cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

angryamduser
Journeyman III

Where are the 32 bit Windows 7 drivers for B450 chipset?

Gigabyte B450M DS3H motherboard with AMD Ryzen 5 2600 CPU. I loaded Windows 7 32 bit, which runs fine, but I can't find the drivers for your AMD chipset. I get the sinking feeling that AMD stopped supporting 32 bit and that's a BIG problem because there ARE users out there who can't run older software on 64 bit systems. Please advise....

0 Likes
26 Replies

Your sinking feeling is correct. AMD stop supporting Windows x32 bit OS and moved it to "Legacy" mode. Another words AMD considers 32 bit OS obsolete now.

Here is AMD explaining about x32 bit being moved to legacy: https://news.thewindowsclub.com/amd-to-end-support-for-32-bit-video-drivers-93623/

AMD to stop support for 32-bit video drivers

The latest driver to include 32-bit support is version 18.9.3, released late last month by AMD. It included support for Assassin’s Creed Odyssey and Forza Horizon and fixed two stability and usability issues.

The company mentioned,

AMD Radeon Software support for x32-bit Windows operating systems have been moved to a legacy support mode–we are not planning to support x32-bit Windows operating systems in future driver releases. This change enables AMD to dedicate valuable engineering resources to developing new features and enhancements for graphic s products based on the latest x64-bit Windows-based operating systems. Users can continue to use existing x32-bit drivers if they so choose. However, for those who are passionate about gaming and want to continue receiving the best of Radeon Software features and performance, we recommend they consider upgrading to a x64-bit Windows operating system.

However, AMD may still patch critical issues that are discovered in the near future. Whether that means critical security issues, stability issues, or issues with individual games is yet to be clarified.

How does AMD ending support for 32-bit Windows affects users

As per Steam’s Hardware Survey, the user base for 32-bit Windows version has plummeted to 2% across Windows XP, 7, 8, 8.1 and 10, hence this news is unlikely to create a massive concern among Windows users. The best strategy for users who are still hanging to 32-bit is to switch to 64-bit before experiencing security and compatibility issues.

Over the last few years, device and game vendors have been shifting their attention solely to 64-bit OS.  Even Apple ended 32-bit support for iOS last year.

AMD thus joins NVIDIA, in ending their support for 32-bit versions of Windows OS.

Your best bet is to see if your motherboard's Support download page has 32 bit CHIP Set drivers. Otherwise you are out of luck and would need to upgrade to x64 OS to get continued support in drivers.

Went to Gigabyte Support for your Motherboard. It has AMD CHIPSET for Windows x64 but not for Windows x32. B450M DS3H (rev. 1.0) | Motherboard - GIGABYTE Global

Your CPU supports x64 Windows. Why don't you just upgrade to Windows 7 x64. It will run on less than 4 gigabyte of RAM Memory. Besides, Microsoft will be ending extended support for Windows 7 since January 14, 2020: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet

Windows 8.1 and 7

Prior releases of the Windows operating system are governed by the Fixed Lifecycle Policy. This policy comprises two phases: mainstream support and extended support. See Microsoft Business, Developer and Desktop Operating Systems Policy for more details.

Client operating systemsEnd of mainstream supportEnd of extended support
Windows 8.1January 9, 2018January 10, 2023
Windows 7, service pack 1*January 13, 2015January 14, 2020
* Support for Windows 7 RTM without service packs ended on April 9, 2013. Be sure to install Windows 7 Service Pack 1 to continue to receive support and updates.

Prior versions of Windows, including Windows 7 and Windows 8.1, have limited support when running on new processors and chipsets from manufacturers like Intel, AMD, NVidia, and Qualcomm. For more information, see Microsoft Lifecycle Policy. A device may not be able to run prior versions of Windows if the device hardware is incompatible, lacks current drivers, or is otherwise outside the original equipment manufacturer’s (OEM) support period.

I understand (but don't agree with) their reasoning, once again they are choosing to end support on a still supported operating system. Not to mention I'm quite sure they claimed that support when the person bought the product. IMO, I think they should suck it up and continue the support they promised on the box until that product life cycle is over. This concentrating on new features and enhancements is a cop-out as almost everything new in the past couple of years is what has caused the lions share of issues in the drivers since Wattman came out. They need to concentrate on making drivers that work as intended, and as promised as listed on the retail box. When they have that down, then by all means, innovate to their hearts content.

