cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Spladian
Adept I

Will Power Spikes be the downfall of 6800/6900 Series?

When is a 300w card not a 300w card?

When its power draw spikes to almost 900w and trips your PSU!

Apparently, you cannot measure this phenomenon with software sensor based tools like GPU-Z, or HWINFO 64, but it has been measured by the following website:

AMD Radeon RX6900XT显卡功耗分析 – FCPOWERUP极电魔方

"So, What? I have a 1200w power-supply," some of you might be saying. "It's Platinum Rated!"

As it has been explained to me from others experiencing the same issue, that these power spikes can drop the voltage load to levels deemed outside the safe zone of your PSU. A good PSU has both over-volt protection, and under-volt protection (scroll down on this product page for example : https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=220-P2-1200-X1) and can activate it's safety measures when measuring a voltage outside the designated range. 

That could manifest in such things as Kernal Power  Event-ID 41 errors in Event Viewer, Your shiny new card running benchmarks well, but crashing in games, or leave you at a loss why a seemingly mild overclock with all parameters not even touching the limits imposed in the Adrenaline software constantly crashes.

I ask AMD to look at this issue, and at the very least provide some sort of comment (e.g. we are looking into it, this has been debunked.. etc.)

The link in Chinese above was provided to an individual from the vendor he bought his PSU from that will be honoring an RMA on his new PSU due to constant GPU crashes on his new 6900xt. That means the work of the website-author has been acknowledged at least on some level of the industry.

In my specific example, my card will not remain stable in games over 270w. At 270w, voltage is around 1031v, temperature is 78c 95c.

Watercooling can bring down the temperature, but if the power spikes cannot be addressed, there is no reason to water-cool, and there is no reason to pay a premium for an after-market card (e.g. power color red devil with 3 8 pin connectors.)

For those of you having random crashes and scratching your heads as to what the issue is, this could be it. Hopefully it can be acknowledged and fixed with a driver or bios update in the future, as these are beastly cards and amazing performers when they are working. 

12 Replies
cloudcard
Adept II

I just bought a Asrock Phantom Gaming 6800 and am I'm having these issues. Upgraded from a 750W to an 850W 80Plus Gold Seasonsonic Focus and I'm still having those issues. Nothing software related has worked.

I really hope they solve this soon because even if I were to return this card god knows when I might be able to buy another one.

@cloudcard I got an Asrock Phantom Gaming 6800 currently in service, their first reports are that the card is running fine at 24hs OC Furmark (thats what the dealership I bought it from stated), but its crashing in 2-3 test systems I tried it on. I tried it on three 750w  psus so far, still the same problems

What are your specs? I really feel like there's some hardware compatibility issue going on with these cards

0 Likes

@MartinSd

It's running on Aida 64 no problem, but it's in the games that's it's crashing so hopefully they'll test that on their side too.

Here is a PC Partpicker of my exact build:
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/cloudpc/saved/GDBqRB

There is a vBIOs and Driver update which I'll try today. But that's three 6800 Phantom Gamings in this thread where we're having the same issue which isn't looking good.

https://www.asrock.com/Graphics-Card/AMD/Radeon%20RX%206800%20Phantom%20Gaming%20D%2016G%20OC/index....

I've seen most issues happening on Corsair/HyperX ram users, or MSI motherboards

Not calling them suspicious or anything but there's way too many people with rigs that contain either one of the two

Lemme know how it goes with the vBios, thanks!

0 Likes

No luck ont the vBios. Tried the same steps with DDU etc with this driver and vBIOS and nothing.

That MSI/HyperX combo might be a thing, I have both. Both they're also incredibly common so I don't know. So frustrated...

0 Likes

Unfortunate to hear that

Some are saying voltages motherboard could be related as well, but at this point its just speculating A/B/C and so on|

Edit: out of the blue idea, have you tried separating the PCI-e cables to different slots in the PSU? Could be a rail issue

0 Likes

The OP link is to a copy of the original post, to fully understand it you also need to read the link in 2nd paragraph, but find the billibilli original version. Happy hunting.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

Great! I have MSI b450 board.. But gskill memory 

NoNe
0 Likes

I guess that is why AMD minimum recommended PSU wattage for the RX6900XT is 850 Watts to account for those high wattage pulses.

From the article link which I translated into English recommends the following:

Error and omission correction: In the 6800XT/6800 power consumption test chart, the average maximum power consumption of the 6800XT is 354W, which is actually the average maximum power consumption of +15% PowerLimit. In order to deal with the feature that the NV built-in driver cannot be overclocked, the default non-unlock power consumption is unified this time Status data.

2. The peak power consumption of 6900XT is 810W/80μs when the power consumption limit is not unlocked , and the average maximum power consumption is 307W. After unlocking, the peak power consumption is 883W/90μs and the average maximum power consumption is 357W. Does not exceed PCIE electrical specifications.

3. In the test, it can be seen that the power consumption of the 6900XT platform is close to 700W. After unlocking the PowerLimit, the peak value can run close to 900W. For a 750W power supply, 120% of the rated power is required to meet the 900W demand of the graphics card.

The above has not considered the power consumption of the CPU and other accessories. With a mid-to-high-end CPU, the power consumption is properly 1000W, and with a high-end CPU, the power consumption is often close to 1200W. Therefore, it is recommended to start with 6900XT with a power supply of 850W. For overclocking and using high-end CPUs, please increase your power budget. It is better to choose a power supply of 1000W and above . After all, you have reached the flagship graphics card. For performance, there are fewer power consumption restrictions.

4. This generation of 7nm and 8nm process showdowns. Both the duration and amplitude of peak power consumption of A card are lower than that of N card. N card users suggest to increase the budget for power supply and heat dissipation.

5. In the case of non-public graphics cards, if the non-public version is overclocked or the power supply has shrunk, you need to increase the power budget.

6. Update the power supply recommendation table 1.6. It is recommended but not mandatory. Some collocations will take time to verify. The choice of actual graphics card requires comprehensive performance, power consumption, price, supply and other factors. This article only discusses power consumption and power requirements.

Screenshot 2021-02-02 160152.png

Screenshot 2021-02-02 160152.png

NOTE: I have no way of knowing how accurate or official this foreign made review of Power Consumption is.

I image only a AMD Engineer will be able to answer if the above article is close to being accurate.

Those power pulses mentioned in the article could be a possible reason why so many Users with the latest AMD GPU cards, RX5000 and 6000 series are having unexpected crashes or their PCs shutting down without any reasons due to the pulses overpowering the User's PSU capabilities.

Not sure if a driver fix will solve those pulses since it seems to be hardware built related.

Thanks for the article and the translation. Unfortunately my 2700x and 850W powersupply don't come close to that. And yet here I am with whole system shutdowns when I enter into games or attempt to stream.

Its so frustrating because when it behaves it's a great card but I can't even play games with Discord opening in the background reliably right now.

Is there even any work around out there at the moment?

0 Likes

RMA your graphics card. Or return it if possible. It should have been done as soon as you noticed problems.