cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Weird colors in game.

I just acquired an XFX 7900 XT, my biggest issue is that right now I love how everything looks, it's great, fantastic however I've noticed for my games, specifically Dead Space, the following

Flickering shadows depending on the viewing angle, or completely nonexistent shadows when there should be.

Out of place colors, I.E. bright green, or a bright purple when there are no possible light sources that emit these colors in the area

These are my only issues and I have no idea how to fix them.

My current set up is as follows: 64 gigs of RAM, Ryzen 9 5900x, XFX 7900 XT and NVMe SSD's

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated as I'm really loving and enjoying the color I'm getting from this GPU

1 Solution
atmosphere
Challenger

The issue you describe point at driver/game bugs.. you could test if resetting or creating a game profile in adrenaline works. Also test with disabled: vsync, freesync & adaptive sync. If no improvement leave them off and change settings in-game. Turn down TAA/SSAA, shadow quality or if (ambient) occlussion settings. If that seems like a lot of work, switch to low, and move up in quality preset until it 'bugs' again. 

I have seen quite a few cases, where adjusting shadowsize, AA mode or resolution fixed the issue.. if so its a bug in game-specific optimisations or the game itself, and setting(s) related.  So turn up reso at lowered quality, and add more eyecandy. When you detect issues lower the last setting and move to the next option.

Next up: sliders (sharpening, color/gamma, scaling and such .. leave them at default)

Repeat for all options, and remeber it a quality test, FPS does not matter as long as you have a stable image quality. Don't use NV or AMD specifics like (fidelityFX) COCOA while testing, but do use the in game (as some of those options are really amazing in both quality&performance)

Check driver release notes for known issues with your games,.. it could get fixed in a newer driver or a previous version might not have the issue..

For all tests (and firmware-/bios-updates): no OC on anything! Even if the OC is solid, weird timing issues could manifest. 

Its some work, but for me usually it helps me find the issue and work around it.. 

Happy hunting

View solution in original post

39 Replies
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

Have you tried using DDU to uninstall drivers and reinstall them from the AMD site?

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
0 Likes

I actually used DDU to switch over from Nvidia, these are completely fresh installs of the drivers. I tweaked some coloration settings and that was it. I can try a fresh install and see how it goes

0 Likes

Go ahead and try it just to humor me and we'll see what can be done if the issue persists.

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
0 Likes

Reinstalling drivers now and then I'll let you know how it goes.

0 Likes

It's kinda better, I'm still getting weird occasional patches of purple pixels and odd lights. Overall I'm not entirely happy with how it's going because for a GPU as powerful as this one is in comparison to the equivalent Nvidia counterpart, I feel like Nvidia wouldn't have these problems. Also I can't upload the photo because it's too big but there's weird shadow issues where a place that's supposed to be completely bathed in light has odd shaped shadows with patches of light.

0 Likes
atmosphere
Challenger

The issue you describe point at driver/game bugs.. you could test if resetting or creating a game profile in adrenaline works. Also test with disabled: vsync, freesync & adaptive sync. If no improvement leave them off and change settings in-game. Turn down TAA/SSAA, shadow quality or if (ambient) occlussion settings. If that seems like a lot of work, switch to low, and move up in quality preset until it 'bugs' again. 

I have seen quite a few cases, where adjusting shadowsize, AA mode or resolution fixed the issue.. if so its a bug in game-specific optimisations or the game itself, and setting(s) related.  So turn up reso at lowered quality, and add more eyecandy. When you detect issues lower the last setting and move to the next option.

Next up: sliders (sharpening, color/gamma, scaling and such .. leave them at default)

Repeat for all options, and remeber it a quality test, FPS does not matter as long as you have a stable image quality. Don't use NV or AMD specifics like (fidelityFX) COCOA while testing, but do use the in game (as some of those options are really amazing in both quality&performance)

Check driver release notes for known issues with your games,.. it could get fixed in a newer driver or a previous version might not have the issue..

For all tests (and firmware-/bios-updates): no OC on anything! Even if the OC is solid, weird timing issues could manifest. 

Its some work, but for me usually it helps me find the issue and work around it.. 

Happy hunting

So I followed your advice and after turning everything to High instead of Ultra did the trick, no more wonky issues. I don't need Ultra because the game still looks amazing. I'm gonna tweak the video settings like contrast, and saturation next and make another post if anything goes wrong.

