cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

paulri
Adept I

What software do I uninstall (error message)?

I have a new laptop with AMD with a Ryzen 5 5000U chip and Radeon graphics. Tonight my display blacked out for a second or two twice in rapid succession, so I decided to update my graphics driver. I went to the OEM site and installed a new driver. After opening up a link to AMD Radeon Software from my start menu, I saw the notification bell in the upper right corner give me an error message, that said the following:

Error

Radeon Software detected a duplicate version of Radeon Software that is installed on your system which is not compatible with your current graphics driver version. It is suggested that you uninstall, upgrade or remove any other versions of Radeon Software currently installed on this system that may still be installed.

Alright, I went into the Control Panel (running Windows 11) and only saw two AMD entries, AMD Chipset Software and AMD Software. I'm not sure what to uninstall.

0 Likes
1 Solution

I would try first DDU. You can download the latest version from here: Wagnardsoft DDU Download 

You can use AMD Cleanup Tool if you want. I prefer DDU thought. They both do a similar job.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies

Download and run with the internet disconnected DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) and delete the AMD installation folder at C:\AMD.

Once DDU finishes removing all traces of your AMD Graphics driver, run your OEM AMD Driver package and see if it install without any errors.

Will do.

Before I install DDU and run it, I do have a couple of questions.

(1) I did go to the AMD support page, and didn't see DDU listed, but did see an AMD Cleanup utility: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/gpu-601.  Is that just as good, or did you want me to only run DDU?

(2) If you want me to use DDU in particular, the latest link I saw was Jan 2019: https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/display-driver-uninstaller-ddu-v18-0-0-7-released/td-p...

Is this the version I should use?

0 Likes

I would try first DDU. You can download the latest version from here: Wagnardsoft DDU Download 

You can use AMD Cleanup Tool if you want. I prefer DDU thought. They both do a similar job.

0 Likes

OK, I just went with AMD native tool and it did the work. I now just have the OEM software for my ADM radeon driver. I'll just stick to going to the OEM page for drivers.

Thanks for the recommendation!