The other thing that really irks me about this comment above is that is that the reasoning is that they are concentrating on the gamer. Then in other recent press releases they are looking at it a whole not the gamer. Which is it AMD?  Realistically though gamers have to be the smallest part of their purchasers at this point. So really most users just want stable drivers, that are updated to work with the evolving standards in WIndows. They want their browser and video playback and multi monitor to work as intended. I don't see how that could be that hard to keep that part of the 32 bit drivers updated and maybe just not continue any new game support as most new games are 64 bit now anyway. That would seem to me to be the better way to go as you are not breaking a commitment to your customers.

The way they are going they need to put big disclaimers on their boxes saying BUYER BE WARE WE WILL DISCONTINUE SUPPORT WHENEVER WE FEEL LIKE IT.

Before the naysayers comment saying you have to end support sometime. I already get that. What I am saying is you can go to best buy or micro center right now and buy a current generation card that says it has support get it home and find out it does not. That is wrong in my book.

0 Likes

Doesn't 32 bit software run on x64 bit Windows OS?

On my computer I have many 32 bit software that runs just fine on my x64 Bit Windows OS. I believe the Windows folder "Program Files (86)" are all 32 bit software. Most of my software is 32 bit.

Now as far as Hardware is concern that is different since you do need 32 bit drivers that won't work on a x64 bit Windows OS. In that case the person is out of luck.

You are correct, If the retail box indicate some hardware will work on a then supported Windows version and then you find out it won't because OS is not compatible, I would be really annoyed. Now I have to take and exchange the product or get my money back. But if the OS was made incompatible after a few months then you might not be able to exchange it or get your money back from the retailer. Many Retailers have like a 30 day return policy.

Actually it is Microsoft that starts everything by announcing that certain hardware is not compatible anymore with updated Windows versions. Therefore Manufacturers and Software companies stop making products for older versions of Windows. But unfortunately, all the products made and shipped to Retailers before the announcement are now being sold.

So I guess it is Buyer's Beware and to make a thorough research before buying any hardware in the future.

0 Likes

I don't know of a single time ever where Microsoft has dictated that any hardware is not compatible anymore, unless maybe it was their hardware they decided to not support like old, mice, keyboards, cams, gaming devices, and Zune etc. They only publish a compatibility list, they didn't decide to axe hardware, the oem informed them, they would not be developing new drivers. If the oem gives in turn the source code to the drivers MS has a tremendous record of taking drivers for abandoned hardware and getting those drivers working under new versions of Windows. So quite the contrary IMHO. It has always been the responsibility of the hardware maker to be compatible with an OS. No hardware you have has ever had became incompatible because of Microsoft, only because your hardwares maker decided not to update or create new drivers for it. The exception to that would be hardware that just can't run new instruction sets in hardware. That is not on Microsoft.

Yes 32 bit apps run in 64 bit Windows. Not sure what that has to do with anything? If you are running Windows 7 32 or bit still supported and now have to go to Windows 10 64 bit to now use your AMD device moving forward that may not be choice you wanted, plus you will have to pay for it. Not to mention any number of other pieces of hardware and possibly software that may not be compatible. This could be very costly for a business having to replace proprietary software and hardware before planned budgeting just because AMD didn't honor their word. The better option would be to just buy some other companies cards that still support all these. To my knowledge the Green Team does. In retrospect of the statements, actions and unresponsiveness that AMD has made and shown in the past 2 years it's almost like they are intentionally trying to erode their user base.

0 Likes

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006105/processors.html

Everyone is moving/has moved to 64bit only, link is for win10, but search through various models, see what 32bit there is on other OS.

You can also find  Nv article on dropping/dropped it.

Many motherboard makers are also only listing 64bit support on newer boards(intel/amd).

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

That's fine, your'e missing the point. If you buy something new and it doesn't claim support that's completely different. We are talking about existing product that claimed support.

0 Likes

Got a link to that official 32bit support statement ?

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..

I'd like to see that too.. I believe Black_Zion had a experience similar to this way back

How To Get Ryzen Working on Windows 7 x64

0 Likes

I used Windows 7 x64, not x86.

