cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

johan820
Journeyman III

Will there be a fix to the blackscreen issues or should I just return my card?

I bought a 5700XT on black friday and I've been having issues with black screen like many others. I had problems from the start and the latest drivers haven't made any difference. I've tried to do a clean install with my old nvidia card and the problems went away. Went back to the 5700xt and the problems came back so it's without a doubt the GPU. 

My issues are:
-Sometimes the screen doesn't recieve input when booting. This usually requires a hard reboot.
-Sometimes the screen loses input when in desktop mode. This also requires a reset.
-Sometimes the screen loses input a minute or two after starting a game. There is still sound but the screen is completely black. This also requires a hard reboot. I've tries changing the power settings in windows that some people have recommended but this doesn't seem to help. 

I still have 39 days to return the card to my vendor which I will probably do unless there is some acknowledgement from AMD that they are aware of these issues and working on them. There are loads of people posting about similar issues yet there was nothing in the latest patch notes about this. From what I understand, these issues have been occuring ever since the launch of the 5000 series yet nothing has been done to fix it. 

So AMD, are you working on this or should I return my card and go green team instead?

System:
Ryzen 7 3700x
G.skill trident z neo 3600C16
b450 tomahawk max
corsair 750W gold

0 Likes
2 Replies
johnsmith7171
Adept II

I do not think they are working on it. They are busy working on making the drivers and the UI as bad as possible, no user friendly at all. It is hard work. My Nvidia card arrives on monday, can not wait to throw the amd trash out of the window.

(technically its okay, but the drivers they feed to us, and the ui, is just beyond atrocious).

Like, lets jam the UI full of crap that no one cares for, lets promote some crap that no one cares for, its a UI for the driver, not a platform for tracking your stuff and advertisements.

0 Likes
papawolf
Adept II

I need to correct you on something here Johan... You said "since the launch of the 5000 series yet nothing has been done to fix it."...... That's not true at all.........  This exact same issue plagues AMD GPUs going all the way back to the introduction of Radeon, and nothing has been done to fix it!!!! I built my new system last May, and I've had several issues with nothing but my Radeon RX 570 ever since. I have lost literally months of work time (video and audio production) trying to resolve all the problems I have with this GPU.

I had a specific budget when I built this system, and chose, what I thought based on tons of research, the best components for the purpose of the system I could get based on that budget. I've been building systems since I retired my Commodore 64 (yes... I'm a dinosaur LOL) and I have NEVER had so many issues as I have with this one frikin GPU!!!!! I've been resisting RMA because to do that I will be without a GPU, therefore a system for work, for who knows how long until they refund my money so I can get an actual working GPU......

I've already lost months of work due to this, and had turn down lucrative contracts as well, because I KNOW I wouldn't be able to meet the deadlines of the projects because of the time I would be down due to this GPU. I have spent months trying all the tests and troubleshooting advice I have found here, on reddits, on other sites, and even with the help of friends who are actual PC and software engineers and still I am faced with near immediate black screen after starting the system. That's it.... Just turning the damn system on!!!! It starts to flicker for a bit and then BAM black screen, it's now changed to green screen with the 19.12.2 and 19.12.3 releases..... Not sure if the green screen is an improvement over the black screen or not.... Hmmmmm, maybe AMD is mocking now.... Reminding me of the the green I'm losing using their product.....

I have used all the top end debugging and trouble shooting tools there are in trying to resolve the issues I've had with this GPU... I have submitted all the debugging reports to AMD support, only to receive the usual canned cookie cutter responses that everyone receives regarding test your memory, run scandsk, check your PSU, Use DDU to uninstall your drivers and reinstall the new drivers, yadda yadda yadda, yackity schmackity, blah blah blah...... Hell... I even resorted to asking Bill Gates and Steve Jobs (via seance) for help.... Bill ended up with a brain melting migraine, and Steve crawled out of his grave and slapped me, and called me a beeotch for enduring the torture this long.....

I'm done!!!! I am submitting a request for RMA effective immediately... I can't keep doing this crap, especially since AMD has been 100% fully aware of this issue on MANY of their GPUs for YEARS, yet has done little to nothing to resolve it. I apologize for the lengthy rant.... I needed to vent..... But I hope this answers your question about whether or not to RMA your GPU, Johan.....

0 Likes