap to it while I'm using my computer.  I have to force shutdown by holding the power button every time.  Once again the only solution appears to be restarting in safe mode, removing AMD drivers, and reinstalling the driver from AMD.  I've tried every trick I could find to fix this issue (I have a previous post which did solve the problem for around half a year).

Windows is setup to not install any drivers automatically.  I've block windows from installing GPU driver updates.  This worked for a while and once again the problem is back in full force.  When the issue occurs I typically check recent updates from windows and there is never anything driver related, so I'm not sure how, but it must somehow still be installing conflicting drivers.  Each time black screens...

Now the problem has evolved to where I start my computer and nothing ever appears, just black screens on all three monitors.  I have to repeatedly force my computer to power down and restart until randomly like 20% of the time, my screens will turn on.  Then I can boot in safe mode, unistall drivers, and reinstall drivers.  I'm so sick of this issue.  Its at least a monthly problem.

I'm so tired of trying to get this **bleep** card to work properly.  I don't know what to do.  I've exhausted every piece of information I can find on the issue and I still get it every 2-4 weeks.  I'm not even sure if disabling windows updates forever would help at this point (And obviously isn't a good solution).  Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

10 Replies
ThreeDee
Paragon

Knowing your full PC specs would be helpful ... including make/model/age of your power supply

ThreeDee PC specs
0 Likes

Windows 10 Home, 5900X, 6800, 800W Gold 80+ Apevia, 16GB DDR4 3200.

Its not a hardware issue, I'm 100% sure its driver related issues caused by windows and AMD.  I'm not sure why the problem is coming back, but the fix is always removing drivers and reinstalling them.

Apevia isn't really known for having quality power supplies .. but maybe the one you have is ok .. maybe

Do you know the specific model?

ThreeDee PC specs
0 Likes

this has all the signs of being a software issue. I doubt checking the psu is any useful since were not talking just crashes here. If anything... id be checking the ram/ssds, just to be sure.

0 Likes
PotatoSheep
Adept I

I know it it might be not very useful, but after the first time this thing has happened to me, i did everything the internet tells you to do when windows fiddles with the drivers (i suppose youve already done those), as well as just limiting windows updates to happen once a month. so far so good. also, when using DDU- look at their guide, they suggest turning on additional options that are not enabled by default. might help. I feel you though.. these problems are **bleep** frustrating to deal with.

0 Likes

Are you using a garbage PSU as well?

ThreeDee PC specs
0 Likes
gjlies
Adept I

Once again back to this problem.  The most success I had was completely reinstalling windows and never installing the Adrenalin software.  This was working for about half a year.  Today marks the day where I am reminded I will never escape this problem.  All my screens randomly went black.  Forced to shut down my computer and restart.

On restart I'm left with only one monitor working in low resolution.  Don't even have all the tools to deal with this again since I re-installed windows.  Just downloaded Adrenalin and reinstalled the driver that way... Working for now.  Can't wait to be forced to reinstall windows again because AMD driver software won't work.

Still appears to be no solid solution on this.  Never buying an AMD card again.

0 Likes
gjlies
Adept I

I sent in a ticket to AMD support to help solve this problem.  I'm doubtful it will be fixed, but here are the following directions:

Make sure windows is up to date

Update motherboard BIOS (Mine were still on 2021 BIOS)

Download AMD Cleanup Utility

Download latest AMD GPU driver

After installing latest motherboard BIOS, use AMD Cleanup Utility which will prompt to boot into safe mode.  Allow it to boot into safe mode and do its thing upon restart.  Then restart after finished.  Install the AMD driver that was downloaded previously and restart.

In the past I used DDU, and obviously haven't upgraded motherboard BIOs.  Hoping the BIOS update and the AMD Cleanup Utility solve the problem.  I'll post another update if I run into the problem again.

0 Likes

Got the issue again today.  All screens black.  No screens turning on during restart.  Eventually got one to turn on when I unplugged the other monitors.  Resolution is screwed up when it does work which tells me its still the driver.  Have to repeat the clean up and install to get the monitors working again.  I know I'll never get a solution to this problem, but still holding out for things to try...

did you ever try a different power supply yet?

ThreeDee PC specs
0 Likes