cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

jb1
Journeyman III

Win 10 update changed to "Windows Basic Driver" - lost dual monitor ability, does not detect 2nd monitor, no roll back

last nights Win 10 update has screwed up my monitors.

ATI Radeon 3000 Graphics with 2 Acer monitors in dual mode

via Task Manager is says "Windows Basic Driver" - not ATI and does not detect 2nd monitor (plus the correct resolution isn't available)

via Device Manager no roll back - is greyed out - and attempted to update both online and on computer but in both cases it reports the best current driver is installed.

came to this AMD site and used their automated driver update feature and it completed by telling me that "components are already installed"... but nothing changed.... am pretty confused at this point and would really like to get my dual monitors back functioning.....

**edit correction: Microsoft Basic Display Driver    (not - Windows Basic Driver....)

0 Likes
3 Replies
elstaci
MVP

Re: Win 10 update changed to "Windows Basic Driver" - lost dual monitor ability, does not detect 2nd monitor, no roll back

I am assuming that you have a Desktop with a HD 3000 series AMD GPU and not an APU. That GPU is not supported anymore by AMD. The last supported driver was in 2013 for Windows 8.0 and below. The download site here: Driver Support for AMD Radeon™ HD 4000, HD 3000, HD 2000 and older Series says to install compatible Windows 8.1 or 10 AMD drivers for your GPU is to let Windows Update download and install it.

I have also read in this Forum from the moderators, that the new Windows 10 v.1709 have basically broken most legacy AMD GPU cards from working correctly.

ray_m
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Win 10 update changed to "Windows Basic Driver" - lost dual monitor ability, does not detect 2nd monitor, no roll back

Please refer to the following discussion on the Microsoft Forums on a potential workaround and fix for the issue: Display problems on some AMD Radeon video cards after installing an - Microsoft Community

jb1
Journeyman III

So - it fixed itself !!

After a couple hours - I began to google around for a fix - and one suggestion was to trigger a Windows update saying that one could specifically upgrade the graphics driver  (I don't ever remember seeing that capability)... but when I initiated the Windows Update screen - it displayed that there were some updates still taking place... 

I get the sense somehow the upgrade didn't complete for some reason and the opening of the Windows Update screen re-started it....but in any case there was a stack of 4 more updates to complete (I don't remember the names of them - one was Java, one was security....) and then lo & behold the monitors went dark for a few seconds and came back to life with all okay.  Resolution is fine and the dual monitors are back.

All I can guess is that the Microsoft Basic Display Driver is some sort of temp process and that for whatever reason I ended up trying to use the PC during this temp phase.....

0 Likes