What do you think about this? i have been experiencing visual bugs in some games when antialiasing is off or low, like a "grid" effect that overlaps on some textures especially shadows. First i noticed it in GTA 5 and I thought it was a game issue, but then the same problem has appeared in other games too like Atomic Heart, this glitch it is especially noticeable in the new Atomic Heart.

comparison video with antialiasing off and on:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g_4ZtcQ9wY&ab_channel=MementoMori

I noticed that this visual glitch tends to affect mainly shadows textures in games, it seems to be related to shaders and antialiasing/resolution, as you can see in the video, the problem seems to be mostly corrected by enabling high TAA but in GTA 5 you also had to increase the resolution scale to fix this.

0 Likes

Hmm, nice description for the Error. But YouTube compression also doesnt help;) 

Still this issue looks like an shader which is executed after the texture/material is tranformed on the model. Why: the shading appears to be executed without corrected mappings for that viewport/camera..

But it could also just be a bug with alphablending though usually that is because of using AA. 

I do tend to go game&driver bug, but as you also mentioned other games, i would report it to AMD as well. 

Second thought, please do report it to AMD. It could just be that on lower AA settings there is a bug with alphablending

Please do note: these are guestimates based on available info. These might not be accurate, but lol.. if any dev could let me know?! grin)

0 Likes
RoyalMcPoyle
Journeyman III

I just recently upgraded to a Powercolor Red Devil 7900 XTX and I'm having the exact same issues in the Dead Space Remake. I'll post back here if anything I try fixes it. I notice it's pretty random and sometimes if I leave a room and come back the green/purple goes away.

0 Likes

I just really enjoy the idea that it works better and it really does but Dead Space is one of my favorite games and one I intend on playing for quite a while so for all the issues present I would hope/imagine that such a powerful GPU would do the trick. I don't really play many games besides Dead Space, Modded Minecraft and a few others. My 3080 ti never had these issues and ran very well, I planned on giving it to my wife but since the GPU I got is so buggy on settings that an older GPU handled with extreme ease I just can't see myself staying with AMD. When a GPU comes out or a game releases, I would expect one or both optimized for the other, ya know? I gave it an honest shot and I'm thankful to everyone that helped. Maybe in the future I'll switch over but for now I'll stick with Nvidia.

For this issue if you could report it using the AMD Bug Report tool in the Adrenalin Software that would be awesome. I have yet to come across issues yet but reporting them does help and gets the information where it needs to go, so people on the team can fix it. 

Sorry to hear about the issues you are having. I can't be of much help in the RX 7900 series as I am still on the RX 6000 series. I just know some basic troubleshooting steps but I don't know any information specific to your hardware just yet. This is a community forum though so if you end up keeping the card keep in mind this forum is mostly comprised of people with various AMD pieces of hardware working together to find fixes. 

0 Likes

Ya know I actually just decided to keep the card because I'm not being entirely rational, the card came out literally a couple months ago. To assume EVERY game is going to be in perfect working condition upon it's release is just kinda meh tbh. Yeah I like ultra settings but it's still a powerful card nonetheless and I spent money on it. I've still got a couple weeks to return it so I might as well suck it up and give it a shot, the worst that happens? I wind up keeping and reselling it at a slightly lower price.

0 Likes

Actually I have a solid question, would anyone be willing to chat over discord about this in a VC? I have several questions about AMD products in general and I feel like this is the place to ask for verbal tech support since I'm deciding to stick with it. I may as well make the most of it and try to gain a few friends in the process.

0 Likes

You could search RX 7900XT and find other people with issues and maybe DM them. 

0 Likes

They have a build-forum.. that could be a spot. But let me lookup a Post by one of the mods  (below)

Also not all is sunshine, all roads have some stormy clouds.. every brand you pick has its issues, and what matters most is the way its dealt with.

Also ultra sometimes is specificly tailored for one of the brands.. report the issue and keep an eye on the release notes. 

Btw you could turn up some settings and see if it starts acting up or not .. 

(* link: Where should you publish a post? )

0 Likes
RoyalMcPoyle
Journeyman III

After playing around with the settings the only thing I found to get rid of the weird lighting was to turn the Reflection Quality to low. 

xela38
Adept I

I have the same issue so is not solved for me and I tried without any overclock. Red Devil 7900 XTX

0 Likes

Then its most likely another issue.

Can you describe what you see? And did you try with low settings at a lower res?

0 Likes
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

Full specs on PC could possibly help. Did you report the bug in the bug report tool in Adrenaline, because that helps the driver team a lot.

0 Likes
xela38
Adept I

Is the same issue like OP mentioned  "Out of place colors, I.E. bright green, or a bright purple " . I didn't change settings (everything is max out at 1440p).

