Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

msnake
Adept I

Video Playback Failure in Browsers, Stutterwith the New Driver Version

Hello, good day. I hope you are well.

I would like to know if you can help me because since I updated from version 23.4.3 to 23.12.1, my computer has been experiencing some issues that are not resolved by upgrading to the new version 24.2.1. Since I didn't know what could be the problem, I decided to change the main components of my computer because it was a bit old, and I assumed that could be the cause of the issue. For example, my previous motherboard did not have a PCI Express 4.0 socket, but the new one does.

For now, the issue is resolved by staying on version 23.4.3.

The problem consists of stutters during video playback on YouTube or other websites that provide video playback services. The image freezes for less than a second, and the sound makes a strange noise, as if it were stuck, but everything returns to normal immediately. Despite having changed practically the entire system, the issue persists. At first, I suspected it was a problem with the hard drive, but I changed to a new M.2 drive and the issue persists. I also changed the motherboard because I assumed that the new drivers were not adapted to have my RX6700 XT graphics card on a bus other than PCI Express 4.0, so I changed it to an Aorus Elite B550M motherboard with PCI Express 4.0. Additionally, I assumed that the memory frequency on the previous motherboard was low, so I also changed the memory from 2666 MHz to 3600 MHz. Moreover, since my old processor was an Intel Core i7 6700K, I decided to change it to a Ryzen 5 5600 (without integrated graphics). However, the issue persists after all these changes. I also reinstalled the operating system since the drive I bought is a new M.2 drive, so I had to do a fresh installation. I have the old drive stored with the other components; the only thing I kept was the new graphics card I bought last year, which, as I mentioned, is an RX 6700 XT.

I would like to highlight some points that may be important:

1. It only happens on pages that allow video playback, such as YouTube and some others.

2. If I maximize or minimize the browser window, whether it's Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Opera GX, or Opera, the issue becomes more noticeable.

3. When I hover the Windows cursor over the screen, the issue also becomes more visible.

4. I have tried with several browsers, but the issue persists.

5. When I play any high-demand video game, I have no issues. There are no screen glitches, artifacts, or shutdowns; everything works perfectly.

6. I ran the Furkmark test, and everything worked perfectly, with excellent GPU temperatures, approximately 65°C at maximum load or 68°C.

7. My monitor is a Samsung F24T35 with a 75 Hz refresh rate.

8. The operating systems I tried were Windows 10 Professional and Windows 11 Professional (the one I currently have).

If anyone can help me, I would be very grateful. I apologize for any inconvenience, and if this was not the correct forum to inquire, I apologize again, as I am new.

12 Replies
msnake
Adept I

"I don't want to stick with an old version of the driver because, for example, Counter-Strike 2 is stuttering when I play, and I believe it's due to shader loading with the old driver. At the top, it shows 'outdated driver.' When I install the new driver, the issue disappears, but the problem I mentioned earlier related to video playback arises."

Dear all, after much research, I believe I have solved the issue with my RX 6700 XT Red Devil graphics card and the stuttering problem on YouTube (without disabling hardware acceleration). Let me share my findings.

1. Upon further inspection, I noticed that the problem became more evident when playing videos in 1080p and 60 FPS. "However, this does not rule out issues on other websites."

2. My solution (hopefully helpful to those facing the same issue) was as follows:

1. In the Google Chrome browser, type the following in the search bar:

chrome://flags

2. This will open a menu. In the search box within that menu, type "choose" without quotes.

3. Locate the option "choose ANGLE graphics backend." The box will be marked as "default" by default.

4. Change the option to DX9 (DX9 worked for me), but if it doesn't work, try DX11, DX12, or in some cases, OPEN GL.

5. Once you change the option, a menu will appear at the bottom right to restart the browser.

6. The problem should be resolved.

(I will conduct 12-hour tests to ensure stability, but it seems to be working fine for now.)

I want to note that this potential solution did not originate from me; rather, I found a YouTuber who had a similar issue while researching. Here is the link to the video.

https://youtu.be/HXn7rhj3Sg8?si=waRfqnKiZANpAzq5

Thank you I will try it.

0 Likes
Cppmola2
Journeyman III

It´s happening exactly the same to me after updating to 24.x.x drivers I've tried both 24.1.1 and 24.2.1. I also have a 6700 XT.

Thank you very much for your response. Honestly, I didn't know what else to do. I tried to increase the VRAM memory frequency and also the GPU frequency with AMD software, but with no results. I also checked disabling HDCP with no results. Among other things, I changed the sampling frequency from 59.44 Hz to 60 Hz and 75 Hz, but the problem persists. The only thing that solves the problem is disabling hardware acceleration in Google Chrome (but in my opinion, it's not a good idea as I believe it wastes the computer's power).

On the other hand, besides what I mentioned earlier, another thing I did was reinstall drivers using DDU, but the problem persists.

0 Likes
JACKjcs
Journeyman III

Hi, I was having audio stutters every time I opened Opera, I disabled hardware acceleration and it seems to have been fixed, I think all browsers have that option..

I didn't have those problems before, I was on version Adrenalin 23.12.1, I updated just to check if they had improved the performance of Elden Ring with Amd GPUs and to test Fsr, the game still works the same so I guess it depends on Fromsoftware if the performance improves or not.

I have an Rx 6700 (non XT)

0 Likes

Dear all, after much research, I believe I have solved the issue with my RX 6700 XT Red Devil graphics card and the stuttering problem on YouTube (without disabling hardware acceleration). Let me share my findings.

1. Upon further inspection, I noticed that the problem became more evident when playing videos in 1080p and 60 FPS. "However, this does not rule out issues on other websites."

2. My solution (hopefully helpful to those facing the same issue) was as follows:

2. This will open a menu. In the search box within that menu, type "choose" without quotes.

3. Locate the option "choose ANGLE graphics backend." The box will be marked as "default" by default.

4. Change the option to DX9 (DX9 worked for me), but if it doesn't work, try DX11, DX12, or in some cases, OPEN GL.

5. Once you change the option, a menu will appear at the bottom right to restart the browser.

(I will conduct 12-hour tests to ensure stability, but it seems to be working fine for now.)

I want to note that this potential solution did not originate from me; rather, I found a YouTuber who had a similar issue while researching. Here is the link to the video.

0 Likes

If you're using freesync, try turning it off.

For me, either disabling freesync, OR disabling mpo fixes browser video problems.

Maybe mpo has issues with variable frame rates.

0 Likes

Dear, after much research, I believe I have solved the issue with my RX 6700 XT Red Devil graphics card and the stuttering problem on YouTube (without disabling hardware acceleration). Let me share my findings.

0 Likes

I not using Free Sync

0 Likes

I was having the same problem after updating to the latest radeon drivers (24.3.1 and 24.2.1), you must use the 24.1.1 drivers that don't give problems when you activate the freesync at 165hz or more, the newer drivers not only affect the videos in browsers but in windows app as well, I had to stop using the newer ones and use those so I don't have to disable freesync

0 Likes
iainob1
Elite

Even with the flags command in chrome and the same in Firefox and also freesync on or off all YouTube videos have a judder constant. The higher the resolution the worse it seems.

It's making videos in browsers unusable.

7900xtx latest driver.

Life's too short to be waiting around for a year for this to be fixed the card will be going back. We have been watching video in browsers for years. There's no excuse.

That and the 120w idle power draw when two monitors are used. That 10 times the idle power draw if 1 monitor at 10-12w. With the custom resolution tweak it only goes down to 100w

Window snapping is broken too once multiple monitors are used. Fine on old 1080

0 Likes