Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

eispfogel
Adept I

Why cripple DirectX 9 Support?

Hi there.

I use several MiniPCs from different Manufacturers like an Minisforum UM690 with AMD 6900HX and 680M iGPU.

The devices work fine, but i found out, that i can't use Adrenalin to force game options like Vsync, or MSAA.
But why? Why drop support for older games? Those systems are fast, but not quite fast enough to enjoy the latest games in all their graphical glory. Instead i use those devices as way back machines/Retro Machines. They are fast enough for that, but without driver support i can't use those games too.

Dead Space 1 for example. I need to force Vsync via the driver, or otherwise im stuck at 30FPS(when using the broken ingame vsync), or have tearing.
Or i have to use external tools like BorderlessGaming, but that impacts the performance so much, that the game stutters.

I don't have this problem with NVIDIA based machines. Even an old Asus EEE Box 1012 with NVIDIA Ion outclasses AMD RDNA machines because of that(for older games of course).

I learned that the reason is, that AMD dropped support for DX9 and only supports DX10-12.

Please AMD - those systems are very good devices t o play older games - please don't drop support for older DirectX Versions.

0 Likes
2 Replies

PCGamingWiki may have some fix options for old titles, Flawlesswidescreen is another that i also use on some titles.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, NM790 2TB, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes
eispfogel
Adept I

BorderlessGaming and FlawlessWidescreen do not fix the missing driver settings.

To use Dead Space 1 as an example again:

The game needs Vsync set via driver and needs to run at 60Hz, or otherwise the game breaks.

I can use vsync with Borderlessgaming but i can't limit fps to 60. For that i need Windows to set to 60Hz and vsync will limit to 60 FPS.

But for some reason this is so demanding, that the game stutters constantly.

I also can't use Super Resolution, Radeon Chill, MSAA and Anisotropic Filtering options for DX9 and older games since the driver does not support that.

So i still need driver support for older DirectX Titles. This is where those MiniPCs shine, but not when using AMD since they dropped Support for that.

0 Likes