Ryzen 9 7950X3D

PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 XTX Red Devil

GIGABYTE X670E AORUS MASTER - bios version F9c

G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB 32GB DDR5 6000MHz EXPO enabled

Adrenalin 23.2.1/23.2.2

SAM enabled

Resolution - 2560x1440

Upscaling - OFF

Windows 10 22H2

0 Likes

Same issue on my reference 7900XT with latest drivers (clean install after DDU). I don't overclock either.
specs:
i7 9700K
Z390 D bios ver. 3.1
Gskill Aegis 3000 2x16
Windows 11 pro 10.0.22 Build 22000

*will report in Adrenaline too

0 Likes
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

@xela38 @Vegazord is the issue present in other games?

0 Likes

Not that i noticed. And it's only the colored patches on the surfaces.
It does it with any reflections setting above "Low". I know it's not a limitation issues because it didn't do that with everything on "Ultra" on a 2080super.
I would like to know in which other games OP has this color patches bug.
Edit: It's the reflections setting that's affected

cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

There could be more than one cause for this. It could be that the game is not well optimized for the RX 7000 series yet on the developer side, it could be a problem caused by the drivers as well. Since it is exclusive to this game I would think it is on the game developer side. As a community member I am not able to do much more than suggest to use DDU or AMD Cleanup Utility to remove any GPU drivers and reinstall them. Provided you did this and it did not help, the best option would be to report the issue to the developers, and the driver team via Adrenaline. Sorry I can't personally be of much help as I stated in another post I am still on an RX 6800 XT, and haven't had the opportunity to upgrade.

Yeah i already did a DDU cleanup and i made a report in Adrenaline. Will notify EA.

Reporting bugs is always a thumbs up.

Though, am i mistaken you said that the issue was still there with low settings? 

And if only one or a couples of games its often a driver of game-engine issue. But for the small posibility, did you check the games installation? I've had insstances where the game was installed with a corrupted texture and that a game modifies meshes/textures/shades based on the GPU available.

TLDR: game issue fixed after reinstalled (and clearing all folders execpt saves)

Dead Space_2023_03_04_10_08_33_860.png
Here's a screenshot, the same i forwarded to EA support forums.
I did a verification of the files via Steam and they are not corrupted.
It doesn't do it on "low" reflections settings and as you can see it's more a lighting issue than anything else.
I've seen the same glitch on other playthroughs of this game on Youtube and it only seems to be present on AMD cards.
I sadly can't verify other games of the Frostbite Engine because it's the only one i have that's recent.

As the low setting is ok, its a issue between game&driver. Maybe a issue with a certain shader-program which is used above low-setting. This could be game- or driver-related. 

But i think you just narrowed the issue down quite a good bit.. i think that info could be usefull for the dev-team. 

Maybe report the game version if possible so it can be linked to an frostbite-version

0 Likes

I've heard a youtuber talk about shader issues with modded Minecraft that he didn't have with other GPUs so i guess it could be a driver-side shader bug.
I've posted an other pic of a different game from the same engine(Frostbite) in this thread having the same bug as Dead Space. It should be two posts below.

0 Likes
Vegazord
Adept I

Did you notice the bright color patches in other games? If yes, which ones?

0 Likes

Since 1.9 update, Dying Light 2 exhibits some lighting artifacts that according to  23.3.1 release no​tes should have been fixed, but I still experience them. On the other hand Dead Space color corruption seems to be fixed, or I didn't play enough to notice....  ​​​​

Sadly it's not fixed for dead space , i'm considering seriously to send back this product, it's just inexscusable to have such a poor driver support months after release of something that costs 900+$

0 Likes
Vegazord
Adept I

Ok so i found the same bug happening on a Youtube video of "Need For Speed Unbound", which uses the same engine. (Frostbite Engine)
In red this time:Need for Speed Unbound RX 7900 XTX Ryzen 7 5800X3D.jpg

0 Likes

I have the same issue in dead space remake, this is very bad , it's one of the games i play the most and it's just horrible to see on a 7900XT

0 Likes

A temporary fix is to put reflections to "low" while waiting for an eventual driver fix.

Ok this seems to help, tried it.

But sometimes I get these small black boxes appearing on/off during gameplay, kind of annoying though.

Low reflections has fixed it for now, also the new 23.3.1 driver didn't solve the issue.

I have reported it once again...

SubOxyde
Journeyman III

It's a relief I'm not the only one, and I'm using the XTX 7900xtx Merc 310. Long time ex-NVIDIA user here and this is not the best impression. Still seeing it on 23.3.1

0 Likes