0 Likes

Goodplay it is listed on every retail Radeon graphics card product box sold. Pick one of your choice. You seem to be looking for an exception in all to negate those the fact that many made a purchase decision base on information on a box. Yes ryzen never claimed support, did I say they did?  I have no expectaion of them supporting it in 32 bit nor did I ever say they should. Not sure why you can't grasp what I'm saying is the RADEON GRAPHICS CARDS SOLD AND ARE STILL SOLD AND HAVE THE THE SUPPORT CLAIM RIGHT ON THE BOX ON CURRENT GENERATION PRODUCTS.  The blurb above that elstaci first wrote read verbatim "AMD to stop support for 32-bit video drivers"

My comments were aimed at VIDEO DRIVERS, on graphics cards, not cpu and motherboards that never claimed support. I'm sorry if what I said was somehow unclear. Hope I'm clear now.

0 Likes

Topic is about cpu/motherboard support.

The only option for OP may be to run the 32bit OS as a VM(but I have no experience with it).

So I'm done.

0 Likes

Yes I do, right on the AMD site, in case they change it down the line I am also cutting and pasting from that page

OS Support

Windows 10 - 64-Bit Edition

Windows 7 - 32-Bit Edition

Windows 7 - 64-Bit Edition

Ubuntu x86 64-Bit

Linux x86_64

Radeon™ RX 580 Gaming Graphics Card | AMD

Not to mention I found it as claimed support for Windows 7 and 10 on numerous sites selling the cards on-line too.

Again my only gripe is that is you sell the card, claiming support, you should support that card until support ends for that OS. Pretty simple concept if you ask me. You are entitled to defend AMD in any way you choose. It isn't personal against AMD for me, I would point this out if ANY company did this. We are living in a day and age where you word means nothing and companies don't stand behind their products. That's my opinion, and you are certainly entitled to yours too. The above information above however IS FACT NOT OPINION.

My comment was about cpu OS support https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-5-2600

The actual subject of the thread.

Wasn't disputing graphic card specs.

0 Likes

Then complain to elstaci that he included a response to the OP that talked about video drivers. I wasn't talking ryzen why would I, it was never supported. I have no problem in the least that they didn't make it backwards compatible.  I responded to him, not the OP. I never made a single comment about Ryzen! NOT ONE. I only talked about graphic cards that are cut off now that did claim support. How much clearer does this need to be? I spelled this all out in my first post and now 3 other times.

0 Likes

Your right, it was my mistake to post the video driver. But it still says that AMD stopped supporting 32 bit Windows 7 which is why I posted it. kingfish​ found a better articles explaining that AMD will not support Windows 7 32 bit OS anymore.

I would believe if a company stops supporting hardware on a particular Windows version that they also would include all hardware that works on the same non-supported Windows version. Unless they make an exception on a particular hardware.

0 Likes

I personally agree with that with the same hardware type, apples and apples. There is absolutely no reason they have to only have one unified driver. I would bet as I already stated above, that most would be happy if AMD just made sure that their drivers work at a hardware level as OS updates are released. They obviously can't release new gaming driver optimizations for 64 bit games, and most games have gone their. I do think that AMD owes though a minimal level of support for the card until that OS they claimed to support is no longer supported. They could easily keep the current driver and make minimal changes to keep it OS compatible. They just don't want to.

0 Likes

"I don't know of a single time ever where Microsoft has dictated that any hardware is not compatible anymore, unless maybe it was their hardware they decided to not support like old, mice, keyboards, cams, gaming devices, and Zune etc."

Microsoft has made the "Hardware" certain Ryzen and Intel CPUS not supported anymore in Windows 7. So it isn't only Microsoft Hardware that is not made compatible.

The link I gave does mention Video drivers not supported by x32 drivers but at the end of the statement it mentions AMD is not supporting x32 in general. "AMD thus joins NVIDIA, in ending their support for 32-bit versions of Windows OS."

