cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

ThibAMD
Adept III

VSR refresh rate + Anisotropic Filtering bugged.

Submiting two news serious issues. 23.3.2 drivers here.

First one, and the most irritating  is the VSR one :

I have a 60 hz 4K screen that can do 30 hz. I can select 30 hz at my native resolution. I play all my games at 30 hz in order to get a butter smooth stutter free experience ( all FPS limiter like FRTC, RTSS and so on always introduce some micro stutter in some games ).
When using VSR with my 7900 XTX in order to play at higher resolution, i am locked to 60 hz and can't select 30 hz. VSR needs to detect ALL the refresh rate available at native resolution. Especially for 8k gaming where a smooth locked 30 FPS experience is a MUST HAVE. You advertised 8k gaming, you need to fix that issue now please. When you buy a 1000+ $ GPU , you expect it to let you play without this kind of issue, because it's just a ruining experience one. Bought it to play with VSR enabled, and now waiting for a driver fix in order to actually play.

Second one is the Anisotropic Filtering bug :

The Anisotropic Filtering setting from AMD pannel is bugged. When setting it at 16 x with 7900 XTX, it has no effect in games and acts like it's off . It works until 8x maximum.

Thanks for reading 

33 Replies
ThibAMD
Adept III

Bump

ThibAMD
Adept III

Bump, and i would like to suggest a simple idea to solve the issue. The VSR resolution needs to use the refresh rate currently in used on Desktop in native resolution.
For example , if  my native res is 4K 30 hz on Desktop and i use 8K vsr resoution in a game, the refresh rate needs to be 30 hz.

Still can't play most of my library because of that refresh rate issue. 7900 XTX currently a useless buy for me. Please fix it.

ThibAMD
Adept III

Bump

ThibAMD
Adept III

Daily bump

ThibAMD
Adept III

Daily bump

ThibAMD
Adept III

Daily bump, still can't play my games smoothly with VSR and my new 7900 XTX

ThibAMD
Adept III

Daily BUmp

ThibAMD
Adept III

Daily bump, still can't play my games smoothly with VSR and my new 7900 XTX due to that issue.

ThibAMD
Adept III

Daily bump, VSR needs to use the current refresh rate used on Desktop, and not force the default one.

ThibAMD
Adept III

bump @Matt_AMD  . Can you take this issue to the team please ? AMD advertised 8k gaming, VSR is definitely essential for that in a  lot of games, and we shouldn't be locked to the default refresh rate with it. I still can't play my games after three weeks, following my 7900 XTX buy.
Thanks

ThibAMD
Adept III

Bump

ThibAMD
Adept III

Daily bump, still can't play at 8k VSR  30 hz with my brand new 7900 XTX

ThibAMD
Adept III

Bump

ThibAMD
Adept III

Bump

ThibAMD
Adept III

ThibAMD
Adept III

Bump

ThibAMD
Adept III

ThibAMD
Adept III

Bump

ThibAMD
Adept III

ThibAMD
Adept III

Daily bump

ThibAMD
Adept III

ThibAMD
Adept III

Bump

ThibAMD
Adept III

ThibAMD
Adept III

Bump

ThibAMD
Adept III

ThibAMD
Adept III

Bump

ThibAMD
Adept III

Bump

ThibAMD
Adept III

ThibAMD
Adept III

Bump

Matt_AMD
Community Manager

When VSR is enabled, only the native refresh rate for the monitor can be used. This is a limitation of using a (virtual ) super resolution I'm afraid.

With regards to your second issue, what games are you playing that exhibit this issue of anisotropic filtering not working?

0 Likes

Thanks for the answer. Would it be possible to talk about the refresh rate issue with the team and think about a fix ? DSR from Nvidia allows users to change the refresh rate for example. And as 8K monitors are not a thing for now, VSR is almost the only thing we have to play at those resolutions. 

For the AF issue, i first saw it on Crysis 2 remastered. Then, in ff VII Remake.
It's a known issue, see this post : https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/solved-works-for-all-5k-and-6k-series-rx6800-xt-texture-f... 

The most obvious games where you can see it are games that have no in-engine AF working, and where the only way to have it is to force it with the AMD pannel. For example, Crysis 1 ( OG ) .
No AF vs 16 xAF, nothing changes, ground is blurry.
8x AF works.
Thanks for reporting that to the team.

More than a year later and they still didn't fix it. Lol. So much for reporting it to "the team".

0 Likes

You are wrong. VSR forces whatever it is the maximum refresh rate the display supports (including overclocked CUSTOM resolutions).
The only workaround I have found is to delete every resolution other than the one with your desired refresh rate using ToastyX CRU. Then you have to restart the driver. Then when you are done using VSR, you have to reset all resolutions with CRU. Then restart the driver again.
That is a lot more effort than what I used to go through while using NVIDIA's DSR. Really lazy on AMD's Devs part.

0 Likes