Yes, you are correct that it is manufacturers/OEM responsibility to make their hardware compatible with OS. But if the OS is not supported anymore by Microsoft there is no reason to continue support for the hardware in the long run. Thus Microsoft does determine what hardware is to be supported and which are not either directly or indirectly.

elstaci,

Your defending and taking a stance on something I never even said. I'm sorry but your are completely missing the point in what I am saying. I'm not talking about new hardware like RYZEN! Of course the didn't support it, didn't ever say they did or should. I'm talking about old hardware moving forward that claimed support not new hardware regressing backwards. Plus once again, I'm talking about the video driver part, corresponding to the graphic cards they cut off that DID CLAIM support and they have now cut off but the OS IS STILL SUPPORTED BY MICROSOFT. I honestly don't know how much clearer I can possibly be.

I even said before and was referring to CPU and MB support "The exception to that would be hardware that just can't run new instruction sets in hardware."

0 Likes

Actually, I do understand what you are saying.

Tell me if I am wrong.

I go to a retail store or E-tail Online store. I purchase a GPU card that is advertised as saying that it is compatible with Windows 7 x 32 bit OS. When I receive the GPU, the box indicates that it is compatible with Windows 7 32 bit. Then I go online to install the latest AMD GPU drivers and find out that they only have GPU drivers for Windows 7  64 bit. Then I learn that AMD has stopped supporting Windows 7 32 bit OSes.

So I have to either upgrade to Windows 7 64 bit to get drivers or return the GPU card as being not compatible.

0 Likes

Yup so great your correct. But your response before wasn't that, it was about newer Ryzen stuff I wasn't talking about. I was responding to your post about Video Drivers and the card support they cut off.

0 Likes

The whole point I was making was that AMD had stopped supporting Windows 7 32 bit Operating System. Thus there wouldn't be any support for his Ryzen CPU.

Plus Microsoft did make certain Ryzen and Intel CPUs incompatible with Windows 7 x32/x64 bit version.

That link happened to be specifically about AMD GPU drivers but it also mentioned in general that AMD stopped support for that Windows version. The link was posted as proof to the OP that his Ryzen CPU is not support anymore in that particular Windows because AMD stopped supporting it.

I never mentioned anything to the OP about his GPU driver. I just mentioned that Windows 7 x32 bit is not supported anymore by AMD.

The only reason why I replied is because you made an incorrect, IMHO, statement that Microsoft doesn't make hardware incompatible with Windows unless it was a Microsoft made hardware.

EDIT: No offense meant.

No offense take I never said you did, the other guy did, I was only pointing out that I was commenting on the information you posted and how it affects Video Cards. I never mentioned Ryzen just as you never mentioned my point. It just seemed some were trying to make what I said into something that wasn't said or intended. Then when I point that out it's well that wasn't the OP's point. Correct, I didn't respond to the OP, I responded to you. And yes I think companies should honor their commitments. All companies not just AMD. If Nvidia is not still offering 32 bit support too, then IMHO they are wrong.

This is from a current Nvidia 1080 card on newegg right now:

Operating Systems Supported
Windows 10 32/64bit, Windows 8 32/64bit, Windows 7 32/64bit
0 Likes

In fact if you see the link I made to the website. They still claim support right now on their website even though the drivers don't support it.

0 Likes

Okay so I'm realizing you are kinda still missing the point. It's not just someone who bought a card today. This is for the guy that made the investment today, last year or whenever. If that card claims support and now doesn't you can't return a 3 year old card. I kinda felt like that was what you were saying. Plus the just upgrade OS part. That costs more money too. Why should you have too? But I already explained that too above.

0 Likes

Okay, I thought you were talking about GPU cards being sold since AMD stopped supporting Windows 7 x 32 bit version.

In a way they are not making a fraudulent statement. The AMD GPU cards are compatible with Windows 7 x32 bit. But to find drivers they need to download older versions that still support Windows 7 32  bit. The manufacturer's should put a disclaimer warning about finding compatible drivers. Now if the box says that a certain Ryzen or Intel CPU or other hardware are compatible with a certain Windows Version and it is known and well publicized that it isn't, then I would consider that as fraudulent advertising. The Retailer should remove those product from their lineup until it is advertised correctly.

As for three year old Hardware, you know as well as I do, that in three years hardware can and will be obsolete without any future support. That is a risk the Buyers are taking when buying computer or electronic hardware. Some hardware will be supported for many years while others become obsolete almost as soon as they come out due to changing technology.

0 Likes